This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposed to be around -3 here in the morning. I don't really mind the temps, but we have had a bit of a breeze the last day or so which is unusual for here. Hopefully some snow coming starting Sunday. Then slightly above freezing temps next week. At this time of the year I just don't care because I know it's not going to last more than a couple more weeks unless something really weird happens. I noticed back in college the temps always broke about a week before the end of Feb. Not talking 50+ degrees......but usually upper 30's during the day....good enough to get rid of the snow and ice. Last day of Feb the average high in Spokane is 44.....I'd take it.

Have almost an inch of snow and its still coming down pretty good. Its icing up underneath on the roads and traffic is a mess. Weatherman called for just a dusting. 17 degrees, but last night had a windchill of 4 degrees.

Have almost an inch of snow and its still coming down pretty good. Its icing up underneath on the roads and traffic is a mess. Weatherman called for just a dusting. 17 degrees, but last night had a windchill of 4 degrees.

That is awful weather, DFW! Sounds like treacherous driving, too.

After "shorts weather" in the upper 70's last weekend, I just discovered that it is 36 outside and the forecast for today is 70% chance of ice pellets! :eek: No way am I going to drive in "wintry mix", even though it is my turn to drive when F and I get together this afternoon. I don't know how to drive in this stuff and at my age I don't want to learn. Either he can drive, or else we can just not get together today. :-\

We could talk on the phone. :cell: (OK, I admit it - - I was dying to use this cute emoticon!)

Last edited:
Same here..

Another reason it's so nice being retired. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

=After "shorts weather" in the upper 70's last weekend, I just discovered that it is 36 outside and the forecast for today is 70% chance of ice pellets! :eek:

And while I was posting, it just now started! I can hear the ice pellets or whatever-it-is in this "wintry mix", banging down on the pavement outside my window and hitting the window lightly now and then too. It's dark and ugly outside, too. Pretty unusual for New Orleans.

Edited to add: And now it sounds like sleet! This is quite a show. No way am I budging from my nice, warm home for a while. Thank heavens I am retired.

Last edited:
As a former Professional, I am now happy to be an Amateur:LOL:

As a current winter Professional, I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am of you Amateurs! Twenty four hours ago:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391708489.846901.jpg

Haven't had mail picked up in 2 days. Appears that everyone's cleared out mailboxes. Oh well nobody's gonna send me a check.
MRG

I don't know how to drive in this stuff and at my age I don't want to learn.

Aw, it isn't that hard, and learning it is downright fun if you do it off public roads. I got it for free in training on a high speed track and skid pad but this can't be the only place that has classes: Accident Avoidance | Summit Point Raceway

While that one is in WV no doubt there's someplace closer to you that has similar classes.

Aw, it isn't that hard, and learning it is downright fun if you do it off public roads. I got it for free in training on a high speed track and skid pad but this can't be the only place that has classes: Accident Avoidance | Summit Point Raceway

While that one is in WV no doubt there's someplace closer to you that has similar classes.

I would like a lot more snow out here. Currently driving a Subaru Forester with nice Winter tires on it...I have a heck of a time even getting my car to slide. Damn thing sticks to the ground like crazy. Sometimes I wish I still had my old Datsun pickup that had rear wheel drive and was really light in the back.....could go around corners sideways without hardly trying. Nothing like practicing these skills in a school parking lot (preferably without cars in the lot) or something so you can't destroy anything.

Three inches of solid ice covering our 300+ feet of driveway. First time the temps are projected to get up to freezing will be Saturday afternoon, at which time more snow is predicted.

I'm just glad I have plenty of PeopleChow in the larder and plenty of birdseed on hand for our feathered friends.

:ROFLMAO: Perhaps like beauty, fun is in the eye of the beholder. :D

It turned out to be mostly rain this afternoon after that initial ice and sleet, so although Frank drove it really wasn't a problem. Still, I was glad he was at the wheel instead of me, in case it got worse.

I am just SO glad that I was not coping with 3 inches of solid ice, like Braumeister! :eek: Or shoveling snow like BestWifeEver's DH did yesterday in that photo.

Last edited:
My recent (this week) trip to North Dakota reminded me of the 30+ years I lived in Connecticut and Michigan. I had a taste of 0 F to -17 F (not including wind chill) and I realized why I moved to Texas. It's so cold up there it can't snow.

Got off the plane tonight and it was a balmy 35 F (didn't even put on the parka!).

My recent (this week) trip to North Dakota reminded me of the 30+ years I lived in Connecticut and Michigan. I had a taste of 0 F to -17 F (not including wind chill) and I realized why I moved to Texas. It's so cold up there it can't snow.

Got off the plane tonight and it was a balmy 35 F (didn't even put on the parka!).

You need to move to North Texas, and then you might have a chance to put on your parka:LOL:

As cold as this winter has been I'm grateful we still haven't had anything like this 2 1/2 foot snow in 2010. But it's still February and if we get hammered that's usually the month it happens.

Attachments

• Snow_2010.jpg
    Snow_2010.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 5
You need to move to North Texas, and then you might have a chance to put on your parka:LOL:

Yes, DFW area is good for an occasional ice storm. I have been there and done that, so to say. And I have been snowed in for two days at the Amarillo airport.:facepalm:

Yes, DFW area is good for an occasional ice storm. I have been there and done that, so to say. And I have been snowed in for two days at the Amarillo airport.:facepalm:

The humanity...

In Dec '06, I think it was, exGF and I were flying to San Diego for Christmas. The stopover was in Denver. It was snowing sideways. We waited on the runway for some time, were de-iced, then off we went. We were the last flight out before the airport was closed for three days. That would have sucked mightily!

It's been raining now for a few days and it should continue all weekend (this has been the longest wet spell since we moved to the west coast almost 2 years ago). I am not complaining tough as we needed the rain. And hopefully it will make for a nice spring wildflower show in the mountains.

It's been raining now for a few days and it should continue all weekend (this has been the longest wet spell since we moved to the west coast almost 2 years ago). I am not complaining tough as we needed the rain. And hopefully it will make for a nice spring wildflower show in the mountains.

Amen to that! :)

Nobody is complaining about the rain here in NoCal this weekend.

We're only about 10% of normal this year...after a couple of dry years.

Let it rain!

63F here where I am, and sunny. Just went for a walk around the neighborhood. It will hit the high 70s this weekend.

Hard to believe that in TX, as far south as Houston, it is down to 37F.

Meanwhile, Miami is up to 83F. I would have to run the A/C if it's that warm.

We keep telling ourselves "Only three weeks until March, only three weeks...."

By then we start to see improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom