Taking care of Mom!

Sorry to hear how tough things are, Chinaco.

Although it may not be relevant for you, be sure to learn about what hospice could offer. A doctor has to certify that the person likely has 6 months or less left to live to be enrolled.

My mom was enrolled last July. Hospice will provide equipment, send someone to the house to give her a bath, spend time with her, even clean the house to help out. A great organization.

In our case, Mom continued to hang on, and was kicked out of hospice. She's living at my sister one's house with sister two currently being the primary caregiver, and is mostly bedridden.

It's a great strain, and is destroying some of the relationships between us siblings.

TromboneAl said:
It's a great strain, and is destroying some of the relationships between us siblings.

Thanks Al. Sorry to hear about your situation also.

You are correct, this type of situation can put a strain on the siblings.

If the nursing facility is medicare/medicaid certified their last health department review is available on the medicare website. ABSOLUTELY read the health department reports. Sometimes the facility that looks a little warn actually gives the best care, and some that look the slickest don't give good care.

Brat said:
If the nursing facility is medicare/medicaid certified their last health department review is available on the medicare website. ABSOLUTELY read the health department reports. Sometimes the facility that looks a little warn actually gives the best care, and some that look the slickest don't give good care.

Agreed. I looked at the info posted on the medicare site.

I think the thing to do is research, interview, make a decision based on the available info. Also have a backup plan... Be on a waiting list of a backup NH. Watch the situation when she is placed in the NH to ensure things are working out. If there seems to be problems, move her to the other NH.

on medicid but family paying extra??

Does anyone know if the parent has no assets hoe they handle paying the medicare?

What I am wondering about is if I were willing to pay to send my mother to a better facility would I have to pay it all and medicaid consider her to have assets since I am willing to pay, or would there be some way that medicaid would pay and i could pay extra to improve her quality of care.

I think someone mentioned places where they allowed you to come in and help. Is it possible to hire someone to come in besides the normal staff?

Any ideas?

Re: on medicid but family paying extra??

joesxm said:
What I am wondering about is if I were willing to pay to send my mother to a better facility would I have to pay it all and medicaid consider her to have assets since I am willing to pay, or would there be some way that medicaid would pay and i could pay extra to improve her quality of care.
Any ideas?

Medicare only pays for about (something like) 90 days of NH... mainly to recouperate, not for LTC.

State Medicaid supplies the funding for people who are broke. I would not suggest tht you sing-up to care for Mom. You will be responsible financially... there is no way of telling where things might go.

You need to study the medicaid polisy in your state regarding LTC to understand the finer points.

Here is an idea. Provided your mother does not have creditors after her... you could sell her house and use those funds to get her into a better home. Or you could just do a one-time gift to her.

Having money does not guarantee better treatment... you need to do your homework. Plus, you will never know until you begin watching over time. Some NH seem to be better at handling certain types of problems.

What you need to consider is that some facilities only have some % of their beds dedicated to Medicaid and if one of those beds is not available when she exhausts her funds, she will be asked to leave. You need to check the NH policies.

One other important item: You need to be proactive and get power of attorney for Financial and Health. Otherwise, you will wind up in court getting guardianship once they are unable to make rational decisions.

I read stuff like this and get really scared. My mom is getting more and more limited. And stepdad has prostate cancer - hormones have stopped working, so we're looking at some pretty heavy options soon. And I'm Mom's only child, so caregiving will fall to me - nobody to help out. And she can't afford LTC insurance - if she could find a company that would cover her. My cancer history makes it impossible for me to find that kind of insurance.

I feel for you. You and your family are in my prayers.

L

Actually cancer may not disqualify because once the insured needs care hospice coverage may kick in. The big risk for LTC insurers is Parkinson's, strokes and brain conditions which cause extended periods of incapacity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom