This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won't really have a feel for how big this storm will get until it passes the Yucatán.

Looks like it's going to move really fast once it gets past the Yucatán.

Yesterday's path had it crossing Dad's house in GA again.

We won't really have a feel for how big this storm will get until it passes the Yucatán.

Looks like it's going to move really fast once it gets past the Yucatán.

Yesterday's path had it crossing Dad's house in GA again.
We have an official State of Emergency here now.

A mandatory evacuation has been called for St. Bernard Parish, the nearest Parish (=County) south of New Orleans and adjacent to us.

National Guard are being sent to New Orleans.

People are filling sandbags.

The Mayor is interacting with all relevant officials and agencies, and has given a speech about an hour ago advising residents on what to do and not do.

Honestly I don't see how they can already know where this storm is going, well enough to do these things! This is just wild, but it is what is happening here right now.

A mandatory evacuation has been called for St. Bernard Parish, the nearest Parish (=County) south of New Orleans and adjacent to us.

The Mayor is interacting with all relevant officials and agencies, and has given a speech about an hour ago advising residents on what to do and not do.

Honestly I don't see how they can already know where this storm is going, well enough to do these things! This is just wild, but it is what is happening here right now.

What you never heard of: "Better Safe than Sorry" ?

I was thinking besides $$$$ and gas, you should also get a case of water (or fill your empty water containers :cool: ) and some canned food (beans, tuna, salmon, chicken, chili, soups, etc).

If it hits you will be ready, if it doesn't you won't need to shop for groceries for a week, either way you win. :)

What you never heard of: "Better Safe than Sorry" ?

I was thinking besides $$$$ and gas, you should also get a case of water (or fill your empty water containers :cool: ) and some canned food (beans, tuna, salmon, chicken, chili, soups, etc).

If it hits you will be ready, if it doesn't you won't need to shop for groceries for a week, either way you win. :)

Thanks. Like many here, we have developed a habit of keeping that stuff in the house during hurricane season, and also our freezers are empty and frig nearly so.

I am totally floored at the actions being taken by our officials, but I guess you are right. They don't want to mess up. But still, wow. I'd hate to be in their position, having to make these decisions.

Since we are theoretically protected by our levee system, we don't have an evacuation ordered right now here in New Orleans like they have in St. Bernard. But the Mayor here did suggest that "there's nothing wrong with voluntarily choosing to go on vacation for a day or two this weekend" if we want to.

Last edited:

Yeah - I saw that!

The evacuation orders for Hurricane Irma was what really caused a mess . First they evacuated east Florida who came to west Florida and then the storm moved west and we were all evacuated but there were no Hotels available at that point . Next time there is a hurricane predicted I will book a Hotel in advance . Good Luck W2R . I hope it stays a tropical storm .

The evacuation orders for Hurricane Irma was what really caused a mess . First they evacuated east Florida who came to west Florida and then the storm moved west and we were all evacuated but there were no Hotels available at that point . Next time there is a hurricane predicted I will book a Hotel in advance . Good Luck W2R . I hope it stays a tropical storm .
Thank you! I do too. :(

Hopefully, it will burn itself out in the Gulf.
That's a nice thought too, thank you. I hope so too.^-^

Good morning!

According to what I am hearing on TV, it looks like Nate *might* not make a direct hit on New Orleans after all. It is now predicted to make landfall as a Category 2 hurricane, at Biloxi which puts us on the "good side" of the storm. Those saying this also say that we will still be affected with strong tropical storm level winds, rain, and storm surge, but hopefully will not get the worst of the storm. Better for us, but worse for Missisippi and Alabama clear to Mobile; some areas are predicted to receive sustained winds of over 100 mph. :(

BUT - - - We still have an official hurricane warning here from the NHC, so reports are conflicting. TV meteorologists are saying we will know more by 4 PM (about 5 hours from now). The NWS insists we will experience hurricane force winds as early as 7 PM.

Confusing! The "take-away" is that nobody actually knows for sure right now and officials are trying to be responsible about what they say.

But I am very hopeful. The mayor is not at all hopeful, on the other hand. He is back on TV at the moment telling us to stay off the roads and stay safely at home after the official 7 PM curfew, except for those in eastern New Orleans under a mandatory evacuation order who should be gone. He has not said a thing about Nate not making a direct hit. Our (Jefferson) Parish President out here in the suburbs, says we are expecting a significant wind event and says that the Parish (=County) has completed preparations. He admits we may not see the brunt of this storm (! :D ) but says to still expect an extreme wind event.

Frank and I are prepared for the worst, but hopeful, and will just wait this out.

Last edited:
Frank and I are prepared for the worst, but hopeful, and will just wait this out.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this storm will run out of energy before it reaches land.

Good morning!

According to what I am hearing on TV, it looks like Nate *might* not make a direct hit on New Orleans after all. It is now predicted to make landfall as a Category 2 hurricane, at Biloxi which puts us on the "good side" of the storm. Those saying this also say that we will still be affected with strong tropical storm level winds, rain, and storm surge, but hopefully will not get the worst of the storm. Better for us, but worse for Missisippi and Alabama clear to Mobile; some areas are predicted to receive sustained winds of over 100 mph. :(

BUT - - - We still have an official hurricane warning here from the NHC, so reports are conflicting. TV meteorologists are saying we will know more by 4 PM (about 5 hours from now). The NWS insists we will experience hurricane force winds as early as 7 PM.

Confusing! The "take-away" is that nobody actually knows for sure right now and officials are trying to be responsible about what they say.

But I am very hopeful. The mayor is not at all hopeful, on the other hand. He is back on TV at the moment telling us to stay off the roads and stay safely at home after the official 7 PM curfew, except for those in eastern New Orleans under a mandatory evacuation order who should be gone. He has not said a thing about Nate not making a direct hit. Our (Jefferson) Parish President out here in the suburbs, says we are expecting a significant wind event and says that the Parish has completed preparations. He admits we may not see the brunt of this storm (! :D ) but says to still expect an extreme wind event.

I think the problem is that they can't predict exactly where it is going to hit. So more people have to take precautions than may be seriously affected. Even though the messier part of the storm will usually be on the east side, if it lands as a Cat 2, you may still experience hurricane force winds on the west side as well, and even tropical storm winds are serious winds.

Stay safe!

I think the problem is that they can't predict exactly where it is going to hit. So more people have to take precautions than may be seriously affected. Even though the messier part of the storm will usually be on the east side, if it lands as a Cat 2, you may still experience hurricane force winds on the west side as well, and even tropical storm winds are serious winds.

Stay safe!

Exactly... the storm might just jog west at the last moment, end up going to the west of us, and slam us with everything it's got. :eek: Gee, I sure hope not.

Frank and I have both been through Category 1 hurricanes before, and they are so much stronger than they sound like but I know I can handle them. That said, while Frank has experienced a Category 2 and even 3, I never have and hope I don't this time.

Last edited:
Are we so worn out from hurricanes that Nate doesn't deserve its own thread?

Radar suggests that Nate is just a typical summer shower except for maybe the eyewall where winds will be higher. Maybe Nate doesn't deserve its own thread.

Exactly... the storm might just jog west at the last moment, end up going to the west of us, and slam us with everything it's got. :eek: Gee, I sure hope not.

Frank and I have both been through Category 1 hurricanes before, and they are so much stronger than they sound like but I know I can handle them. That said, while Frank has experienced a Category 2 and even 3, I never have and hope I don't this time.

Hang in there! So glad you had your old trees dealt with when you moved in--high winds are not a good match with old trees near a house. Keep us posted.

We are nowhere near Nate but we had a larger storm surge this afternoon than we had with Irma.Stay safe !

My internet was out for 8 hours, or I would have posted an update.

Basically Nate made landfall at the mouth of the Mississippi, just to the east of New Orleans, which put us on the "good side" of the storm. So, absolutely nothing! Landfall was sometime in the late afternoon or early evening I guess (no internet to check, until just this second). I listened to storm coverage on my weather radio and on local OTA television all afternoon. In our inner suburb we had an inch of rain from an outer band around lunchtime, and nothing but drizzle since. Nate was never expected to be a rain event, so much as wind but that is all to the east of the storm. Thankfully the winds are not too bad at all (here). OK, I can hear them howling a little bit, but nothing to write home about and I am not at all worried about roof damage. Nate remained a strong Category 1 despite forecasters' concern this morning that it might develop into a 2 or 3.

Whew! What a great surprise. I hope that Mississippi and Alabama didn't have too much damage.

Last edited:
Reports from family members in Biloxi say "Still have power. House is fine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom