Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #3461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looking good from here freebird. Any Snow Agel pics? Glad we are only schedoled for a dusting in SW PA.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #3462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My hero has come to the rescue....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MikePlowingFeb2015.jpg (565.3 KB, 21 views)

Old 02-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #3463

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Brings back nightmares of me living in Connecticut. I spoke with my sister today in CT and mentioned to her it was 80 F here yesterday and I cut the grass.
Ya just had to rub it in didn't ya?

I would have too.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #3464
Give me a forum ...

So long, farewell, Aufwiedersen, goodbye...my gardening buddy and I shoveled 28 inches of snow off the 20' x 20' deck today. I played Soundscapes digital music channel through my Bose speakers, and we got it all cleared off in 3 hours flat.

28F, no wind and lots of laughing about "OMG...are we really going to be able to do this?"
You betcha...CAN DO !!!

I did the lighter snow (top 12 inches) and then used the shovel like I was planting a tree to break up the packed down lower layers into manageable chunks. He did the heavy w*rk, lifting and throwing the snow off the deck into the yard.

TEAMW*RK !!!!!

My muscles are killing me head to toe. BUT...talk about an all body w*rkout. My buddy is 66 and w*rked like a 20 year old. I'm 56 and have hand and wrist issues, but so did I.

I treated him to a late lunch and drinks afterwards. He had a pita pocket stuffed with tuna salad and French fries and several glasses of wine afterwards. I had a huge bleu cheese burger and lots of bottles of Coors Lite.

Whee !
Old 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #3465

Okay, this is getting as bad as last year. Forecast for -3 F tonight. DW is leaving soon to babysit grandnieces. Their house, an end unit townhouse, was 58 inside this morning and not on purpose. Sure glad we have natural gas heat!

She is taking thermals and foot and hand warmers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forecast.JPG (59.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #3466
Give me a forum ...

This weather is awful!!

Apparently Niagra Falls has frozen over.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ozen-over.html
Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #3467

Here in the DC area, this winter wasn't *too* bad, yet, at least until the past couple weeks. Now 2013-14 was a cold one...lowest overall average temperatures since 2008-09, which was when I really started keeping track. Incidentally, the year I switched from oil heat to an all-electric heat pump.

This past weekend, it got cold enough that I had a pipe freeze...something I haven't had happen since the winter of 2009-10. Nothing too serious, thankfully. Usually I would let the faucets drip when temps got too cold, but then I read somewhere that you only need to let one drip, not all of them. So, I tried it. And in the morning, I turned them all on, just to see how they did, and they all opened up except the cold water for the bathroom sink. I put a space heater under the bathroom (crawlspace all around, no basement) and in a couple hours it freed up. Hopefully, no permanent damage.

We're supposed to get temps in the negatives on Thursday night...not looking forward to that! Hope my space heater holds up!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #3468
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Apparently Niagra Falls has frozen over.

Niagara Falls Has Frozen Over -- NYMag
The headline of the article reads: "First the Bryant Park Fountain, Now Niagara Falls, Next the World".

Hah! We have had very little snow up in the high-country home this year.

And at the low-desert home, my wife's bok choy plants have literally gone to seed because the daily high has been in the mid 80s, a full 15F above the normal high. My snap peas have just germinated, and the way it's going I wonder if they can grow fast enough to produce before the blistering heat gets here.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #3469
Give me a forum ...

I'm in awe of the folks who have dealt with such snowfalls. We had a total of 9.5 inches here in the last 48 hours, and that's simple to deal with. My John Deere garden tractor with a 48" blade can clear my driveway in half an hour.

Reminds me of when I lived in Syracuse, NY long ago and we got 155" one year. People simply dealt with it -- not that big a deal.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #3470
Administrator

I'm in awe of ALL of you northerners, and your skills, experience, and abilities in dealing with the many, varied hazards presented by freezing weather.

Tonight we have a freeze warning but they tell us we don't have to drip our pipes, thank goodness. I hope they're right. I don't have any pets to protect from the cold. If my plants don't make it, then good riddance.

As usual, both a few days before and a few days after freezes like this are generally in the 70's, down here. Winter weather here is almost as much of a roller coaster as the financial markets.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #3471

Getting down to around -7 tonight. Tomorrow a heat wave at around 3. The good thing about this time of year is that we can go grocery shopping and leave the groceries in the car during other stops without the groceries spoiling.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #3472
Recycles dryer sheets

It all depends on where you are.

These photos were taken yesterday morning at about 6.15am on the Brisbane River.

However, they are expecting the effects of a tropical cyclone to ht Brisbane tomorrow with up to 300 mm of rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EP1030270.jpg (563.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg EP1030277.jpg (583.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #3473

For the past two months or so about 3 to 6 inches of global warming are all around town and the neighborhood.

Tomorrow's high is scheduled to be around +3 F. Fridays morning looks to be around -11F.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #3474

We are at number 2 for the snowiest winter in Boston at 96.7 inches and all but 5 inches of it fell since January 27th. In 1996 we got 107 inches over a two and half months period which made it much more manageable. Also this has been the second coldest February on record so what's falling is not melting at all and there is no space left for any more snow.

I'm glad I no longer have to commute 45 miles in this mess. At times the commute took almost 3 hours in treacherous conditions.

Only 30 more days until the first day of spring.......
Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #3475

The thing thats interesting in north Texas are the big swings in temp from one day to the next (e.g. 40-50 degrees) and we've had a few transitions like that since last November. Any how, planning on softball practice tomorrow morning.

Having come from the northeast, I am dumb founded as to what is happening up in Boston with roofs collapsing and no more room to put the snow. All you folks that are putting up with the super cool air and snow, stay safe out there.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #3476
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
For the past two months or so about 3 to 6 inches of global warming are all around town and the neighborhood.

It's now called "climate change" so that the term has flexibility......
Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #3477
Give me a forum ...

Nonsense, anybody with half a brain can see that there is global warming west of the Rockies and global cooling east of the Rockies. Simple.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #3478
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Tonight we have a freeze warning but they tell us we don't have to drip our pipes, thank goodness. I hope they're right. I don't have any pets to protect from the cold. If my plants don't make it, then good riddance.
Our low turned out to be 40F instead of the predicted 28F-30F. Some freeze, huh. I'll bet the meteorologists are scrambling trying to figure out that one.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #3479
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nonsense, anybody with half a brain can see that there is global warming west of the Rockies and global cooling east of the Rockies. Simple.
Meanwhile, in Vancouver (BC)...

Vancouver's cherry blossom early blooms get us going - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 02-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #3480

Quote:
Grand Theft Heat then! We want our heat back!