T-Mobile One Unlimited 55+

Had this for a while, but wife and I each went to Sprint with one year free. Bill for past 4 months has been about $3.50, taxes only.

Will look at T-55+ again when this year runs out. :cool:

We just got an email from VERIZON yesterday-- 55+ plan $50 for 2 lines including Mexico and Canada with unlimited text data and phone. But during high traffic they can throttle down the service. Guess they are rolling out to states but not sure I want the throttling.

We just got an email from VERIZON yesterday-- 55+ plan $50 for 2 lines including Mexico and Canada with unlimited text data and phone. But during high traffic they can throttle down the service. Guess they are rolling out to states but not sure I want the throttling.

We saw this plan last month when looking at how to best use Verizon’s international plans, and jumped on it. A bit cheaper that what we had been using for I think 4 g’s of data between the two of us, with $15 per G charged if we went over.

We saw this plan last month when looking at how to best use Verizon’s international plans, and jumped on it. A bit cheaper that what we had been using for I think 4 g’s of data between the two of us, with $15 per G charged if we went over.

Are you satisfied with the plan? Usually our surfing is at home and then on the wifi anyway so we are considering it....

We have had the plan (T-Mobile) since inception when it was $10 cheaper for 2 lines. No complaints. It has gone up since then though. Data is adequate, never experienced any throttle back. Hotspot works well but is slow, if you do not pay the premium, we do not. It was fine in Mexico and Canada for our Laptop use. I like that if you want to call Europe, or any country other than those included, you can add the international plan for a month, then discontinue it ($15) if you do not need it anymore. We have been calling EU a lot in the recent month to apply for our UK pensions. It worked well.

Are you satisfied with the plan? Usually our surfing is at home and then on the wifi anyway so we are considering it....

Same here re home wifi. We only started using it 9/26 when we got back from a 16 day trip to Spain but so far so good :LOL:. Sometimes I switch the phone to its LTE when our Comcast home wifi seems sluggish and it’s much faster. I don’t think I’ll notice throttling.

Hey - I just figured out that the current T-Mobile plans have free international texting from the US!!!

T-Mobile ONE and Simple Choice plans
If you have T-Mobile ONE, or most plans activated after November 15, 2015, you automatically have the Stateside International Text feature. This feature allows you to send and receive unlimited texts to any country in the world where texting is available (except St. Helena and Wallis & Futuna).

International texting from the U.S., Mexico, and Canada is included in our T-Mobile ONE and Simple Choice North America plan. Unlimited texting in all 210+ Simple Global countries is included in T-Mobile ONE and Simple Choice plans. There is no need to continue offering a separate service for international texting.

I knew texts were free when we were traveling overseas, but I didn't know I could send texts from the US free to (just about) any country in the world.

This is going to be handy.

Last edited:
DW & DD had been sharing a Total Wireless account (Verizon network). Coverage in the continental US was great, but absolutely nothing in Puerto Rico when we were there, and no European or Asian countries had service. It didn't even allow wi-fi calling from our hotels!

Switched them to the T-Mobile ONE 55+ plan. We did it at the kiosk in Costco. They offered a $50 rebate on EACH LINE. Only one of the two people has to be 55+ years old. No cost for the SIM cards and both their old phones work just fine.

DD streams music all day at her desk job, so she can use 8-10 Gigs of data per month. The unlimited data is great.

I was hoping that the free Netflix would be included, but it is not on the 55+ plan.

Overall we're impressed and happy. We'll see how the US coverage is when we go out in the campervan this summer.

Brian

I didn’t know about international texting. The only problem for us is that it wouldn’t be free for people we’d text. They’d have to pay to text us back internationally.

This is why we end up using WhatsApp or other IM apps.

T-Mobile is great though. I travel internationally often and I’m happy that I don’t have to deal with SIM cards. I’m in Mexico right now with the added bonus of high speeds. The only thing you have to be careful about is not using too much data when international, since T-Mobile can flag your account for excessive usage.

And, phone calls are only 20¢/minute. We spent under $15 per 22-day trip to Europe.
For us, this is a compelling feature of T-Mobile. Step off the plane and your phone works.

Phone calls are not 20c (actually now 25 cents) a minute from the US to European or other countries. They are considerably higher.

The T-mobile plans covers international calling when you are traveling overseas, it does not cover international calling from the US. You have to add a paid feature “Stateside Calling” for that capability.

Since I knew inexpensive international calling from the US was not included in my T-mobile plan I assumed that restriction also applied to international texting, so I was delighted to find out otherwise.

Last edited:
I didn’t know about international texting. The only problem for us is that it wouldn’t be free for people we’d text. They’d have to pay to text us back internationally.

This is why we end up using WhatsApp or other IM apps.

T-Mobile is great though. I travel internationally often and I’m happy that I don’t have to deal with SIM cards. I’m in Mexico right now with the added bonus of high speeds. The only thing you have to be careful about is not using too much data when international, since T-Mobile can flag your account for excessive usage.

Yep, I booked a B&B for an upcoming trip in Southern Italy.

They have a nice website but no online booking engine. The booking link takes you to a form to enter your contact details, the dates you want and a small message.

Then they email you back and ask for your credit card number.

I told them I didn't want to send my credit card number by email.

So got them to give me their WhatsApp number. Viber is similar. But I messaged the number in WhatsApp, which is end to end encrypted.

Some places won't even take credit cards yet. I have to wire a place in Austria a couple of years ago.

But unfortunately, all these people have phones with social networking apps. but not all of them have accounts set up with Skype, WhatsApp, etc.

That's why I don't use the 20 cents a call that much other than to make some calls out to them.

Because I wouldn't expect them to call my iPhone with a US number back.

And, phone calls are only 20¢/minute. We spent under $15 per 22-day trip to Europe.
For us, this is a compelling feature of T-Mobile. Step off the plane and your phone works.
+1
We just returned from an extended trip to Aus including 16 day cruise. Had access to text no matter where including on the ship using tmobile wifi.
We ae in middle of selling our home while traveling and used tmobile wife while in an Airbnb and had great connection and no cost for a 20 min convo with our realtor regarding an offer.

+1
We just returned from an extended trip to Aus including 16 day cruise. Had access to text no matter where including on the ship using tmobile wifi.
We ae in middle of selling our home while traveling and used tmobile wife while in an Airbnb and had great connection and no cost for a 20 min convo with our realtor regarding an offer.

If you use WiFi calling while overseas, the calls to and from the US are free! This was great when I had return flights cancelled a couple of times due to Hurricane Harvey. At least one I was on the phone for close to an hour due to having to hold several times. Fortunately the apartment had WiFi.

If you use WiFi calling while overseas, the calls to and from the US are free! This was great when I had return flights cancelled a couple of times due to Hurricane Harvey. At least one I was on the phone for close to an hour due to having to hold several times. Fortunately the apartment had WiFi.

... that leads to the question. If you're on Wi-FI in Europe, do local (to the european city you're in) calls count as international calls from the US (at ~$1.99/min) or are as local calls ( at $0.25/min) ?

Is this a contract locking a person in for a set time, or could I buy the 55+ plan for 2 months ?

It’s month by month. We once purchased the Simple Choice plan for a little over a month, and when we closed it they prorated the second month.

... that leads to the question. If you're on Wi-FI in Europe, do local (to the european city you're in) calls count as international calls from the US (at ~$1.99/min) or are as local calls ( at $0.25/min) ?
Any calls to local numbers while in Europe are charged at $0.25 a minute whether on cell connection or via WiFi calling. I’m not sure how far that “local” range is either, maybe in number in the country or whatever?

It’s only when back in the US/Canada/Mexico that calls to Europe would be at the ~$1.99/min rate.

We have 4 devices that are cellular enabled. Does anyone know what T Mobile charges for this?

I have been with T-Mobile since they began. We currently have 5 phones and a tablet on our bill. My DH is a veteran and we have mobile one on all phones and pay $130 per month for unlimited voice, text and unlimited data on all 5 phones. Tablet has no voice but has unlimited text and data. They have excellent customer service. If you are a veteran you can get what would be your total bill cut in half with T-Mobile by being a veteran. You just have to ask.

We have traveled all over the country and have not had any problems except when in out of the way camping. No one had a signal when that far out.

I don't know what you would pay exactly but you should give T-Mobile a call and see what they can do for you.

Last edited:
We signed up for the 55 and over plan (DW is the one who qualified), and it's good overall - but we have definite gaps in coverage. The most frustrating one is at the Kroger a half mile from my house. It's literally within a few hundred feet of multiple subs of 300+ houses, but even in the parking lot, I barely can get coverage.

Coverage INSIDE the store is non-existent. The CVS we use is nearby also, and same problem there.

Net, having come from AT&T, I do find the coverage for T-Mobile to be less (perhaps significantly so). Hoping that when the merger with Sprint is complete that it gets better..

Hard to argue with the monthly cost, though! Probably 60% of what we'd pay w/AT&T..

free mlb.tv for tmobile baseball fans

One more benefit for TMobile customers, for the 4th year in a row they're offering free mlb.tv for live streaming of MLB baseball games (see https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb).

I believe you need to sign up by April 1st.

They also have a couple of freebies every Tuesday (Tmobile Tuesday) when you install their app. E.g., free redbox movie rental, $2 Dunkin Donuts gift card, free Taco Bell taco. They rotate the offers, though the Taco Bell is every week. These freebies are per phone number, so since we're TMobile 55+, me and Mrs. RetiredAt55.5 both get these.

Back
Top Bottom