This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that United Airlines has cancelled flights to and from Winnipeg because it's "too cold to fly". The airport's website confirms this. They use Canadian built Bombardier jets for these flights. Other airlines are flying in and out of Winnipeg. So I just don't get why United is unable to fly there.
Well, under FAA regulations consumer protections are limited when flights are cancelled do to weather conditions. This is also self-regulated, so it is not unusual to see one airline limit or cancel fights while another continues operations. This is also common in Fort Lauderdale airport.

Well, under FAA regulations consumer protections are limited when flights are cancelled do to weather conditions. This is also self-regulated, so it is not unusual to see one airline limit or cancel fights while another continues operations. This is also common in Fort Lauderdale airport.

So, what I'm hearing is that United is a fair weather airline. They will fly when and where it is convenient for them. That's good to know. My experience flying with United has not been great (except for an upgrade many years ago).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, what I'm hearing is that United is a fair weather airline. They will fly when and where it is convenient for them. That's good to know. My experience flying with United has not been great (except for an upgrade many years ago).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm not accusing or characterizing UA, and do suspect most US Airlines do this to reschedule without having to deal with customer liability. I saw it regularly flying between NY and FLL.

I'm not accusing or characterizing UA, and do suspect most US Airlines do this to reschedule without having to deal with customer liability. I saw it regularly flying between NY and FLL.

Oh, now I see what you mean, thanks.

Back in the day I would always fly Northwest Orient during the winter. I fly Alaska for the same reason today. Pilots and dispatch operations who do a lot of fair weather flying are not my first choice.

Getting a little snow

Attachments

• winter landscape 9.jpg
    winter landscape 9.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 10
Back in the day I would always fly Northwest Orient during the winter. I fly Alaska for the same reason today. Pilots and dispatch operations who do a lot of fair weather flying are not my first choice.

Useful observation Brat. I have been thinking that regional carriers in particular are paying pilots very poorly and probably skimping on training. Perhaps that is why United feels they cannot fly safely to a destination like "Winterpeg". They may be correct, because of a combination of physical effects of cold and lack of training in safe operation of aircraft in extreme conditions. If that be the case, perhaps it is best to stick with the airlines that "do winter". In my case that would be Westjet and Air Canada. Horizon, which links to Alaska, also flies to my local airport.

In South Florida.
Dual weather displays on phone.
73F herte
34F, now ice, next snow and north wind followed by extreme freeze.

Yuck. We're going to the gym, stop by the grocery store for a few items on the way home, and then we're in for the duration.

Attachments

• weather.JPG
    weather.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 10
I think we got moved to North Dakota. Snow falling day 3. Looking at a high of -7 early next week.

The current prognostication for us in SW PA, not nearly as much fun as for Nodak.

Only a -1 to -5 F in the next few days. Some snow. 3 to 5" +/- 100% of typical accuracy ;}

Shouldn't complain after reading a few of these posts. Temp 48 currently but dropping the rest of the day. And 20 mph winds. High around 40 tomorrow. Glad I'm off the rest of the week. ;)

In New Orleans it is 57F already, and a rainy, gray day. After reading about the impending blizzards in the north, I know we are so fortunate. I do like the change in seasons, though, and we get a little of that too.

This weather is awful!!

I'm going out to buy some mittens. A big pair that I can fit my hands with gloves on inside. My fingers freeze within minutes while plowing the driveway on the atv. Also going to take a serious look at the warming gloves that connect to the atv battery

Come on down to Scottsdale. Above average temps all week.:dance:

Weather for Scottsdale, AZ
partly_cloudy.png
63° F
Partly Cloudy
Wind: 0 mph
Humidity: 41

Today
77° 46°

Fri
sunny.png

75° 48°
Sat
partly_cloudy.png

70° 45°
Sun
sunny.png

72° 39°

It turned out to not be bad. Here it is fluffy light snow and I decided to only clear the sidewalk so people don't skate and fall in front of my home, and I cleared a path to the mailbox so I don't skate either while retrieving the endless junk mail :(

My vehicle has high ground clearance, so I will just blast through the snow that remains. I feel for all those who are in the sights of the big storm.

I feel for all those who are in the sights of the big storm.

+1

We're actually just getting the edge of it, forecast is for 3", a mess and a pain but nothing major.

This evening I'll watch the traffic reports while sipping a glass of wine and be happy I don't have to commute anymore.:dance:

This weather is awful!!

I don't agree with the trend of naming winter storms. Sure, they are a pain and you take time to clean up and get clear.

But in my mind, a hurricane is a whole different thing (I have never experienced one). You get a badge of honor for surviving one of a high category - I put Sandy there.

Last edited:
Front is coming through tonight with much rain and wind; also a high tide. We have raised the boat and closed the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom