thermostat setting for winter.

I can't believe so many 66's in the daytime! Polar bear club indeed! Mine is 70 or a bit more if I'm not active. In NC so have not seen bone chilling temps. Natural gas bill is not too bad, so don't sweat it(see what I did there?) The upstairs furnace is off since we're empty nesters and have the master downstairs. The 2 story foyer allows a buncha heat up there, just not to warm in the individual rooms.

We have natural gas heating, hot water, and the clothes dryer. Last month's bill for gas was under $22. The electric bill was under $40. Those numbers are too low, so I've raised the thermostat to 71 deg F in order to spend some money.

I can't believe so many 66's in the daytime! Polar bear club indeed!

Some of us have "tropical moments", don't you know. :cool:

When I go to Ireland I dread staying with relatives because they keep the overnight temperature close to freezing.

OTOH I would collapse from heat exhaustion in Walt's house.

Ours is set to 70 in day and 65 at night for sleeping.
I have not yet changed the thermostat from work mode to RE mode, so it drops the temp in the day to 65 and I have to manually up it to 70 when I notice the chill.
However, we have a computer room which warms up nicely due to running 2-3 computers a lot of day. It can be 5 degrees warmer than rest of the house.

67-68 degrees during the day, 60 at night. 140 year old house in Minnesota, so a little drafty, but greatly improved since I moved in.

We have natural gas heating, hot water, and the clothes dryer. Last month's bill for gas was under $22. The electric bill was under $40. Those numbers are too low, so I've raised the thermostat to 71 deg F in order to spend some money.

Wow. Last winter my combined gas/electric bill peaked at 900/mo.

^Not to worry, last month was October and not winter. Plus the house is small at only 3000+ sq ft. We average about $150 to $200 per month annually for gas & electricity. Gas for heating in the winter, electricity for A/C in the summer; spring and fall are cheap.

Last edited:
I don't understand threads like this. To me, this is like asking "how much pepper do you use on your eggs? Maybe I should reconsider how much pepper I use on my eggs based on your inputs?"

So I'll answer in a general way first - for winter, we set the heat as low as we can and still feel reasonably comfortable, balancing that with a desire to save money and reduce the environmental impacts of setting it higher.

I pretty much do not pay attention to the numbers. I use comfort as a guide.

But for reference, we turn it down to ~ 58~60 at night. Once you are under the covers and warm, the air temperature isn't much of a factor, and it takes hours for the house to lose a few degrees. We are already asleep.

In the AM, I turn it up to take off the chill, and adjust it when I feel reasonably comfortable. I wear socks and slippers, long pants, an undershirt, shirt and sweater (layers are key). Often, I feel fine at ~ 62~64. If I'm actively working on something, that might feel too warm. If I'm not active, I might turn it higher, might not. Depends on how I feel.

By dinner, we turn it up, maybe 68 for the rest of the evening.

A lot depends on your heat type. With forced-air and Natural Gas, the house feels warmer in minutes, as the warm air circulates. Yet, it takes hours to cool appreciably, due to thermal mass.

When we go to MIL's, the heat is stifling. I need to dress like summertime in the middle of winter. I may start taking a fan. But that is what she needs to be comfortable.

-ERD50

66 during the day, 57 at night. When the outside temp is 20-something, it generally takes until morning for the inside temp to drop to 57.

I don't understand threads like this. To me, this is like asking "how much pepper do you use on your eggs? Maybe I should reconsider how much pepper I use on my eggs based on your inputs?"

You can't stoke our curiosity like that then leave us hanging.

How much pepper *do* you put on your eggs?

You can't stoke our curiosity like that then leave us hanging.

How much pepper *do* you put on your eggs?

I'll estimate this at ~ 5 flecks per square inch of egg surface area. This is a medium-coarse grind. I insist on fresh ground.

I find 7 flecks per square inch to approach the point where the pepper is overpowering the rather subtle egg taste. But 3 flecks per square inch does not provide the extra 'kick' that I prefer. I may also use a 'dash' of hot sauce in addition to or in place of the black pepper, depending on mood.

How about you? ;)

-ERD50

62-63 during the day, 60 overnight.

Although, we are building a net zero house where we expect to basically use the solar gain from the sun on sunny days and not need to heat on those days, or the following night.
Of course, we get lots of cloudy days in the winter, so we will still be paying for heat 67% to 75% of the time (rough guess).

I just do salt but tomorrow morning I'll give pepper a try. :)

Last edited:
One of the benefits of LBYM for so many years, is that I can live comfortably and not have to worry about saving every nickel and dime at the expense of comfort.

We keep the thermostats set at the same temp 24/7. This house does not warm up or cool down quickly. We keep the living level at 75 deg and the sleeping level at 68. However, we do have huge south-facing windows. 3 @ 5ft x 9 ft. In the winter, if there is a reasonable amount of sun, we have to open the windows. For example, today it is ~11 deg outside, With only the shades open on one of the windows, it is already 79 deg on the living level. It is warm, but..... I'd rather be warm and open the window than bundle up andfreeze. For an extra 250 bucks a year, it ain't worth the suffering.

One of the benefits of LBYM for so many years, is that I can live comfortably and not have to worry about saving every nickel and dime at the expense of comfort. ...

Rather presumptuous, don't you think?
I, for one, find it quite comfortable at 63 degrees and enjoy it even cooler while sleeping.

Sounds like you have the first half of the passive solar idea.
With a thermal mass to absorb the heat, your house won't overheat in the day, and it then releases that heat at night.

Probably not worth retrofitting, except possibly using water tanks. Congratulations on such a well insulated house:cool:

I keep mine at 68 and turn it off at night, I should probably just turn it down to 60. I live in Houston. When it's hot I keep the a/c between 75-78 depending how many people are in the house.

Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
One of the benefits of LBYM for so many years, is that I can live comfortably and not have to worry about saving every nickel and dime at the expense of comfort. ...
Rather presumptuous, don't you think?
I, for one, find it quite comfortable at 63 degrees and enjoy it even cooler while sleeping.

Agreed. I don't find 75 comfortable at all. And 68 is way too warm for us for sleeping. Just once or twice I forgot to turn the heat down, and we woke up and it felt terrible. I got up and turned it down.

Sounds like you have the first half of the passive solar idea.
With a thermal mass to absorb the heat, your house won't overheat in the day, and it then releases that heat at night.

Probably not worth retrofitting, except possibly using water tanks. Congratulations on such a well insulated house:cool:

I used to like the idea of thermal mass, but now I'm getting away from it. I like the fact that I can turn the heat down (essentially 'off' - ~ 50F), whenever I leave the house. Why heat it when I'm not there? And wen I get home, turn it back, and the warm circulating air has me comfortable in no time.

And when we go to sleep at night, why keep the air warmer for more than the time it takes to get warmed up under the covers? That is all wasted heat. Sure, it may be 'free' with solar, but if I would need to supplement it, it could take a long time.

-ERD50

About 68-70 during the day.

About 58 at night.

Except when the thermometer drops much below 36 degrees. My heating units just work to hard to warm the house up as the temperature approches and then goes below the freezing point. So, I actually keep the house a bit warmer at that time.

I turn it up to 68 when at home during the day or after w##k but then get too hot and turn it back down to 65. The thermostats at 62 while at w##k or sleeping. I like to sleep in a cold room with heavy covers - have a headache in the morning if I sleep in a warm room. I also have a great wall furnace with blower in the den. If I get chilled, I turn it up and stand in front of it for a few minutes. My house is older and large with single pane windows and no heating zones except for the separate den heating - keeping the temp at 68 or higher all the time would be expensive and extravagant to heat the entire house for one person. One retirement goal is to downsize and get a more energy efficient home.

Humidity can have an impact on comfort, and thus the heating bill. Optimum winter humidity is 40, and the comfort range is 35 to 45.
In very dry, cold climates, the humidity level can make the air seem warmer, so keeping the humidity at a good level, may allow comfort at 1 or 2 degrees less on the thermometer.
There is much more to this, but overkill for me. For the scientific minded, try this explanation, but... don't say I didn't warn you.

USATODAY.com

Good luck...:flowers:

I've been running the gas logs for the past 5 hours, inside humidity is 51%. Outside it is 61%. Of course it is also 20 outside with a wind chill of 2. Just up the road NE from here about 60 miles, they are measuring the snowfall by the foot (western NY).

We got lucky this week as the winds blowing across Lake Erie sent the lake effect snow up towards Buffalo. Last Thursday we got hit with 15 inches when only 5 inches were predicted. It all depends on the direction of the winds across the lake as to who gets buried.

Not just temp you have to account for, humidity is also a factor. Even in Central Florida we had an unusually cold winter in 2010 and I had humidifier to keep it from getting uncomfortably dry. Even with the thermostat set in the low 70s it felt like it was freezing with really low humidity. 70 actual temp feels like 66 at 25% RH.

Back
Top Bottom