Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome back CFB. Hope things keep getting better for you, and I'm sure they will, you are definitely one smart bunny and a survivor desipte the bad times.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Word to the wise: be careful about maing sure there are never any misunderstandings. Your kind of set up is of course completely harmless, but a divorced guy with "free candy" in the house and lots of kids running around raises the risk for wagging tongues and misunderstandings.
Eh, I'll just work it out with their mommies while the kids are in school. Somebody did say I needed more hobbies

If that doesn't work, I have two video cameras inside the house that record everything. Which by the way, ends all of those "he said/she said" arguments in the game room.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #43

Welcome back - you know that bacon thread is still going - you should head on over there and add to it :-)

Sorry to hear about the travails, but you seem like a resilient guy.....and that attitude gets one very far.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome back, time flies. I am kind of intrigued by this, I don't think it means more money, so what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Retirement wise, a lot of people ask if you can go too early and I always said "HELL NO!", but I found as I approached 50 I wished I'd done more, but I've been out of work for nearly 12 years now and I think I'd have a hell of a time getting myself employed right now.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #45

Thanks for the update, it's nice to know what has been going on with you.

Congratulations on dropping the weight and regaining your health. I hope the next four years are a bit smoother for you.

-helen
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #46

And to join the "welcome home, thanks for the update" chorus, good to hear that after a rough patch, things are looking good in the CFB world. I had to share the geriatric pet part with DH, as we've got that situation around here, though I'm glad yours are still hanging in there. And congrats on raising what sounds like a great kid in Gabe!

There are still plenty of times we will be trying to decide something or another around the house, and I'll think: now what would CFB do? Wish we'd had your input before we started the latest, which is jacking up the sinking house, thanks to some issues with the I-beams. Ah the joys of home ownership.

Again, thanks for the update and the good news, and sorry for the bad news in there, too. I hope the split remains amicable, your health continues to improve, and Gabe grows up to be much like his dad.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landover View Post
Welcome back, time flies. I am kind of intrigued by this, I don't think it means more money, so what is it?
Its just about accomplishment. I've seen a lot of people in their 30's and early 40's who ask "Am I retiring too soon?". 12 years ago I said "I've traveled around 2/3 of the world, worked a lot of crazy jobs from short order cook to systems programmer to salesman to middle management, dated like crazy and taken on all sorts of insane challenges, and it all worked out. Am I done? Yeah. Time to be a husband and father and be satisfied with that."

The right answer was "I'm done for a while, then I'm going to want to do more" especially when the husband thing goes out the window".

So while I often said "Go now if you can", my advice to young dreamers is to hang in there and not be looking back when they're in their 50's and 60's, wishing they'd done more. Its not about money. Not that money hurts.

I can probably go to 90 without working, but a little part time job with health benefits would go a long way to assuring that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

CFB,
Welcome back, and thanks for the update. Like others, I'm sorry about the recent challenges, but glad to hear the current vector is positive.
Now--on to discussions of HVAC, pancakes, kayaks, and how to get along well with your mailman.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Welcome back - you know that bacon thread is still going - you should head on over there and add to it :-)

Sorry to hear about the travails, but you seem like a resilient guy.....and that attitude gets one very far.
I'll get by, I've dealt with tougher stuff than this and lived. The old "this too shall pass" works well.

I eat a piece or two of bacon every day, although I've fallen into the precooked bacon trap. Its too easy to buy a pound of cooked bacon at costco for ten bucks. Every once in a while I get some nice niman ranch applewood smoked stuff, and my charcuterie girl also makes her own absolutely delicious bacon, and I get that in my club pack.

Made my own a couple of times, but I went off the pork belly path and made bacon from baby back ribs. Won't keep like bacon as the bones dont fully cure, but cured for 4 days, smoked and grilled and you're eating baby backs that taste like bacon. Oh look, I have a picture! Now I just need a rabbit so I can put this on its head...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rib bacon.jpg (199.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I hope the split remains amicable, your health continues to improve, and Gabe grows up to be much like his dad.
The split is going pretty wobbly, but I think it'll be okay. Since we already did the financial split, the intellectually hard part is done. I think doing that while dealing with emotional issues and a total change of routine and lifestyle is too much for most people. Its too much for me, to be sure. My BP has been nice since I lost weight, but during our last big hard discussion I hit 170/105 for a while and had to destress for two days.

Gabe is a total mini-me. Which sometimes isn't that great. Like when he was 3.5 and we were taking a walk and some lady did the old "I think I'll back down my driveway at warp 5 while looking forward and talking on the phone" manuever, and when I started banging on her trunk so she wouldn't run us over, Gabe yelled out "Hey douchebag!".

Sigh.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Damn, 80 lbs on med's. Guess I'm going to have to do more hiking with the mutt.

Welcome back.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #52

Welcome back! I've missed the debates you used to have with CT.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Welcome back! I've missed the debates you used to have with CT.
Yeah, all those old debates were fun. Anyone remember the guy who said the chances of lots of people losing their homes because they made the mistake of trying to arb a mortgage in a long term cyclic recession were low?

How'd that work out?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Welcome back, fartblossom...
I've always loved that warm, sentimental streak you have.

Nice to hear from you, CFB. You sound less sure of yourself than you used to be (that's a good thing). You'll come out of it just fine, maybe better than the original version.

Best,
Rich

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Eh, I'll just work it out with their mommies while the kids are in school. Somebody did say I needed more hobbies

If that doesn't work, I have two video cameras inside the house that record everything. Which by the way, ends all of those "he said/she said" arguments in the game room.
That could get you into trouble.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

CT pops up now and then over at Bogleheads - heh heh heh. Still have my 30 yr mortgage but I enjoyed Bacon and Bunnies with stuff on their head much more.

Now retiring from ER after a say 20 yr career and commiting some sinful deed like returning to w*#k!

heh heh heh - seems like you have a 'full time' schedule now anyway.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
That could get you into trouble.
Jeez and I was looking at it as the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I've always loved that warm, sentimental streak you have.
Sweet, isnt it?

Quote:
Nice to hear from you, CFB. You sound less sure of yourself than you used to be (that's a good thing). You'll come out of it just fine, maybe better than the original version.
Good to see you again Rich! Suffice it to say I've lived a life of great uncertainty the last few years, and uncertainty is the root of all evil. Along with sugar. Things are quickly becoming less uncertain for me.

But don't worry, I'm still a cocky little <insert whatever word I'd have used that the censor filter would have run over>
Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
CT pops up now and then over at Bogleheads - heh heh heh. Still have my 30 yr mortgage but I enjoyed Bacon and Bunnies with stuff on their head much more.

Now retiring from ER after a say 20 yr career and commiting some sinful deed like returning to w*#k!

heh heh heh - seems like you have a 'full time' schedule now anyway.
Hey Mick, been wondering what became of the original e-r.org curmudgeon!

I do have a full time schedule. I get up at 3 or 4am at times and get more done before the marines wake up! But sadly 5 of my 6 pets are unlikely to still be alive in a year or two, and my son is already complaining when I kiss him goodbye at school. So its going to get lighter in weight and heavier in heart...
Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my son is already complaining when I kiss him goodbye at school.
We were all like that. I remember when I was a kid I had the flu once and the first day back to school it was raining. My mom walked me all the way to the front door with an umbrella over my head, totally humiliating me. I know she was just doing what she thought was best.......but damn, I still remember that day some 50+ years later.