Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The greatest army in the world? What is going on.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Before Iraq, the whole world thought that our military was invincible with it's high-tech weaponry and fabulous logistics capability.

The worst thing about Iraq is that the whole world now knows that the Most Expensive "Greatest Army in the World" can be defeated soundly by a rag-tag bunch of civilians with never-secured explosives and garage-door-openers. Our high-technology weapons are meaningless in this type of insurgency-based warfare.

JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
Before Iraq, the whole world thought that our military was invincible with it's high-tech weaponry and fabulous logistics capability.

The worst thing about Iraq is that the whole world now knows that the Most Expensive "Greatest Army in the World" can be defeated soundly by a rag-tag bunch of civilians with never-secured explosives and garage-door-openers. Our high-technology weapons are meaningless in this type of insurgency-based warfare.

JohnP
This post is exactly what I mean!

we went into Iraq supposedly destroyed the Iraqi army and left the weapons depots unguarded!

Sure we got rid of saddam but we never defeated them. We let them GO HOME and they have come back to fight another day. If you listen to Bush he keeps saying we are gonna WIN. Uh HOW?? unless we send in 300,000 more troops and kill everyone we will win nothing and killing everyone is NOT an option now. If we stay Iraq will look like gaza and the west bank 50 years from now.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles
The average Iraqi was way better off under Saddam Hussein.
I think that quote embodies the ultimate survivor bias...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
Yep, just like the USS THRESHER. And before Vietnam. And the USS PUEBLO. And the USS SCORPION. And the USS LIBERTY. And the SS MAYAGUEZ. And the USS BONEFISH. And Beirut. And Grenada. And Panama. And the USS STARK. And the USS TRIPOLI & SAMUEL B. ROBERTS. And Somalia. Heck, this is just the Navy list.

While the media & politicians may have formed their own impressions of invincibility, every year the mighty U.S. military is humbled by its own. I don't think very many people in uniform believe that they and their shipmates have formed an invincible team, and most veterans are convinced that we only "won" in spite of our own efforts.

Unfortunately the lessons "learned" during exercises are only usually only applied to preparing for the last war. It's just not cost-effective or persuasive to get funding for the "next" war...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
"Vanity Fair"?? Are you a girlie man?
No, but I hang out with girls sometimes. Don't you ?

Old 10-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles
No, but I hang out with girls sometimes. Don't you ?

Not much any more.

JG
Old 10-21-2006, 09:56 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

What's stupid about Iraq is not the desire to control oil, oust a dictator or find wmd, it the impossibility of attempting to marry democracy and Islam. The two are incompatible in a muslim-majority country. Spend some time at http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/ for the skinny on what's happening around the world that the media won't touch.