The meaning of Rich

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I always liked this. Not sure if anyone has read "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark. I haven't but have heard a lot of good comments on the book.

Attachments

• full-269-1583-being_rich[1].jpg
    full-269-1583-being_rich[1].jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 170
Nowadays, we need a little more to be happy.

Like an Internet connection to surf the Web, and to chat on a forum. :)

That is true, for me with a very humble upbringing, it doesn't take to much, but yes I sure would miss the things you mentioned.

Just jesting. I totally agree that one does not need to have "everything" in order to be happy.

It's wonderful to live in this modern age, where everything is so affordable and everyone can have things not imaginable 20 years ago. Instead of the latest $2000 foldable smartphone, one can be happy with something 1/10 the price.

I believe in the law of diminishing returns. I never crave to have the best of anything.

I like the definition Pirkei Avot gives, simple and straight forward. He who is happy with what he has is rich:

"Who is a rich man?
One who is happy with his portion, as it is said, “You shall enjoy the fruit of your labors; you shall be happy and it will be good for you.” "

I got all the stuff that Ruark mentions except the boat. Boat coming soon!

Being rich is being able to write this post at 1:25pm on a Wednesday instead of being at work.

I'll be rich when I can afford subjects in my sentences

Don't know what it is, but do know what it's not: me.

Still at the sweatshop, so not rich. Maybe someday...

His list is a little different than mine, but I agree with Mr. Ruark and Dtail.

Sometimes more stuff equals more stress. I owned an aircraft a few years back and while it was a lot of fun to travel around whenever I chose to fly, the constant outlay of $$ drove me nuts. Hangar fees, maintenance costs, insurance, annual property tax (just like a house), fuel, etc, made the flight-hour cost way more than if I just rented a plane at the local FBO. Even though I could easily afford it, there was a low-level angst that drove me to sell it after about 4 years.

I got all the stuff that Ruark mentions except the boat. Boat coming soon!

Darn, I missed that about the boat.

I did notice the fishing pole being mentioned, and I do not even have that, but let it pass because I like to eat fish but just buy it in stores.

I am definitely not rich because I do not own the above 2 things. The picture also shows some dogs, which I also do not have. My cat died a few years ago, and I have not gotten myself a replacement kitty.

I am poor!

Last edited:
I had a college roommate we called Rollo. He grew up in an incredible antebellum mansion with a 150 acre manicured front yard and miles of white wood fencing. The horse barn was full of show horses that cost $100K as a yearling. Knock on the front door and a butler answered. He also served us at meals that were prepared by a cook. His mother never cooked a meal in her life. And I cannot recall anyone leaving that house sober. Their friends were elitists.

Yes, they were rich in some ways but not in others. The parents divorced after 30 years of marriage. And inflation is especially an enemy of trust funds setup in the 30's. Two generations later, no one is rich monetarily. Sometimes rich is a timely thing.

Sometimes more stuff equals more stress. I owned an aircraft a few years back and while it was a lot of fun to travel around whenever I chose to fly, the constant outlay of $$ drove me nuts. Hangar fees, maintenance costs, insurance, annual property tax (just like a house), fuel, etc, made the flight-hour cost way more than if I just rented a plane at the local FBO. Even though I could easily afford it, there was a low-level angst that drove me to sell it after about 4 years.
So true, it's even true with money, it can cause stress.

The two best days in a boat owners life....the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.

I may get another small 14' with an electric trolling motor, but no more ski boats for me.

Everyone wanted a day on the lake, but I always felt responsible for their enjoyment, and safety....angst !

I would delete the gun and the box of shells (when I first read it, I thought he was talking about sea shells which sounded a bit odd).

We would all be much richer and happier in a society where there are no guns!

The two best days in a boat owners life....the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.

I may get another small 14' with an electric trolling motor, but no more ski boats for me.

Everyone wanted a day on the lake, but I always felt responsible for their enjoyment, and safety....angst !

Me neither. Just a little outboard for fishing.

I would delete the gun and the box of shells (when I first read it, I thought he was talking about sea shells which sounded a bit odd).

We would all be much richer and happier in a society where there are no guns!
I'll take your share of guns and shells!!!!

I have 3 shotguns and hundreds of shells. No ducks, sporting clays, skeet and trap!

I only kill fish - :)

Never read this one, but I loved Robert Roark books

Back
Top Bottom