Thanks for a great forum (ER.org) and Moderators

I want to add my thanks also. I had been early retired many years when I found this site but I still have gotten a lot of wisdom here and fun too.

That being said, I'd love to see a political forum where people could really take the gloves off. (unmoderated)
There are plenty of them out there, have at it.

I for one would hate to see that nonsense here, I’ve never found a political forum online that wasn’t overrun with (mindless) partisans.

Last edited:
Thank you to the moderators and members!! I have learned a lot on many topics. There are very knowledgeable people here. Thank you!

I hadn’t really stopped to think about the work that goes into moderating a forum with no pay. So nice that people are willing to do so.

Thanks to all members who continue to provide a vast amount of valuable retirement related information. I couldn’t have retired as early as I did without the help of the folks on this board.

I’m going on 12 years here, and the ever changing moderator team has always managed the site very well. And the mod team is just that - a team. A team that manages the site by consensus among the moderators. As a former mod, I’m aware of (and thankful for) the amount of dedication that the current mods have to this site.

The members of ER.org make it a great place. Though I've been driving property values down here for over 14 years, I learn something new every day. Nords once told me that, in the case of any significant decision/purchase, etc, his DW would always ask him if he had run it by the ER crowd already. I can't count the number of my decisions that have been improved by folks here--or the good ideas I stole and never would have thought of on my own. We have a lot of smart, generous folks here, that's for sure. I'm very thankful that I stumbled into this place.

I found and joined this site in 2012. It was how we learned to plan for retirement.

The mod's do a very good job.....I know as I can get abit rambunctious at times....especially if I have been into the Dirty Bird....
nyZzJ2Mt.png

Great site and ms. gamboolgal and I are thankful for it and the way it is run. And for the members and their posts.

We are planning to retire at the end of 2019, in no small part due to the knowledge and principles that we learned here.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Like almost everyone who posted before me, I've learned a lot here, at no charge! It's almost like having a personal financial planner/CPA available 24-7.

Thank You

That being said, I'd love to see a political forum where people could really take the gloves off. (unmoderated)
It's been done, Own, it was a flaming cesspool of toxic wasted effort, and I don't think any moderators here will try it again.

Have a good time over at Reddit. I'm sure you'll find one there, or start one and moderate it the way you want it to be.

Nords once told me that, in the case of any significant decision/purchase, etc, his DW would always ask him if he had run it by the ER crowd already.
We still do!

Thank you, moderators for all your efforts and participants for your contributions.
I found this forum long before ER, learned that ER is possible and how to do it right.

A great big thanks to the mods and forum members for making this forum such a great resource! [emoji106]

Love the wide-ranging topics and knowledgeable, helpful posters...and the mod team who keep things running like a fine Swiss watch. [emoji16]

omni

I don't have a crystal ball.
Have you been on a political forum elsewhere? What was that like? I’ve waded into a few as I’d welcome a thoughtful political discusssion welcoming many POVs. But every political forum I’ve looked in on was overrun by mindless partisans from both/all sides, many resorting to personal attacks over substance. And that’s on forums that are otherwise pretty civil.

Last edited:
Agree completely.

Respectful, informative, intelligent and edifying conversation is always so much more productive than people repeatedly and vociferously stating well known political positions...

Have you been on a political forum elsewhere? What was that like? I’ve waded into a few as I’d welcome a thoughtful political discusssion welcoming many POVs. But every political forum I’ve looked in on was overrun by mindless partisans from both/all sides, many resorting to personal attacks over substance. And that’s on forums that are otherwise pretty civil.

The City Data political forum is a harsh example of what you mentioned.

The City Data political forum is a harsh example of what you mentioned.
And honestly, that's one of the tamest I've seen.

Have you been on a political forum elsewhere? What was that like? I’ve waded into a few as I’d welcome a thoughtful political discussion welcoming many POVs. But every political forum I’ve looked in on was overrun by mindless partisans from both/all sides, many resorting to personal attacks over substance. And that’s on forums that are otherwise pretty civil.

Yeah, that's what I've found on FB (I stay there because I enjoy keeping up with family and friends). The few people I've Unfriended or stopped following were all over the political spectrum; what they had in common was an inability to consider opposing points of view and the willingness to mindlessly re-post anything that supported their own, without fact-checking or doing some basic math.

....without fact-checking or doing some basic math.

So many have no comprehension of history, economics, human nature, and, and .....

I drop in every day. Many of the threads are US-oriented but often they are identified so it is easy to skip over them. I probably miss some off-topic discussions that way. But the threads that I read always provide valuable insights.

Thanks to the many unsung heroes who keep it on the rails. I use the Report Post button if needed but that is very seldom. A sign of good moderation.

Thanks to everyone on this site! It has become my favorite due to the variety of subjects and knowledge there of.

I appreciate it too. I especially appreciate the ability discuss topics that are difficult to discuss with friends or family for whatever reason. I appreciate that many contributors are willing to share their experiences- some have/had situations similar to mine and have been incredibly helpful.

I enjoy reading thoughtful posts from members with different points of view from my own. And I appreciate everyone for keeping the discussion respectful. I have learned a lot and enjoyed being here!

Add my thanks to all the Moderators.

Also thanks to folks here for keeping it civil. I'm quite selective nowadays on political news as it's emotional dynamite and often just writers (often hidden) pocket book issues.

Back
Top Bottom