That Wacky Texas Weather

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
What do you get when you cross a dry spring, a bone-dry summer, a very wet September and October and a sunny, unseasonably warm late fall?

Not only a lot of bugs, but this. Just taken on November 15. Looks like some seeds may have flown 100 feet from our bird feeder earlier this year to give us this once it started raining. A little more than two months ago, this was all dry and parched:

sunflower-20091115.jpg

Last edited:
What do you get when you cross a dry spring, a bone-dry summer, a very wet September and October and a sunny, unseasonably warm late fall?

Snowbirds?:cool:

˙sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝq ʇɥƃıɯ sɹossǝɹƃƃɐ uɹǝɥʇɹou 'ɥɥs

How lush and green, like a jungle! I'll bet you are doing a lot of mowing these days (to make up for all the mowing you had to skip last summer).

How lush and green, like a jungle! I'll bet you are doing a lot of mowing these days (to make up for all the mowing you had to skip last summer).
I've been mowing every weekend since mid-September. This particular clump of growth was "spared" the turning blades because of its proximity to tree stumps and a pile of rocks buried by the greenery.

We may get a freeze here tonight, which I hope will come and start sending all this growth into dormancy (no more mowing for a while) and take care of the bugs.

I've been mowing every weekend since mid-September. This particular clump of growth was "spared" the turning blades because of its proximity to tree stumps and a pile of rocks buried by the greenery.

We may get a freeze here tonight, which I hope will come and start sending all this growth into dormancy (no more mowing for a while) and take care of the bugs.

Amazing!! Drought, record heat, torrential rainfall, and now freezing weather. It has been quite a (weather) year in central Texas.

We are in that delightful temperature range in which I am not inspired to run either the heater or the A/C. I think it was just under 60 last night, and highs will be in the upper 70's today. I do love the weather here, when it doesn't include a named storm.

What is growing by the sunflower? Sorghum? Corn?
I believe it's corn. I think the same forces that threw the sunflower seed way out here probably blew some corn seed out here, too.

Some of the "blue bark" is because of the shadows and overcast, and some was my laziness in changing camera settings from some closeup/macro stuff I was doing previously under different lighting.

Back
Top Bottom