This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it strange that anyone's life outlook is based on weather.

I find it strange that anyone's life outlook is based on weather.

You could probably more easily avoid posts about the effect of weather on people's outlook on life, if you avoided threads named "This weather is awful!" (for example).

It's dark as night here right now, and the thunderstorm is just beginning. We have a flood advisory, gusty winds, and possibly severe storm just arriving.

OK, I love thunderstorms as long as there is no property damage or bad flooding.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
The outside air temperature this morning was 61°. I had to turn on the heat for a bit, it was chilly in here.:D

Yeah it's been 50-70s here and the mornings need the "gas powered wood stove" turned on for an hour or so.

The outside air temperature this morning was 61°. I had to turn on the heat for a bit, it was chilly in here.:D

The thermometer in my back yard reads 110F. It was only 109F yesterday... :p

Yikes, it's only 90 here! 110? You might as well be in an oven. That's awful. If you tried to fry eggs on the sidewalk, they might even char with weather like that. My sympathies and I hope it cools off soon.

I'm so glad that my new AC is working as well as it is. I've adjusted my thermostat as much due to being cold as due to being hot today.

Even better, my electric bill this month was $66, whereas last year in July it was $170.
:dance:

Today in New Orleans, the weather is sunny with blue skies. Go figure. It rained almost every day for the past couple of months, causing me to put a rainy day avatar in place. So the rains stop.

Last edited:
Terrible here 78, low humidity, soft breeze. It's going to make me hate it when it turns! [emoji12]

Yesterday's thunderstorms flooded much of New Orleans, from knee deep to waist deep. Our block didn't flood, and I was safe and dry at home, watching it on TV. But F was out and never got to where he was going, and it was hard for him to get back. He called me three times during the several hours that he was searching for a safe way home, and came by when he got here, just to reassure me that he was safe. Thank goodness he takes "turn around, don't drown" seriously. He saw many, many abandoned and flooded cars as well as flooded businesses and homes.

More thunderstorms are predicted for today, and it is already raining lightly. I am so glad to be retired, especially since the road to my former workplace is one of those that often floods.

Here's a photo that I found online (don't know these men, but it shows the floodwater):

Attachments

• flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 22
Wow, WR, that is a lot of rain!
We have been in the low 100's, high 90's. Very unusual for this length of time here.
Also, smoke from the fire in Canada has created poor air quality, so much so that the city nearby and kids camps closed down pools and outside activities earlier in the week!

Wow, WR, that is a lot of rain!
We have been in the low 100's, high 90's. Very unusual for this length of time here.
Also, smoke from the fire in Canada has created poor air quality, so much so that the city nearby and kids camps closed down pools and outside activities earlier in the week!

I hope you can stay out of the smoke! That sounds awful. I had thought they put those fires out but apparently not. I saw some photos of the smoke/smog in the northwest on Facebook, and it was shockingly thick.

Here's an article about the flooding here. It doesn't say much, but there are more photos.
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.s...we_k.html#incart_2box_nola_river_orleans_news

Last edited:
Yesterday's thunderstorms flooded much of New Orleans, from knee deep to waist deep. Our block didn't flood, and I was safe and dry at home, watching it on TV. But F was out and never got to where he was going, and it was hard for him to get back. He called me three times during the several hours that he was searching for a safe way home, and came by when he got here, just to reassure me that he was safe. Thank goodness he takes "turn around, don't drown" seriously. He saw many, many abandoned and flooded cars as well as flooded businesses and homes.

More thunderstorms are predicted for today, and it is already raining lightly. I am so glad to be retired, especially since the road to my former workplace is one of those that often floods.

Here's a photo that I found online (don't know these men, but it shows the floodwater):
Wow. I grew up in New Orleans and remember lots of rain, not so much flooding. I went there after Katrina, though. On one of my devices I have a photo of me standing inside a house on St. Charles with the water line on the wall behind me up to my shoulders.

I hope you can stay out of the smoke! That sounds awful. I had thought they put those fires out but apparently not. I saw some photos of the smoke/smog in the northwest on Facebook, and it was shockingly thick.

W2R, I am sorry to hear of this flooding. Let's hope it recedes soon.

I am in BC in an area with significant smoke, though luckily not in Kamloops, where air quality is off the charts. Hospital visits are up 20-50% due to respiratory problems. I feel sorry for the many people who have lost their homes and hope it doesn't happen to me.

We are only halfway through the wildfire season, which has, to date, been second only to 1958 in terms of area burnt. There was not one drop of rain in July. Firefighting crews are exhausted and are being assisted by teams from other provinces and countries, including the US, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand. In recent years, almost every summer seems to be a wildfire risk. The effects of climate change are very real.

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercoo...her/Smoke_skies_expected_to_improve_slightly/

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/203570/Smoke-emergency-calls

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercoo...dfire_could_get_worse_before_they_get_better/

Last edited:
That is awful, Meadbh! I am glad that the US is sending firefighters up there, but it sounds like more are needed. I hope the fires can be put out soon.

I think we got a lot of rain that you should have had - - we had more than 22" of rain just in June and July. If I could send you some, I would... :)

Here's an article with more photos of the flooding:

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.s...we_k.html#incart_2box_nola_river_orleans_news

Air quality is very poor today. I can't see the mountains on the other side of the lake. I changed my air filter yesterday and it was quite dirty. Today my thermostat is telling me to change it again!

Attachments

• IMG_3768.jpg
    IMG_3768.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 11
Air quality is very poor today. I can't see the mountains on the other side of the lake. I changed my air filter yesterday and it was quite dirty. Today my thermostat is telling me to change it again!
Hope you have a box full of them and if not, it might be a good idea to get more ASAP. I was shocked to see this photo of Portland Oregon last week, posted on Facebook by someone who lives there. And that's considerably south of Canada. :( It must be so much worse where you are. I hope it isn't too difficult for you to breathe.

If so, might be time for a vacation to get away from the smoke. Even if you do not have lung disease, it can't be good to breathe it.

Rain has decreased to just a drizzle, but as soon as it starts again I'm sending more of it to you.

Attachments

• portland.jpg
    portland.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom