This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been following the snow reports in Erie. I went to college there and just can’t believe the amount of snow this week! Hopefully the rest of winter is much more calm and dry.

If only. They are forecasting another 16 inches tonight. Fortunately a front loader came by early today to clean up some of the mess already on the ground.

1229171413b.jpg

When I lived in Syracuse, they kept plowing the parking lot in front of w*rk into a huge pile. It would generally still be there until July. Since my job needed me to get in while still dark and stay until well after dark (and there were no windows in the building), winters were pretty depressing. I was very glad to leave after three years.

Currently -35C (-31F) with a -46C (-51F) wind chill.

Something on my car is draining the battery. It barely started last night even though it was plugged in and the battery is only a year old. I did install a battery tender yesterday so hopefully that alleviates the problem once it has a chance to fully charge the battery.

That being said...I'm looking for a new car. And this one will have a heated steering wheel :LOL:

I'm looking for a new car. And this one will have a heated steering wheel :LOL:

That's something I've never understood. When it's that cold out I'm wearing gloves, so a heated steering wheel seems (to me) like a strange feature.

But I feel the same way about the "rain sensing wipers" that are becoming more common. I mean, really? Do they think I'm so dimwitted that I can't tell it has started raining? All I have to do is move my finger to flip the lever and turn on the wipers.

I'm just a 20th century person in a 21st century world. :facepalm:

Currently -35C (-31F) with a -46C (-51F) wind chill.

Something on my car is draining the battery. It barely started last night even though it was plugged in and the battery is only a year old. I did install a battery tender yesterday so hopefully that alleviates the problem once it has a chance to fully charge the battery.

That being said...I'm looking for a new car. And this one will have a heated steering wheel :LOL:

Buy a car that will get you the hell someplace warmer!

That's something I've never understood. When it's that cold out I'm wearing gloves, so a heated steering wheel seems (to me) like a strange feature.

Spend a winter here and you'll quickly change your mind. :LOL:

There's cold and then there's COLD. Driving with gloves on when it's a little below freezing is fine, but when it's -30 the cold from the frozen steering wheel seeps through the gloves and freezes your hands.

Originally Posted by Music Lover
I'm looking for a new car. And this one will have a heated steering wheel :LOL:
That's something I've never understood. When it's that cold out I'm wearing gloves, so a heated steering wheel seems (to me) like a strange feature. ...

I love my heated steering wheel, and it will be a deal breaker for any new cars I buy (unless I move to a warmer climate).

I don't like wearing gloves in the car. If they really keep me warm in the really cold weather, (and only mittens do that), they are too bulky to press buttons in the car, then you get warm and want to take them off. Do you leave them in the car, take them with you? They tend to get lost. I keep heavy gloves, hat and coat in the car for an emergency.

But I feel the same way about the "rain sensing wipers" that are becoming more common. I mean, really? Do they think I'm so dimwitted that I can't tell it has started raining? All I have to do is move my finger to flip the lever and turn on the wipers.

I'm just a 20th century person in a 21st century world. :facepalm:

For me, it's not about on/off - I can do that. It's when you have light rain, or occasional splash from on-coming traffix - the intermittent time won't match the rate the window is smearing. I like having it wipe when needed, rather than X seconds.

-ERD50

I'll also chime in on heated seats - I never really cared for them much. Had them in my Volvo, almost never used them. They warmed up pretty slowly, and then they were too warm. I also think that by keeping the trunk of your body warm, you get less blood flow to the hands (brains says you are warm), so the hands actually stay colder.

And that's another reason I like the heated steering wheel - keep those hands warm.

The heated seats in my new Buick seem much better, and I do use them. They warm up fast on HI, and have a MED and LOW setting, so after a few minutes I click to LOW - nice.

-ERD50

Spend a winter here and you'll quickly change your mind. :LOL:

There's cold and then there's COLD. Driving with gloves on when it's a little below freezing is fine, but when it's -30 the cold from the frozen steering wheel seeps through the gloves and freezes your hands.

OK, thanks. I understand now.

I have actually lived in very cold places, but it was long ago and I've forgotten the feeling.

My next car, which will be along in a few months, does in fact have a heated steering wheel (it came standard when I ordered heated seats), so I'll be trying it out.

Arizona, we wear oven mitts in the summer for driving.

Given that, I now don't mind the single digits around here. Gloves look bbetter than oven mitts IMHO.

I have some thin knit gloves in my coat pocket that I bought in 2006 for $1 at the surplus store in Springfield, MO. These are my only gloves and I have not used them here.

My Venza has heated seats, but I have never used the heat feature. It came with the package.

As for the weather being awful, yesterday we had predictions of a wintry mix of snow, sleet, ice, and so on, for tomorrow.

Now it has changed to cold rain all day Sunday, followed by a freeze watch in the wee hours of Monday morning with a low of 29F. I believe that is the lowest temperature we have had this winter.

Both Frank and I had new Trane HVAC systems put in our houses last year and both seem to be better than superb. So, bring it on! We'll be comfortable no matter what Mother Nature has to offer. :cool:

Last edited:
Icy roads in north Texas and the panhandle are delaying my trip back to New Mexico. One of the benefits of retirement is that I don't have to be anywhere next week so this is not a problem.

We had about an inch of snow today and it was really cold, so I used my leaf blower on the driveway. It does not work when the temperature is close to 30 degrees, because the snow clumps , but with a light, powdery snow, it was perfect today.

Our temperatures have been going up and down in a weather rollercoaster. Yesterday's high was 59, so I just now checked the weather to see if maybe today it would be warm enough to wear shorts again.

Nope.

Instead, my location has a winter weather advisory and wind chill advisory, with freezing rain, sleet, snow, and cold winds expected. See attachment for what I saw.

This is not what we are used to in New Orleans! People here (including me) just can't drive in these conditions, whether on bridges or not. Luckily I am retired so I don't have to drive anywhere once this begins. :D On days like this, retirement is even nicer than it normally is. I plan to stay inside where it is cozy, warm, and dry.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 23
Our temperatures have been going up and down in a weather rollercoaster. Yesterday's high was 59, so I just now checked the weather to see if maybe today it would be warm enough to wear shorts again.

Nope.

Same here.

It was partly cloudy and 70 here yesterday, today (noon) it is 25, overcast and freezing rain. There is a coating of ice on all outdoor surfaces. No shorts, other than in the electrical lines supplying power to my internet provider. (I'm on my phone).

Same here.

It was partly cloudy and 70 here yesterday, today (noon) it is 25, overcast and freezing rain. There is a coating of ice on all outdoor surfaces. No shorts, other than in the electrical lines supplying power to my internet provider. (I'm on my phone).

Wow!!! That's a huge change in weather. I guess that is the weather that is on its way to south Louisiana. Hope your internet service is restored soon.

Right now it is 44F here but dropping rapidly. Looking through my French doors as I type, I can see treetops in my neighbors' yards being blown around quite a bit by gusty winds. Brrrr.

It's been -28C to -31C for the last few days, but tomorrow is forecasted to warm up to around freezing/a little under and stay like that for a few days.

Zero here today just outside St Louis with snow flurries. I am 6 days from heading south for 2 months of beach and golf with DW. She already wants to leave earlier next year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom