This weather is awful - 2024 to ?

4+" rain here overnight.

5" here by now, too. Yeah, it's raining really, really hard right now. But anyway, nothing catastrophic (yet?) They say we're not done and there's more to come. Meanwhile I am going to stay put, where I'm safe and dry. My house is built on a slab, but the lot is graded so that it's probably a foot or more above street level.

The rain is so loud, it sounds like I'm sitting just behind some big waterfall like Niagara Falls. So far none of that 70 mph wind they were predicting, though.

5" here by now, too. Yeah, it's raining really, really hard right now. But anyway, nothing catastrophic (yet?) They say we're not done and there's more to come.

6.5" by now! :eek: But all is OK, we have good drainage.

Edited to add: OK, that was what wunderground dot com was telling me, but I'm listening to WWL-TV news and they say we got over 8" in my suburb. Wow! Not a drop in my house, though. Rain is now gone, no more tornado watch either. :D

6.5" by now! :eek: But all is OK, we have good drainage.

Edited to add: OK, that was what wunderground dot com was telling me, but I'm listening to WWL-TV news and they say we got over 8" in my suburb. Wow! Not a drop in my house, though. Rain is now gone, no more tornado watch either. :D

Better heed the words of old Johnny Cash...

Better heed the words of old Johnny Cash...

ROFL! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Well, one thing's for sure. I can't complain about it, after all my moaning and groaning about the drought last summer! :D Just wish we could somehow smooth it out during the year, but that'd never happen. :D

Feast or famine here as well in the rain department. We're technically in drought but next several days are supposed to be raining. I always feel sorry for the tourists when the rain sets in for days at a time.

Of all our trips to the Islands as tourists, we never got rained out, though we experienced one of the worst non-hurricane rain events in the late 80's. IIRC it was around New Years day and the Island got 30 inches of rain in a day. They needed Michigan loaders to plow the mud off the coast highway near where we now live.

Turns out the locals dispose of trash and even old cars in the huge drainage channels and, sure enough, the back log of junk had plugged the drainage, causing significant flooding. Supposedly, the trash issue in the canals is now "monitored" more closely. Heh, heh, we may soon find out.

We had our "watches" yesterday. Still very windy but know tornado warnings around here yesterday or today. Which is more than okay with me. Hate those things.
Bil2 in northern Mo is on a warning now but may be ending, and Sil1 in western Illinois is under a watch. Bil2 had 0.6” rain in 10 minutes.

I’ll be following this for a while to see if north central Illinois gets this weather.

I hate them as well.

Those tornados in Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, and nearby states were awful today! I watched them on youtube. We didn't get any tornados or other scary weather here, although the wind did get gustier than previously predicted and who knows what tomorrow may bring. Hope everyone is OK.

We have been and still are under a tornado watch today and there are a couple of warnings/alerts now being issued. The weather radio is going crazy with updates. I'm making plans to head to our shelter in the next 30 mins, if needed. :hide:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: W2R
^^ Stay safe and bring plenty of snacks to your shelter!
Thanks, we made it. We (me, the DW and dog) were in the shelter 90+ mins. When I walked back in the house the phone was ringing. It was a neighbor about a mile down the road asking if we were okay and if we had any "tarps". He got some roof damage so I grabbed a couple of tarps I had and took them to him. When I got back home I checked my house and property. Luckily no damaged. I checked my home weather station and it recorded winds up to 45mph and almost 2 inches of rain. I know we got some small hail too but not big enough to cause any damage. Dodged another bullet. :)

Shelter Learning's: I need internet access and an extension of my land line in my shelter and of course as Ronstar pointed out, snacks!

Last edited:
Thanks, we made it. We (me, the DW and dog) were in the shelter 90+ mins. When I walked back in the house the phone was ringing. It was a neighbor about a mile down the road asking if we were okay and if we had any "tarps". He got some roof damage so I grabbed a couple of tarps I had and took them to him. When I got back home I checked my house and property. Luckily no damaged. I checked my home weather station and it recorded winds up to 45mph and almost 2 inches of rain. I know we got some small hail too but not big enough to cause any damage. Dodged another bullet. :)

Shelter Learning's: I need internet access and an extension of my land line in my shelter and of course as Ronstar pointed out, snacks!
We were spared down this way with only 1.25" rain, no hail or big winds.

In the past 24 hours, we have had ~8 inches of rain, some small hail for maybe 15 minutes, 30 to 40mph winds for several hours, thunder and lighting "all night long" and a 2+ hour power outage this morning. Now, sun is coming out. Hope we're done with this "stuff" for a while. Good luck for you folks to the south and east of us, it's heading your way.

• Wow
In the past 24 hours, we have had ~8 inches of rain, some small hail for maybe 15 minutes, 30 to 40mph winds for several hours, thunder and lighting "all night long" and a 2+ hour power outage this morning. Now, sun is coming out. Hope we're done with this "stuff" for a while. Good luck for you folks to the south and east of us, it's heading your way.
5+" of rain here and still raining. No power loss (yet). My tee time has been cancelled for 2:12 PM today.

• Wow
Wow, we traveled south around San Antonio last night and this morning. Weird huge low cloud system, drizzle and fog and the occasional brief downpour. But fortunately for us it looked all the big thunderstorms passed to the north.

Big storms last night and a break around 9:00 AM this morning. Enough time for me to walk the dog, but now it's thundering and ready to pour again. 8" rain in the last 24 hours and some streets are flooded.

Supposed to rain today and for the next 3 days, but right now it is sunny.
We are still a bit low in yearly moisture, so rain will be nice when it arrives

Back
Top Bottom