Join Early Retirement Today

That's it, Winter's Over
Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's it, Winter's Over

Out for a walk this morning, there was a raucous bird party going on in some trees. A few hundred Robins, the first I've seen this year. In a little bit, they will move on North. Last week I noticed that Bradford Pear trees had pink tips, which is the color the blossoms are when they first start out.

Supposed to be in the 60's again today, though a strong NW wind picked up in the last hour. It's up to 50 degrees now, but with a 20-25 MPH wind, that can feel cold.

Oh yeah... don't move to Texas. We're closed. Due to that tourist getting bit by a coopacabra. Rabies involved. We're afraid we're going to lose the coopacabra. The Tourist will be put down. They don't know who to charge, the tourist wasn't wearing a tag.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Oh yeah... don't move to Texas. We're closed.
I'm willing to make an exception for anyone who brings rain.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #3

I'm not sure Winter is over yet. It got down in the 40's last night, I had to turn the electric blanket on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
No doubt. Maybe even buy them a beer and a chopped beef sandwich. My son and I were in Junction over the New Year to do some deer harvesting and I have not seen it this dry in more than ten years. We kicked up dust clouds just walking around.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know about that Robin bird thing anymore. I'm from Indianapolis, it was 10 below zero last week, and there were 5 of them sunning themselves on the edge of my roof. I just don't know if they head south anymore or not. Maybe they just like our big-treed neighborhood and all that expensive bird-feed my wife puts out.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rain...heck, I can give you rain. I live in N Yorkshire here in England. But I still don't want to live in Texas....I plan to retire to Spokane and get a little "decent" winter rather than this cold windy rain. It might be absolutely beautiful here, but I am yearning for a little dry cold weather right now.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

A few days age here in Pennsylvania we had the coldest weather in 15 years it was -10* the one day and -7* the other.

Winter will be over here in May!

Must be all this global warming causing these record lows!

Jim
Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #7

Supposed to hit 82 here today. However, I understand Texas is nice this time of year.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

There's not a cloud in the sky here in the Finger Lakes!
(It's 18F at the moment)
The sun is brightly shining...
(on our 12-14" of snow from the past 2 weeks)
& the water's surface is calm.
(under ~8"-10" of ice)

But then, it's prolly a great day to be anywhere & ER'd...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #9

Got 2 feet of snow here in Pennsylvania. Doesn't look like it will ever leave.

Must be nice in Texas right now.

Free
Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Out for a walk this morning, there was a raucous bird party going on in some trees. A few hundred Robins, ...
Little iffy about the Robins though.

Journey North American Robin

In any event, it is Ground Hogs not Robins that are the harbingers of Spring. However, if you sight a herd of raucous Ground Hogs, all bets are off.

It is 63 here right now and "they" tell me it will stay that way for a few more days and then revert back to normal.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #11

Texas gets winter? Come on up to Canada and we'll talk Winter
Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey baby check out the nine months of rain, freezing fog, and scattered showers I bring to the table.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Not bad, at least until we have to start drinking dust because there's no water left.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Not bad, at least until we have to start drinking dust because there's no water left.
When I lived in Houston, it got an average of 44 inches of rain with some years up to 60 when a real big hurricane blew in.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Damn weather man lied today. Was suppose to be 54 and sunny so I recruit a buddy to go play golf. Well......never got above 48, cloudy, and winds were blowing close to 20 mph. Just about froze my a$$ off. High tomorrow, 40 degrees. Suppose to be back in the 60's Thursday. I'm staying by the fire until then.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Don't know about that Robin bird thing anymore. I'm from Indianapolis, it was 10 below zero last week, and there were 5 of them sunning themselves on the edge of my roof. I just don't know if they head south anymore or not.
What you have there, are slackers!

Quote:
Little iffy about the Robins though.
Journey North American Robin
I'm sure these were snowbirds from up North... they had little license plates on them!

Quote:
Rain...heck, I can give you rain. I live in N Yorkshire here in England. But I still don't want to live in Texas....I plan to retire to Spokane and get a little "decent" winter rather than this cold windy rain.
That is an excellent plan. I approve. Weather has been very nice in Spokane this winter, especially about 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
I'm willing to make an exception for anyone who brings rain
In 2005-2006, we were in the extreme or severe, whichever is worse, drought level. Lake level way down, water restrictions. With the expansive clay soil, just about every house in the neighborhood had to have foundation repair (pressed piers). It was so dry that all the usual tricks stopped working. When you go further out on the property, and see cracks 5-6 inches wide in the ground, and can hear street sounds from East Beijing emanating from the cracks at night, you know it's bad!

Quote:
Just on the surface. Deep underground, bad things are happening.
Fire Ants are in training to respond much quicker to perceived provocation. Chiggers are rebuilding their numbers to launch an all-out attack on humanity.
Termites are dreaming of new wood to conquer, to boldly go where no termite has gone before.
And Ebola, well, it's too scary to think about.

And it's just a little over 2 months till big ice season starts. I cringe just thinking of the sounds.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Back in January 2007 there was an extreme warm spell followed by an extreme cold spell. A robin showed up and I kept him alive with cat food* and a heated water dish.

*He would land on the patio and would back off to the edge while I tossed out a handful of cheap cat food.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Colorado is having a spring interlude.

Yesterday, I saw a man running without a shirt on. Right now it is 59 degrees and I am going for a bike ride.

My apologies to the folks having normal January weather.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

20F in East Nowhere NY, sun is out, it is NOT snowing.
we're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave...
Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 AM   #20

We still have a little snow on the ground although it should be gone by the end of the week when temps hit the mid-40's.

So I'll take the motorcycle out and do some more parking lot figure eights. I'm not counting on doing much more of that until March/April though.