The obesity epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a little story about food you may find amusing........

My five year old grandson is afflicted with cerebral palsey. I pick him up at day care two days a week and take him to therapy sessions at Easter Seals. After Easter Seals, we have a couple of hours together before his parents get home. One of the therapists suggested we go grocery shopping where my grandson could push the cart negotiating obstacles, we could pick up objects and talk about the shape and size, etc., etc.

Well, it's working out great for him. He loves going and we both get some physical and mental exercise walking around exploring and talking about things. You should have seen us picking out pumpkins last Monday! But darn, is it ever hard spending that much time in grocery stores just wandering around looking at food without bringing a ton of temptation home! I mean I must run across every food vise I ever had and "on sale" no less. For me, it's like an alcoholic having to spent time in a liquor store or a smoker spending time at the discount cigarette outlet. :LOL:

So far, so good. But, admittedly it's been a challenge to not "load up." BTW, grandson is slender and we actually have to encourage him to consume calories.

No apology necessary or desired.

Your idea list is outstanding. In aggregate, they seem to be pointing at a culture change and I agree that's what we need.

When I think back to T-A's initial post where he was dumbfounded as to why the obese gentleman was eating a lot, I realize how far we have come in this discussion. I'm sure T-A now realizes that what he saw was no more astonishing that going to a tavern and seeing that the alcoholics were not nursing a beer but drinking a lot or going to the smoking section of a restaurant and seeing the smokers puffing away killing themselves.

I surely hope we all slay our demons.........

And that Azanon gets past this peeing thing......

edited to not leave Azanon out.

HaHa said:
Give us your workout Arnie!

Ha
I can tell ya but it will cost ya.........

Ill tell ya anyway. Its years of hard work Just make sure you cover all the body parts , vary the routine so your body never gets used to any 1 thing and the most important thing:

DO 3 SETS 10X AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH WEIGHT TO ZAP ALL STRENGTH FROM THE MUSCLE BY 9 OR 10 REPS...thats the most important part. Just going thru motions without actually draining the muscle of all its strength will never grow the muscle.

Helen--That diet is one similar to ones I've seen many people use when they get serious about losing wieght or gaining muscle. I personally used it and long hours in the gym to gain a total of about 40 lbs in muscle. I worked most of that off now.

youbet--When my son first came to live with me and my wife he was very slim. he even went to two check ups and didn't gain any weight, although he grew I think an inch or two. The doc put him on a eat anything, often, diet, so he would gain weight.

To piggyback mathjak, your body must have a reason to change. If you do not exceed or hit your body's limit, it will not see the need to change and your efforts will be wasted time.

Helen,
Tell us more about the Zone diet and your experiences with it, if you would. I'm thinking that we need a bit more structure in our diet, which is already pretty much meat and vegetables at this point.
And hear, hear for beer, my favorite vice! Mmmm, Flying Dog Pale Ale....
Sarah

Have y'all looked at Dean Ornish? He seems to think he has the answer.

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/9/3068_9408.htm

You can lose weight on just about any diet. Keeping it off is a lot harder. A few years ago, the government reviewed all of the different weight loss plans. They found that the two-thirds of people gained back all of the weight they lost within a year, and 97% gained it all back within five years.

However, we found in our research that the average person lost 24 pounds in the first year and kept off more than half that weight five years later, even though they were eating more food, and more frequently, than before -- without hunger or deprivation. Simply. Safely. Easily. They not only felt better, they were better. We also found that they had even more reversal of heart disease after five years than after one year, and 2.5 times fewer cardiac events such as heart attack, stroke, bypass surgery, and angioplasty. The more closely people followed the program, the better they were. Clearly, if you can reverse heart disease by eating this way, then you can help prevent it.

Most weight loss plans are based on deprivation: counting calories, restricting portion sizes, and eating less food. Sooner or later, people get tired of feeling hungry, so they get off the diet, regain the weight, and usually blame themselves for not having enough discipline, willpower, or motivation, when the real problem is that they were going about it in the wrong way.

Here's a better way: if you change the type of food, you don't have to reduce the amount of food. Fat has nine calories per grams whereas protein and carbohydrates have only four calories per gram. So if you go from a 40% fat diet to a 10% fat diet, even if you eat the same amount of food, you consume far fewer calories. You feel better and you become healthier. You really can eat more and weigh less if you know what to eat.

