The obesity epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
ooooo FIREME, I don't know if you are a religious nut or not.. but I am up to my elbows in this with "Right-Wing Sis". Seems when it's Bush on health care/SS, or Stockman on economics.. she's all "personal responsibility." But give her a school shooting and it's all the fault of "evolution" and "godless liberals".. :LOL: if it weren't so :-[ :'(.

"Rugged individualism" has its merits, but has also given us a gun-crazy, F-U culture. The wimpy "godless" Europeans manage low murder rates and attempt to take care of their societies' weaker members.

Strangely, Darwin gets a bad rap from the God-Fearing folk in the US, yet Darwin has a heavy hand in their social policies, whether they acknowledge it or not.

So... FIREME... will we all have "hardbodies" in the afterlife? (As a semi-reluctant believer, I sincerely hope not!!!)

Disclaimer: DH and I just started yoga classes last week. We are "listening to our pelvises" and hope to become, if not thinner, at least more flexible and aware of our bodies, our 'mortal coils'...

Ha, there IS that risk, you know.. I hear they are indoctrinating new pages members as we speak!

HaHa said:
Speaking as a man, I don't get the attraction of defined muscles on women. If I liked sinewy sex partners, I would go gay.

Ha

You're sweet.

What does yours say?

It says: "F***! Nothing else you've done in the last 40 years of your perverted life has made me cramp up like this.. Cut it out already!!" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have nothing to add..............we are going places men aren't allowed........... :D :D :D

For a man, I have unusually good pelvic flexibility, I think from studying Afro-Cuban Dance. I can squat barefooted, with my heels down, and only have 4" between my butt and the floor. I can also comfortably stay in this position a long time.

Yesterday I was hammering and I didn't have knee pads, so I just squatted till I finished.

Ha

ladelfina said:

So... FIREME... will we all have "hardbodies" in the afterlife? (As a semi-reluctant believer, I sincerely hope not!!!)

No, but hopefully we'll be enlightened enough not to seek to medicate ourselves with food, sex, drugs, work, money, and whatever else our "drug" of preference is.

Some folks have it "together" better than others. It's the border line OCD types like me that struggle. ;)

Hopefully the one who created it all will in the end make sense of the mess or at least be large enough that we don't need to understand it all or have sense made of it.

And as far as the RR goes, remember there are plenty of true believers (specifically, God loving Christians) who are not mindlessly controlled by the rhetoric of those who claim to speak for all.

OT: Please change channels for those not interested in my philosophical musings....

In my personal opinion, religion is something man created to control other men. Jesus came to bring relationship between the Creator and the created and to liberate us from ourselves and Sin. If God is God, He is perfectly able to get His desires for you across without me having to insist you follow what I say He says. I just get to tell the world that God loves them and that the cross is proof of that. What they do with that is between them and God. (That is not to say we should not have a society based on law so that we don't kill or mame each other in the process of living.)

Martha said:
Some numbers to chew on, if you must chew on something –

An obese individual is 25 percent more likely to suffer some mood or anxiety disorder such as depression. If you are a Caucasian American with a higher education, the number can soar up to 44 percent. While the average American stands a 30 percent chance of being obese, the average depressed American’s chances run up to 40 percent; and whereas 20 percent of Americans in general are diagnosed at some time in their lives as depressed, the percentage of obese Americans thus diagnosed is 28.

[/i]

So are they depressed because they're obese, or do they become obese as a symptom of depression? I'd guess at least some of both.

I can only speak for myself, but if i allowed myself to become obese, i know i'd either become depressed myself or i'd do something about it.

Azanon said:
So are they depressed because they're obese, or do they become obese as a symptom of depression?

Some anti-depressant medications actually cause obesity.

Ha

HaHa said:
Some anti-depressant medications actually cause obesity.

Ha

I'm sure that's true, but if we're just talking about depression in general, i seem to recall from general psychology, that people respond differently in depression, including some people actually eat less and lose weight; in some cases dangerously so.

When i feel depressed (admittedly i've never been clinically depressed), i personally responded by sleeping more, taking a nap, and I personally feel full because my stomach gets tight due to whatever is making me feel down at the moment.

FinanceDude said:
Ha, you could go female bodybuilder, and stay away from men............ ;)

I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Cool Dood said:
I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Maybe..........a plumbing difference:confused: Well, there are those operations in Sweden you can get....................

Azanon said:
So are they depressed because they're obese, or do they become obese as a symptom of depression? I'd guess at least some of both.

Working out & excersize can also help with depression.

How about this diet.

you can eat anything you like as much as you like anytime you like

you just have to eat it in a room with naked obese people.

Martha said:

In my public health initiative to combat obesity, I want Bill Clinton to lead it. He seems to work hard trying to exercise and struggling against weight. He has suffered from heart disease. I think he would be well suited to lead such a program.

Maybe this really is a good idea.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/06/new...clinton.reut/index.htm?postversion=2006100618

Five major food companies promised to promote healthier snacks for children in U.S. schools to combat child obesity in a deal brokered by former President Bill Clinton.

It was the latest effort by Clinton, a self-described former "fat kid," to get junk food and sugary drinks out of U.S. schools.

Former President Bill Clinton

"We can make a difference to the lives of millions of kids by getting them to eat healthier and live healthier," Clinton told a crowd of school kids and food industry executives, who made the promises to Clinton's Alliance for a Healthier Generation, a joint initiative with the American Heart Association.

HaHa said:
Speaking as a man, I don't get the attraction of defined muscles on women. If I liked sinewy sex partners, I would go gay.

Ha

I still love ya Ha, even if you don't find my muscles attractive

Martha said:
It was the latest effort by Clinton, a self-described former "fat kid," to get junk food and sugary drinks out of U.S. schools.

Wow, Martha, you work fast!

Lets face it some folks are just not self motivated and continue their destructive behavior. We have a choice as a society to blame them for self destructive behavior and do nothing or to be pro-active and offer government assisted help such as counseling, nutrition advice and maybe health clubs. As a society we can pay some $ now or pay a lot more down the road dealing with the natural consequences of these addictions.

Just blaming people for their weaknesses and turning away to me violates the second commandment of loving your neighbor as yourself. I don't mean sound like a bible thumper but believe we are our brothers keeper.

2soon2tell

I like my son's idea, "Hey dad why doesn't the government just give us everything and we work for free?" It's almost as hard to explain to an 8 year old that communism doesn't work as it is to some people on here.

cube_rat said:
I still love ya Ha, even if you don't find my muscles attractive
I don't think you'll lack for substitute admirers...

An obese individual is 25 percent more likely to suffer some mood or anxiety disorder such as depression. If you are a Caucasian American with a higher education, the number can soar up to 44 percent. While the average American stands a 30 percent chance of being obese, the average depressed American’s chances run up to 40 percent; and whereas 20 percent of Americans in general are diagnosed at some time in their lives as depressed, the percentage of obese Americans thus diagnosed is 28.

....I really hate to here about these kind of studies after having several family members slowly diagnosed with thyroid and pituitary problems......here's the rub....most of the endocrine disorders cause some mood disorder AND weight gain.....depends on where you think the truth is...with the drug companies that want to sell anti-depressants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom