Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #3661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Second coldest day of the winter so far. 13 below zero with a 13 mph wind for a windchill of -35. Supposed to hit -26 tonight and tomorrow night no forecast yet on wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12523000_1010575212335879_5641797464005279195_n.jpg (109.6 KB, 24 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #3662
Administrator

Beautiful photo, Nodak!!

Surely that's not smog that I am seeing in the photo, off in the distance. Is that effect due to the cold temperatures?

Anyway, stay warm if you can.

It's 63F here today, with bright sunny skies so it will probably warm up more later. I awakened to find a bright sunbeam splashed across my den this morning, which reminded me of the John Denver song "Sunbeam on my Shoulders". I love the weather here. The crime level stinks, but you can't have everything.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #3663
Moderator Emeritus

Whenever I curse the winter weather gods in Chicago, I know I can get an instant warmup by seeing a post from Nodak. Now I feel like we're snowbirds with our balmy high forecast tomorrow of 5 degrees.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #3664

0 today with -35 wind chills in St. Paul. But it is sunny, the heat is cranked up, cats are purring, and a very cozy day.
There was a story on the news last night as to how wind chills began to be calculated differently in 2002 (or thereabouts: I can't remember exactly). Before that time -35 was -50.
Supposed to bounce back into the 30s by the end of next week.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #3665

the haze in the background of the photo is retreating ice fog; just a very thick haze of ice crystals. That's why the tree branches are frosted over. The sun came out as the fog left. We are supposed to be in the +20s area by next Thursday.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #3666

I really like the look of the frosted trees, here's 3 more. I wish I could take cedit for these but they were done by friends. Windchill warnings for -50 have been issued for tonight. I am not going anywhere.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #3667
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
the haze in the background of the photo is retreating ice fog; just a very thick haze of ice crystals. That's why the tree branches are frosted over. The sun came out as the fog left. We are supposed to be in the +20s area by next Thursday.
Ah!!! Thank you. I had never heard of ice fog before, but thought it looked like some sort of weather phenomenon so that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

― B. Lee

Old 01-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #3668

Ice fog can make some really neat displays at night. Where ever there is a light a column will form above it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0932.jpg (196.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg pillars_tape_big.jpg (91.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #3669
Administrator

Quote:
Ice fog can make some really neat displays at night. Where ever there is a light a column will form above it.
WOW!!!!! That's amazing! If I ever saw that, I'd think I was hallucinating.

All that, and you get Northern Lights, too. So many different light shows in the sky up there.

― B. Lee

Old 01-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #3670
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
WOW!!!!! That's amazing! If I ever saw that, I'd think I was hallucinating.

All that, and you get Northern Lights, too. So many different light shows in the sky up there.
Hey, W2R, maybe you and Frank should consider a trip north! That Toyota Venza would like a workout too!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #3671
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Hey, W2R, maybe you and Frank should consider a trip north! That Toyota Venza would like a workout too!
The nice thing about photos, is that I don't have to experience sub zero temperatures to see the light show.

I know, I know, experiences are better than things but I think this is one experience I wouldn't mind skipping. Brrrrrrrr!

― B. Lee

Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #3672
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The nice thing about photos, is that I don't have to experience sub zero temperatures to see the light show.

I know, I know, experiences are better than things but I think this is one experience I wouldn't mind skipping. Brrrrrrrr!
I understand. I used to live north of Nodak, where Music Lover lives now. I moved because I didn't want to deal with the winters any more after over 20 years. They are extreme but strangely beautiful. I'm glad I had the experience.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #3673

Quote:

That's quite alright, I'll take the cold over hurricanes any day. I've never spent a winter south of Minneapolis so I'm used to it.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #3674

Here's a sample of ND northern lights. If you're far enough out away from traffic and towns you can hear them buzz and crackle.
Northern Lights / Aurora Borealis Photographs & Stories
Old 01-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #3675

Quote:
Second coldest day of the winter so far. 13 below zero with a 13 mph wind for a windchill of -35. Supposed to hit -26 tonight and tomorrow night no forecast yet on wind.
Almost gives me fond memories of Purdhoe bay, minus the tree. Or Fairbanks. Mercifully the Aleutians were not nearly as cold.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #3676
Administrator

Quote:
That's quite alright, I'll take the cold over hurricanes any day. I've never spent a winter south of Minneapolis so I'm used to it.
I hope you didn't take offense! I don't mean it as "dissing" northern climates. I just have not lived north of Virginia in fifty years, so the cold would be very challenging for me to deal with.

And yes, I wouldn't want you to come here during the time of a hurricane impact, either. It's not nice.

― B. Lee

Old 01-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #3677

Quote:
I hope you didn't take offense! I don't mean it as "dissing" northern climates. I just have not lived north of Virginia in fifty years, so the cold would be very challenging for me to deal with.

And yes, I wouldn't want you to come here during the time of a hurricane impact, either. It's not nice.
No offense taken at all.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #3678
Administrator

Quote:
Here's a sample of ND northern lights. If you're far enough out away from traffic and towns you can hear them buzz and crackle.
Northern Lights / Aurora Borealis Photographs & Stories
Beautiful photos!

I did see the northern lights once, and only once - - in Vermont, in 1958. Unforgettable, even though I was only 10 years old at the time.

― B. Lee

Old 01-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #3679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I understand. I used to live north of Nodak, where Music Lover lives now. I moved because I didn't want to deal with the winters any more after over 20 years. They are extreme but strangely beautiful. I'm glad I had the experience.
Not sure exactly where you are, but I looked up Kelowna, and it is indeed relatively balmy compared to Cavalier, ND, or Winnipeg.

Posting this while the outside is 60F (16C).
Old 01-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #3680

Years ago there was a TV newsman that toured the country in a motor home and reported on it, his name escapes me now. He was in North Dakota in the winter and wrote a line I really think is so true: "In North Dakota the weather is a joke that keeps people together."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1507861_1564265120472483_4720481879633231584_n.jpg (100.7 KB, 17 views)