In short, when you switch from a diet based on animal protein and simple carbohydrates to a whole foods, plant-based diet, you get a quadruple benefit:

the high fiber content of fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans reduces insulin levels, so you lose weight and lower cholesterol levels;
when you eat less fat, you eat fewer calories without eating less food;
you avoid the animal-based products rich in substances that cause illnesses; and
you get thousands of other substances that are protective.
Part of the value of science is to help you sort out conflicting claims, to distinguish fact from fancy, what sounds good from what is real. I'm not trying to tell you what to eat; just to provide scientifically based information so that you can make more informed and intelligent choices. To the best of my knowledge, none of the high-protein diet authors have ever published any studies in any peer-reviewed journals documenting that their approach can help people lose weight safely and keep it off. In contrast, my colleagues and I at the nonprofit Preventive Medicine Research Institute have published our findings in the leading peer-reviewed medical journals.

If you eat a low-fat diet based on whole foods, you are likely to lose even more weight than on a high-protein diet, your cholesterol levels may come down even more, and you may feel better, look better, and love better. It's not all or nothing -- the more you move in this direction, the more benefits you receive. And you will significantly reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, and other illnesses rather than increasing it. You can lose weight and gain health.

Dean Ornish, MD
Unquote

His plan has got to be worth a try, if you have weight problems. I know his diet is considered austere, but hey.... why not?

HaHa, even if your son has reached a plateau on losing weight, could he be getting thinner? Maybe he is still losing fat and gaining muscle?

I think one of the issues with various fad diets is that they are not diets you can live with the rest of your life. My bet is that losing weight gradually, eating balanced meals, having a treat now and then, and exercising, will help build new habits. I like the idea of more frequent small meals, which may help alleviate binging.

Gumby, thanks for adding to my list of ideas.

In my public health initiative to combat obesity, I want Bill Clinton to lead it. He seems to work hard trying to exercise and struggling against weight. He has suffered from heart disease. I think he would be well suited to lead such a program.

Martha said:
I think one of the issues with various fad diets is that they are not diets you can live with the rest of your life.

In my public health initiative to combat obesity, I want Bill Clinton to lead it. He seems to work hard trying to exercise and struggling against weight. He has suffered from heart disease. I think he would be well suited to lead such a program.

You are so right, I don't know anyone that's started a diet and maintained it for the rest of their lives. That is unless they made lifestyle changes. Most gained back everything if not more once they went off or stopped the diet.

Yes Clinton did have a rude awakening and if that didn't show the everyday citizen it can happen to anyone I don't know what will. I agree Martha he would be perfect.

Since there are many of us that are of the opinion that weight loss basically boils down to consuming less calories and burning more calories, I have decided to "put up or shut up." I am about 25lbs overweight. I am going to go to WalMart after work and buy a scale and weigh myself. Maybe I am more overweight than I thought. After that, I will post my weight on this thread and then start my simple weight loss program (less food, more exercise). I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe a once a week weight report. But right now, I am going across the street for a Whopper Combo.

dusk_to_dawn said:
I have decided to "put up or shut up."

You won't be able to do this on your own. Start a new thread. Tell us when you feel like a snack or are just too tired to run around the block, and then we'll all shame you cheer you on. :)

Martha said:
In my public health initiative to combat obesity, I want Bill Clinton to lead it.

Too partisan. You need somebody for the right-wing obese as well.

rush.jpg

Or maybe a neutral party.

fat_bastard.jpg

I'm with you Dusk-to-Dawn. I am not overweight by any charts or standards, but I have put on about 15 pounds in the past 10 mos. and my clothes don't fit anymore.

I bought my scale about a week ago. I also started passing up the candy, sugary drinks, huge helpings, etc. So far I have seen ZERO change on the scale. :'(

I've never had to watch what I eat, so this is challenging. I also assumed minor changes in my habits would instantly produce the desired results... and they haven't.... more challenge.

I'm trying to do more running (2 mi x 3 times a week) so maybe it's all just converting to muscle, eh?

Nahh... I don't think this big bulge on my belly is a muscle....

Funny...........20 years ago when I ran 60-80 miles a week, I could eat and drink whatever I want and stay at 170 pounds...........

What happened?? :D :D

wab said:
Too partisan. You need somebody for the right-wing obese as well.

. . .

I assumed that this was Martha's devious master plan. Since Clinton might appeal to liberals, they would follow his lead and become more healthy. The neo-cons would just get fat and die making the US a better place. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In my personal experience, in midlife I began taking an antidepressant and in the next 8 months I gained 25 pounds. After that, my body was different and I couldn't lose the weight, despite taking up marathoning (the walk-jog mode).
Then I did the Body for Life plan for one year and really busted it. I lost 15 pounds. BMI still too high.

Divorce seemed to be the ticket for weight loss. Not eating caused a 25 lb weight loss.
Unfortunately, returning to antidepressants allowed me to regain it all.

Now I'm doing the vegetarian, nonfat, no cholesterol, lots of exercise plan. In two weeks, two pounds gone. This is really really hard. And I have a lot of time to focus on it. I have terrific will power and a lot of motivation. But hunger is a very strong interference. And our culture throws food at you constantly.

Menopause does a real number on women with the change in hormones. I suspect a similar thing happens to men with lowered testosterone. So don't beat yourself up about an extra ten pounds.

Sheryl said:
I bought my scale about a week ago. I also started passing up the candy, sugary drinks, huge helpings, etc. So far I have seen ZERO change on the scale. :'(

Well a pound a week is a good goal, maybe you need a couple of weeks before the scale shows. Could be scale inaccuracy? Judy, an occassional poster here recommended once the book Strong Women Stay Young for strength training. As you age (sorry Sheryl, you are middle aged now) you lose muscle. This book has good suggestions for strength training for women.

Oldbabe, you might look at strength training too. I am trying to improve my strength and build muscle. I am very much a wimp.

Oldbabe said:
I suspect a similar thing happens to men with lowered testosterone.
With apologies to George Carlson, that doesn't sound very manly to me!

You go martha,,,,,,, Just remember to push hard ,you will grow muscle.

Most women dont show their muscle growth like men do. My wife used to get so frustrated by what looked like no muscle growth but alot of of what we gain as we get older is measured not in gains but in what we didnt loose. With the loss of muscle as we age and the corresponding slowing of our metabolisims just staying even with say 5 years ago is a gain.

Oldbabe said:
Divorce seemed to be the ticket for weight loss.

My most successful weight loss was when had typhoid fever. I had already lost from 160 down to 150, just because I couldn't find enough food to eat out where I was. Then I got typhoid and took off another 15 in no time at all. I was ready to model Hugo Boss at that point.

However, I am not sure than I would recommend either starvation or typhoid as a plan for weight loss, effective as it was.

Ha

For you ladies lifting weights, it is very difficult to put on enough muscle to look like those female bodybuilders, so don't worry about that. You normally don't make enough testosterone to have the dramatic gains. Not to mention those women have been training for many years.

Would that be the Osama bin Atkins diet? ;)

(I know, it's a rumor. Jokes don't have to be accurate!)

Martha said:
Well a pound a week is a good goal, maybe you need a couple of weeks before the scale shows. Could be scale inaccuracy? Judy, an occassional poster here recommended once the book Strong Women Stay Young for strength training. As you age (sorry Sheryl, you are middle aged now) you lose muscle. This book has good suggestions for strength training for women.

Oldbabe, you might look at strength training too. I am trying to improve my strength and build muscle. I am very much a wimp.

Yeah, a pound a week was my goal - I thought at least the first couple would be easy. :mad:

Still hope for the second one.

Thanks for the book tip - I will look into that - I have been starting to do a few random excercises, but need to get a more formal plan set up.

dusk_to_dawn said:
Since there are many of us that are of the opinion that weight loss basically boils down to consuming less calories and burning more calories, I have decided to "put up or shut up." I am about 25lbs overweight. I am going to go to WalMart after work and buy a scale and weigh myself. Maybe I am more overweight than I thought. After that, I will post my weight on this thread and then start my simple weight loss program (less food, more exercise). I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe a once a week weight report. But right now, I am going across the street for a Whopper Combo.

DW bought the scale and after the Whopper Combo and a good dinner, I registered 205lbs. About 5lbs more than I thought, but I'm sure my trip to Burger King didn't help. I had a coupon for a free Whopper with my combo, so I took the free Whopper with the intent of throwing it in the fridge and eating it tomorrow or Friday. A coworker (no string-bean by the way) convinced me to go ahead and eat it today. So I actually ate two Whoppers for lunch and I could barely stay awake for the rest of the day. I think they put chemicals that make you sleepy in those burgers. Today I start my quest to lose weight and keep it off. I'm just an ordinary 44 year old man who is about 30lbs overweight. I'm ready. 10/4/06 205 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom