The next generation coming of age - We are all doomed !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the title: We are all doomed !
I don't know where you live, or who you interact with, but I converse with all sorts of people on all sides of many issues, and many of them make statements of that sort in full and complete candor. I cannot count the number of times I've heard a sentence that fits this pattern: "All these [insert minority group name here]s moving into our area!!! It's going to cause [insert catastrophe here]!" Hundreds of times, not dozens.

If you mean sarcasm, then specify sarcasm specifically. Tonal nuance doesn't come across online.

If you mean sarcasm, then specify sarcasm specifically. Tonal nuance doesn't come across online.

Surely that spoils the fun? (Personally I've found that, unless someone is really bad at delivering sarcasm, irony, or facetiousness, it's relatively easy to interpret; and if they are bad at it I generally don't read their submissions anyway.)

Your characterization of it makes it seem to me that you missed an opportunity to improve your organization for the long-term.

Well, in our particular case, there was no long term. The company was in the process of being acquired.

The acquiring company was even more staid, stuffy and conservative than we were; it is part of their brand. No pool tables or casual Fridays. (or drinking in the office)

Surely that spoils the fun?
The fun of having people respond to your comments based on a very predictable misunderstanding of what you were trying to say? Ooooookay.

Well, in our particular case, there was no long term. The company was in the process of being acquired.The acquiring company was even more staid, stuffy and conservative than we were; it is part of their brand. No pool tables or casual Fridays. (or drinking in the office)
And so the question gets carried over to there... Did your company miss an opportunity to start changing itself so it could have some forward-looking positive influence on the acquiring company?

Until last year, I was working for a company that was acquired by a subsidiary of one of those "staid, stuffy and conservative" companies... grounded in the "staid, stuffy and conservative" German-run tradition. When the subsidiary was acquired, agreements were made - agreements about changes to culture. Of course, those agreements just applied to the subsidiary (which, after its acquisition, was about 20% of the whole company, incidentally). However, it didn't take long until bleed-over. By the time the subsidiary acquired our company, the "staid, stuffy and conservative" was gone from all but the executive offices of the parent company headquarters.

America, meet your future leaders. These young people are outstanding. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...iticians-vote-them-out?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Agreed. My spouse and I greatly wish we could have been there to support these remarkable young people and their efforts.

Last edited:
I think there is naturally a lot of fear on the part of older generations as younger generations come to the fore and become more of the drivers of society. It's always been that way. There is little doubt that many of our parents and grandparents made comparably baseless statements about us when we became the movers and shakers of society.

Very well said.

And so the question gets carried over to there... Did your company miss an opportunity to start changing itself so it could have some forward-looking positive influence on the acquiring company?

We were focused on the strike price. That's how I RE'd.

America, meet your future leaders. These young people are outstanding.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...iticians-vote-them-out?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

+1. Agreed!

But here is what I worry about: What happens 2, 3 or 6 months from now? Will this movement continue or will it become a faded memory?

Three months ago it was the #metoo movement, and three months before that it was something else....I don't remember (exactly my point).

I fear 'movement fatigue' in the public eye for these kids. In a year, there'll be massive marches for 2 or 3 other "we're not gonna take it anymore" causes.

Then they'll become disillusioned and frustrated as business as usual continues.

I was very impressed with the college graduates our company hired. They were ambitious, articulate, and smart. I can't wait to see what the future brings with these young people. Many Einsteins among us.

Do you think the evolution of society has enabled a whole new master class to emerge?

I don't but I am willing to be educated on it. My offspring are gap kids: parents too old and kids too young.

I would bet that the younger generation does better than us overall. That's how mankind/personkind progresses.
The concept of progress is very much over-assumed.
Things change, and in some technical and important ways there is progress (medicine, technology) but it might be very hard to prove overall social progress. Unless one uses lifespan- so- far as the sole dimension to examine, it is very likely that life is more likely to be cyclical than progressive.

Hard to see how the 20th century with its mass butcheries could be seen as an overall improvement over any earlier historical time.

Ha

Last edited:
The concept of progress is very much over-assumed. Things change, and in some technical and important ways there is progress (medicine, technology) but it might be very hard to prove overall social progress. Unless one uses lifespan- so- far as the sole dimension to examine, it is very likely that life is more likely to be cyclical than progressive. Hard to see how the 20th century with its mass butcheries could be seen as an overall improvement over any earlier historical time.
Everything is relative. 2 million people were massacred over two years in 17th century China, when the world population was less than 600 million. That's statistically equivalent to over 20 million people being massacred over two years, now.

Furthermore, what is generally known has changed, and that affects our memory of the past. Did you even know that 2 million people were massacred over two years in 17th century China? Chances are that few westerners knew about those massacres when they happened so the impression of how barbarous the past was didn't fully reflect just how bad it really was.

Layer on top of that the impact of nostalgia, rose-colored glasses with regard to the past, and conveniently overlooking what is known because it doesn't support someone's desire to make the present seem worse than it really is, and there are many reasons to set aside what you've claimed.

Societies are measured by how they treat their most vulnerable members. What is undeniable is that, comparing 1718 to 2018: the percentage of the population living in slavery has declined substantially; average infant mortality has declined substantially; the quality of life of the elderly poor has increased dramatically; etc. By every possible measure with regard to how societies treat they're most vulnerable members today, there had been not just positive progress - not just significant positive progress - but in reality truly Monumental positive progress.

The concept of progress is very much over-assumed.
Things change, and in some technical and important ways there is progress (medicine, technology) but it might be very hard to prove overall social progress. Unless one uses lifespan- so- far as the sole dimension to examine, it is very likely that life is more likely to be cyclical than progressive.

Sure. Who needs progress? Why, before the 20th century, everyone lived like kings! Well, except for the slaves, women, the poor, etc.

Hard to see how the 20th century with its mass butcheries could be seen as an overall improvement over any earlier historical time.

True. Every century before the 20th was rather peaceful. It's confusing why things went south from such an Eden.

That's why those "Make the Dark Ages Great Again" bumper stickers are so popular. And of course the 18th century was a terrific time, except for those silly Napoleonic War, Taiping Rebellion, American Civil War and a few dozen lesser wars.

Yup, the 20th century showed no social progress at all. Here we are on an early retirement forum wasting our time when we could be out tilling our fields - knowing that the concept of retirement is just silly after all. Everyone knows it's better to work until you drop (by 40 or so), rather than have a social safety net. Ah for the simpler life...

Sure. Who needs progress? Why, before the 20th century, everyone lived like kings! Well, except for the slaves, women, the poor, etc.

True. Every century before the 20th was rather peaceful. It's confusing why things went south from such an Eden.

That's why those "Make the Dark Ages Great Again" bumper stickers are so popular. And of course the 18th century was a terrific time, except for those silly Napoleonic War, Taiping Rebellion, American Civil War and a few dozen lesser wars.

Yup, the 20th century showed no social progress at all. Here we are on an early retirement forum wasting our time when we could be out tilling our fields - knowing that the concept of retirement is just silly after all. Everyone knows it's better to work until you drop (by 40 or so), rather than have a social safety net. Ah for the simpler life...
There are people with whom one cannot have a reasonable discussion. Thanks for the reminder!

The rejoinder to your assertion was entirely reasonable, though more than a little sarcastic. :)

My grandmother (1916-2011) would often comment on the amazing progress she had seen during her lifetime.

Especially on how long she had manage to live in relatively good health.

Though I suppose for us youngsters (Gen X'er here) change has not been as dramatic.

There are people with whom one cannot have a reasonable discussion. Thanks for the reminder!

When one starts with the claim that it's "Hard to see how the 20th century could be seen as an overall improvement over any earlier historical time", I think the term "reasonable" doesn't fit well. Maybe that's just me.

You are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom