This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Army Corps of Engineers is preparing to open the Bonnet Carre Spillway that will divert some Mississippi River water southwards before it reaches New Orleans. This spillway is just upstream from New Orleans.

They are thinking about opening another, much more serious diversion farther upstream at Baton Rouge, called the Morganza Floodway. This is not taken lightly and is hardly ever done, because it will flood a great deal of other land in less populated areas in order to save New Orleans. Lots of water on the way and we will probably be fine, but at the expense of other Louisianians. That is never a good feeling. :( But, it may be the wisest decision under the circumstances.

OK, it's on live TV - - they just opened the Bonnet Carre Spillway for the first time since 2011. This is just upstream from New Orleans. It's so impressive to watch all that water being diverted away from the usual Mississippi River channel, through other routes to the Gulf of Mexico in order to lower the river height down here in New Orleans.

That will help but the big one is the Morganza Floodwy which is much more rarely opened; I suspect they will need to open it soon as well, given the flooding going on further north.

Reminds me of the only time I was in -40 degree weather, many years ago in Iceland. I was fascinated because it's the only point where Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales coincide. Damn chilly! The wind chill brought it down nearer -60, and the blowing snow made it necessary to have ropes between the doors of the buildings so you could guide yourself hand over hand.

This morning we had the first snow of the season here. Just about a half inch, but so beautiful.

My parents had many farmer friends. When we would go to visit in the winter they all had ropes at about shoulder height that led from their houses to the barn and the garage so they could find their way in blizzard conditions. Most farmers around here now live in town and of those that still live on the farms there are very few that keep cattle and garages are attached to the houses. There is no longer any great need for the guide ropes.

OK, it's on live TV - - they just opened the Bonnet Carre Spillway for the first time since 2011. This is just upstream from New Orleans. It's so impressive to watch all that water being diverted away from the usual Mississippi River channel, through other routes to the Gulf of Mexico in order to lower the river height down here in New Orleans.

That will help but the big one is the Morganza Floodwy which is much more rarely opened; I suspect they will need to open it soon as well, given the flooding going on further north.

Good bye Morgan City.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Good bye Morgan City.

Could be. From Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganza_Spillway

At risk in the Atchafalaya Basin are Morgan City (population 13,500), various smaller populated places, many farms, thousands of oil and gas wells, and considerable swampland. Inhabitants know that the region is a natural floodplain, and the Corps of Engineers issues written notices annually to all interests reminding them of the possibility that it might open the spillway and flood the area. Any decision to open the spillway must be carefully planned to give ample warning and protect life and property. Part of that planning process includes the Corps' preparation of maps known as "inundation scenarios" so that interested parties can discuss how much water, if any, should be allowed through the spillway
No matter how much flooding occurs, or how far they do or do not open the Spillway, or how much warning anybody gets, it is heartbreaking for those affected and probably for those who must make the decision.

The Morganza Spillway has only been opened twice before in all history, in 1973 and again in 2011. Maybe they will decide against it.

Last edited:
First snow of the winter for us. Right now just enough to show white, but maybe an inch later on.

Okay, it snowed. I'm ready for spring.

10 below zero right now.

Attachments

• 1601498_10151874004043603_1447632478_n.jpg
    1601498_10151874004043603_1447632478_n.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
Second coldest day of the winter so far. 13 below zero with a 13 mph wind for a windchill of -35. Supposed to hit -26 tonight and tomorrow night no forecast yet on wind.

Attachments

• 12523000_1010575212335879_5641797464005279195_n.jpg
    12523000_1010575212335879_5641797464005279195_n.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Beautiful photo, Nodak!!

Surely that's not smog that I am seeing in the photo, off in the distance. Is that effect due to the cold temperatures?

Anyway, stay warm if you can.

It's 63F here today, with bright sunny skies so it will probably warm up more later. I awakened to find a bright sunbeam splashed across my den this morning, which reminded me of the John Denver song "Sunbeam on my Shoulders". I love the weather here. The crime level stinks, but you can't have everything.

Whenever I curse the winter weather gods in Chicago, I know I can get an instant warmup by seeing a post from Nodak. Now I feel like we're snowbirds with our balmy high forecast tomorrow of 5 degrees.

0 today with -35 wind chills in St. Paul. But it is sunny, the heat is cranked up, cats are purring, and a very cozy day.
There was a story on the news last night as to how wind chills began to be calculated differently in 2002 (or thereabouts: I can't remember exactly). Before that time -35 was -50.
Supposed to bounce back into the 30s by the end of next week.

the haze in the background of the photo is retreating ice fog; just a very thick haze of ice crystals. That's why the tree branches are frosted over. The sun came out as the fog left. We are supposed to be in the +20s area by next Thursday.

I really like the look of the frosted trees, here's 3 more. I wish I could take cedit for these but they were done by friends. Windchill warnings for -50 have been issued for tonight. I am not going anywhere.

Attachments

• 1491785_1004543766272357_3086850083598690910_n - Copy.jpg
    1491785_1004543766272357_3086850083598690910_n - Copy.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 10009848_1001858406540893_1340676115123347050_n - Copy.jpg
    10009848_1001858406540893_1340676115123347050_n - Copy.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 12376203_10208676840141685_2948844568394256905_n.jpg
    12376203_10208676840141685_2948844568394256905_n.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
the haze in the background of the photo is retreating ice fog; just a very thick haze of ice crystals. That's why the tree branches are frosted over. The sun came out as the fog left. We are supposed to be in the +20s area by next Thursday.

Ah!!! Thank you. I had never heard of ice fog before, but thought it looked like some sort of weather phenomenon so that makes sense. Thanks for explaining. :)

Ice fog can make some really neat displays at night. Where ever there is a light a column will form above it.

Attachments

• dsc_0932.jpg
    dsc_0932.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 21
  • pillars_tape_big.jpg
    pillars_tape_big.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 20
Ice fog can make some really neat displays at night. Where ever there is a light a column will form above it.

WOW!!!!! That's amazing! If I ever saw that, I'd think I was hallucinating. :LOL:

All that, and you get Northern Lights, too. So many different light shows in the sky up there.

WOW!!!!! That's amazing! If I ever saw that, I'd think I was hallucinating. :LOL:

All that, and you get Northern Lights, too. So many different light shows in the sky up there.

Hey, W2R, maybe you and Frank should consider a trip north! That Toyota Venza would like a workout too!

Hey, W2R, maybe you and Frank should consider a trip north! That Toyota Venza would like a workout too!

The nice thing about photos, is that I don't have to experience sub zero temperatures to see the light show. :D

I know, I know, experiences are better than things but I think this is one experience I wouldn't mind skipping. Brrrrrrrr! :)

The nice thing about photos, is that I don't have to experience sub zero temperatures to see the light show. :D

I know, I know, experiences are better than things but I think this is one experience I wouldn't mind skipping. Brrrrrrrr! :)

I understand. I used to live north of Nodak, where Music Lover lives now. I moved because I didn't want to deal with the winters any more after over 20 years. They are extreme but strangely beautiful. I'm glad I had the experience.

That's quite alright, I'll take the cold over hurricanes any day. I've never spent a winter south of Minneapolis so I'm used to it.

Second coldest day of the winter so far. 13 below zero with a 13 mph wind for a windchill of -35. Supposed to hit -26 tonight and tomorrow night no forecast yet on wind.

Almost gives me fond memories of Purdhoe bay, minus the tree. Or Fairbanks. Mercifully the Aleutians were not nearly as cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom