This weather is awful - 2024 to ?

What a rotten turn of events! Hoping for plentiful rain in your area soon.
Weather forecasts starting last weekend called for rain to start yesterday and continue off and on for five straight days. 2-3" was predicted. We are now two days into that five day window, and not one drop of rain here in Central Texas. The rainfall predictions for the next three days seem to fade with each passing hour.

Throw in the outdoor watering restrictions I mentioned earlier in this thread that will continue at least through the end of March, and it is a miserable time to be gardening. Our collected water (pre-lockdown) is starting to run out, and the lack of rain means I can't collect more (plus not having rainfall directly for the plants).

We lived through some awful drought periods back in Silicon Valley starting in the mid-1980s, but the past four years here in Central Texas has been worse. The Texas spring/summer heat is quickly approaching.

Last edited:
Rain again today and more coming tomorrow... Temps should drop another 20 degrees in the next few days but only down to the upper 50's. Running the AC the past few days. Yep, winter is over around here.

I know it really sounds like whining but this is the coldest winter I've spent in the Islands. Most days, it will warm enough that I can go outside in my usual shorts and a T shirt or Aloha shirt. I refuse to wear a jacket! I may feel cold, but I just won't wear a jacket out.

But, sitting in the apartment at night or early morning, I've been bundling up with a blanket while I watch TV or use the computer. We have no heat and the windows and door leak air so that 30 mph trades create a small gale force wind down the hall which hits me in my easy chair. So I've been reduced to covering the jalousies with cardboard and stuffing paper towels around the door to plug the leaks. I don't mind the extra cover or even comforter I have to add to the sheet at night. But I'm really not used to this cold weather (upper 60s most nights.) I know to folks facing 10 degrees F in the winter, 67 sounds warm. But when it's blowing on you, it ain't warm - especially when I'm sitting in my T-shirt and shorts.

Yeah. I know. "Poor baby...":cool:

I know it really sounds like whining but this is the coldest winter I've spent in the Islands. Most days, it will warm enough that I can go outside in my usual shorts and a T shirt or Aloha shirt. I refuse to wear a jacket! I may feel cold, but I just won't wear a jacket out.

But, sitting in the apartment at night or early morning, I've been bundling up with a blanket while I watch TV or use the computer. We have no heat and the windows and door leak air so that 30 mph trades create a small gale force wind down the hall which hits me in my easy chair. So I've been reduced to covering the jalousies with cardboard and stuffing paper towels around the door to plug the leaks. I don't mind the extra cover or even comforter I have to add to the sheet at night.
I think maybe I found a picture of you... :)

th

No heat? Brrrrr.

It gets below freezing overnight now and then here. That would not do. Fireplace, wood burning stoves, and pellet stoves are pretty common here. We are on (40 pound) bag #21 this season with our pellet stove. It is predicted to be sunnier and warmer this week. Pellet stove season draws to a close soon. I am looking forward to less cold.

But, sitting in the apartment at night or early morning, I've been bundling up with a blanket while I watch TV or use the computer. We have no heat and the windows and door leak air so that 30 mph trades create a small gale force wind down the hall which hits me in my easy chair. So I've been reduced to covering the jalousies with cardboard and stuffing paper towels around the door to plug the leaks. I don't mind the extra cover or even comforter I have to add to the sheet at night. But I'm really not used to this cold weather (upper 60s most nights.) I know to folks facing 10 degrees F in the winter, 67 sounds warm. But when it's blowing on you, it ain't warm - especially when I'm sitting in my T-shirt and shorts.

I don't think it sounds like whining! I feel the same way. Last night the thermostat said it was 75F in here and I still turned it up, put on the extra-warm socks that I wear to bed, and also got out my warm comforter. Shhhh! Don't tell anybody. :LOL: Island people get like that, and also maybe in my case it's partially due to getting older. :wiseone:

There is a fix for bad door and window seals. Plus, I assume you have electricity, right? If so, why not buy an electric space heater:confused:?

There is a fix for bad door and window seals. Plus, I assume you have electricity, right? If so, why not buy an electric space heater:confused:?

We have a guy who is supposed to be w*rking on the door (and the jalousies) but he hasn't come yet.

Yesterday, I used the hair dryer to warm up the bathroom for my shower. Today, I'll wait until the day warms up a bit. Our electricity is (or is nearly) the most expensive in the nation. I don't want to be posting a BTD that I bought (and USED!) an electric heater here in the land of ever-summer!!:blush:

We try to dry our clothes on a rack on the lanai which saves several dollars per month in electricity. We have heard that every dryer load costs a dollar or more. A dollar for every shower would add up fast! Well, spring is just around the corner - I hope.

Thanks for everyone's concern.:greetings10:

We used electric heaters when we lived in L.A. Another endless summer place. It would seem odd to me if you had a wood burning stove there.

Today was nice here. Tempo showed 76 an hour ago when I decided I had enough work on the back shed for today.

We used electric heaters when we lived in L.A. Another endless summer place. It would seem odd to me if you had a wood burning stove there.

Today was nice here. Tempo showed 76 an hour ago when I decided I had enough work on the back shed for today.

Folks at altitude on Maui and Big Island DO (often) have wood burning stoves. Here on Oahu, I don't know of anyone with a wood burner - but there probably are some up the valleys.

Yesterday was gorgeous and sunny 75! Today expected 67, then back to our normal Spring of rainy, cool weather.

40 F here this morning in south Texas. Going up into the hi 60's today and bright sun. I love it here!:)

Folks at altitude on Maui and Big Island DO (often) have wood burning stoves. Here on Oahu, I don't know of anyone with a wood burner - but there probably are some up the valleys.

Thanks for the educational bit Koolau. Shows what I know. :facepalm:

Snow coming down the last 24 hours. Melts about as fast as it hits the ground. Suppose to get more on Sat. and Sun. but that is okey we need the moisture. I plan on going fishing tomorrow on the rivah, no snow forecasted so will be a great day.

Just 15 minutes ago, we received an emergency warning from the NWS for the possibility of DESTRUCTIVE three inch size hail through 8:30pm CDT. The capital letters were from the NWS. We're in Central Texas, north of Austin, in Williamson County.

Last edited:
Just 15 minutes ago, we received an emergency warning from the NWS for the possibility of DESTRUCTIVE three inch size hail through 8:30pm CDT. The capital letters were from the NWS. We're in Central Texas, north of Austin, in Williamson County.

Yep, that's where the big storms are today.

Looks like those storms are heading my way. :eek: I expect my weather alert radio to start going off in about an hour if they don't fall apart.

Last edited:
The National Weather Service is saying that severe thunderstorms are a "near certainty" in southeast Louisiana tomorrow, and they are warning us to prepare for damaging winds, tornados, large hail, and heavy rain. Some could contain 70 mph winds, long track tornados and large hail with rain likely to be 3 to 5 inches an hour. Hard to believe! But anyway, should be an exciting day.

Schools, courts, and government offices are shut down, and the state Emergency Preparedness Office says we should NOT leave home until it is over, tomorrow afternoon. The storms are supposed to reach our suburb in the morning around 9-12 AM. Should be quite a morning. LOL 😂🤣Hope they are exaggerating at least a little bit.

I'll try to post when/if I can, but often the internet stops working during severe storms like this. So don't worry unless you read on the news that New Orleans was washed out to sea or something. :LOL:

Heh, heh, marginally better than the phone alert we got a few years ago about an incoming missile from N Korea. Sort of a "sunny with chance of valley shower, light trades and, oh, by the way, an incoming missile from N Korea - this is not a drill!"

I hope your outcome was as good as ours - being a false alarm. Only one person died (heart attack.)

Well some parts of Louisiana/Mississippi got creamed last night. Glad it didn’t hit you.

Central TX also was bombarded by large hail.

Well some parts of Louisiana/Mississippi got creamed last night. Glad it didn’t hit you.

Central TX also was bombarded by large hail.
Listening to our local WWL-TV constant live coverage, and heard them say just now "This tornado (in Slidell) is the only serious damage so far, we have been lucky". They also said lots of lightning down in Venice (LA) but nothing too bad. So yeah, so far we seem to have lucked out in these and other suburbs here in the New Orleans area.

Back
Top Bottom