This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now we have the LOUDEST thunder ever! Wow. And lightning everywhere, and the rains are as torrential as the worst of a tropical storm. After lunch we came straight home because flooding seemed imminent (our houses have never flooded, so I feel pretty safe from that here at home). We could hardly see the street even driving 5 mph. I would have expected this back when we took that near miss from Hurricane Laura, but the storms then weren't this severe. There's no reason for this to be happening now. :LOL:

Wunderground dot com says the storm will end in three minutes (it's been going on for 2-3 hours so far). We'll see.

Edit: They might be right. All of a sudden it is ending.

Remember, the weather services NEVER make mistakes :rolleyes:
:LOL: That's because everything about science, including meteorology, has already been discovered, right? :LOL:

The storm seems to be gone. Pretty amazing while it lasted.

The heat this summer has been brutal, even though we did not set new record highs. It's that the average temperature has been higher. The heat is sustained longer. Even at night, right before sunrise when the temperature is the lowest of the 24-hour period, it could be 90+F. At midnight, the temperature has often been 100+F. Holy cow!

Earlier this week, it was published that Phoenix has had 50 days of 110+F this summer. The previous record was 33 days. And by the time the summer is over, the count may get higher than 60 days, as we already added 1 day yesterday, plus today and tomorrow too.

It looks bleak in California too, as I saw that the expected high tomorrow in Woodland Hills and the vicinity like Thousand Oaks will get to 118F. California is bracing for another possible brownout due to inadequate electric supply.

I would die in 118F without AC. When younger, I was able to shake it off, but I am old and weak now. Just being outside in 110F temperature and in the shade, I would start to sweat profusely after 30 minutes. And that's dry heat. Add some humidity, and I would melt into a blob on the ground.

This is bad! I am glad I have my solar power storage built up so I can survive a power outage and still have AC. And good thing we still have the Palo Verde nuclear plant.

Last edited:
We have had a warmer than usual summer and little moisture. Still in the high 80's, 90's, unusual for this time of year. At least it has been cooling down after midnight.

I would die in 118F without AC. When younger, I was able to shake it off, but I am old and weak now. Just being outside in 110F temperature and in the shade, I would start to sweat profusely after 30 minutes. And that's dry heat. Add some humidity, and I would melt into a blob on the ground.

That is probably literally true, that you would die in 118F without AC! As we grow older, it becomes harder for our bodies to deal with extreme temperatures like that.

It gets hot here in New Orleans, but if I didn't have AC or heat I think I would still survive (just barely though). I spent the summer of 2016 with no AC because I am a cheapskate, until I finally had my AC system replaced for $7,200 on September 9th, 2016.

I could have made it until 2017 without undue trouble, but while sitting in the heat one afternoon I had a lightbulb moment and thought: "For Pete's sake, what's money FOR?" :LOL: So I called the AC repair people.

BTW, my new AC system has been heavenly. :)

Another effect of the hot weather that we have seen: our garden plants are dying off, despite my wife's watering and pampering. Her beloved passion fruit vine wilted and died. Several other plants and vines also gave up the ghost. The okra plants still stand erect (they are tough!), but drop their pods. Some of the hot pepper plants survive, but stop flowering.

We have never seen the above. And our experience is not unique, as my sister-in-law said that all of the plants in her garden died off. Even her ornamental succulents were gone. And she said her friends reported the same thing.

BLEAK!

We are getting off easy with a projected high of only 111F. If there is a power outage, our only backup will be the evaporative cooler running off a generator. At least we won't die.
Think of the poor animals that have no place to hide - During these heat waves, I have seen tree squirrels take the risk of coming down to ground level, dig out some soil then splay out belly to earth in an attempt to offload excess body heat. Other animals just die.
This guy has the right idea..........

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...-spends-25-hours-in-box-filled-with-ice-cubes

Another effect of the hot weather that we have seen: our garden plants are dying off, despite my wife's watering and pampering. Her beloved passion fruit vine wilted and died. Several other plants and vines also gave up the ghost. The okra plants still stand erect (they are tough!), but drop their pods. Some of the hot pepper plants survive, but stop flowering.

We have never seen the above. And our experience is not unique, as my sister-in-law said that all of the plants in her garden died off. Even her ornamental succulents were gone. And she said her friends reported the same thing.

BLEAK!

Our garden in Florida has been doing well despite the 90+ daily highs with humidity, just due to the rain we get almost every day.
So far so good.

Our garden in Florida has been doing well despite the 90+ daily highs with humidity, just due to the rain we get almost every day.
So far so good.

90F temperature for plants is nothing. And high humidity, while tough for animals, is excellent for plants as they do not lose moisture via evaporation through their leaves.

I just remember another thing. I have a ficus tree in a large pot, in the covered front entryway to the home. I have had this 7' tree for at least 30 years. It has been in the shade but exposed to the exterior tempearature, and at the same spot all these years. Just recently, its leaves turned all yellow. There's been no change in how we take care of it. It must be the heat this year that does that.

That is probably literally true, that you would die in 118F without AC! As we grow older, it becomes harder for our bodies to deal with extreme temperatures like that...

I just recall a news story here in Phoenix about 30 years ago. A woman sunbathing at a swimming pool of an apartment complex was found dead. It appeared that she had been consuming alcohol, then fell asleep on a lounge chair by the pool. She was out in the sun all afternoon, and when people observed that she was not moving by the evening, approached her to wake her up, and found that she had died by getting "cooked" by the heat.

Last edited:
I just recall a news story here in Phoenix about 30 years ago. A woman sunbathing at a swimming pool of an apartment complex was found dead. It appeared that she had been consuming alcohol, then fell asleep on a lounge chair by the pool. She was out in the sun all afternoon, and when people observed that she was not moving by the evening, approached her to wake her up, and found that she had died by getting "cooked" by the heat.

Wow! That's gruesome. Makes me glad I don't drink anything alcoholic.

Reminds me of a story from back when I lived in Hawaii. There, tourists would not realize how dangerous the sun could be. They would fall asleep on the beach and the sunburns they got were so bad sometimes they had to be hospitalized briefly. I don't think any of them died, though!

It'll be good when the fires stop burning and we can see the hills again.

Has been incredibly wet here. August is usually dry with the odd thunderstorm but this year we had 10 days with a half-inch of rain or more. 4 days with an inch or more and two with more than 2 inches. (I know doesn't sound like much to those in hurricane areas but for us it is a ton!) Standing water in many of the farmers' fields and low areas. Difficult to go out for a walk even when sunny and breezy due to mosquitoes which are never an issue here. Lake Huron-Michigan up over 5 feet in the last 5 years - someone needs to turn off the tap!

It looks bleak in California too, as I saw that the expected high tomorrow in Woodland Hills and the vicinity like Thousand Oaks will get to 118F. California is bracing for another possible brownout due to inadequate electric supply.

In all the years I lived in T.O. it never got that hot. I don't even remember 100 F and that was even during the Santa Ana hot wind season. :eek:

Snow inbound; we are on the cusp of a 30 degree temperature drop over the next two to three hours

Alas, living at about two miles of elevation.

Fall will be over soon, or maybe it already is.

It'll be good when the fires stop burning and we can see the hills again.

Wow! We have friends in NorCal and have thought about visiting them to escape the searing heat of SE Arizona in July-Aug. Some are blanketed in smoke. Sure AZ burns too, but doesn't seem as bad as CA. The upside to living where it's REALLY hot is that the desert doesn't seem to have the trees and grass that like to burn.

Snow inbound; we are on the cusp of a 30 degree temperature drop over the next two to three hours

Alas, living at about two miles of elevation.

Fall will be over soon, or maybe it already is.

That's a short summer! It's 102F here in SE AZ, and we're enjoying the "cool" spell. Was 111F last week, hotter still in Phoenix!

I just did a spotcheck on the wunderground.com site for conditions in Thousand Oaks. I saw that one station reported 117F high yesterday, and another one reported 122F.

Their misery was short-lived, thanks goodness, as their high today is merely 102F or so.

Meanwhile, my location got to 111F yesterday, and 107F today. That's not too bad. :)

Last edited:
Woke up to this.20200909_064103.jpeg

This happened yesterday here in the Colorado mountains:

Attachments

• IMG_20200908_172900662_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200908_172900662_HDR.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 20
Has been incredibly wet here. August is usually dry with the odd thunderstorm but this year we had 10 days with a half-inch of rain or more. 4 days with an inch or more and two with more than 2 inches. (I know doesn't sound like much to those in hurricane areas but for us it is a ton!) Standing water in many of the farmers' fields and low areas. Difficult to go out for a walk even when sunny and breezy due to mosquitoes which are never an issue here. Lake Huron-Michigan up over 5 feet in the last 5 years - someone needs to turn off the tap!

Same thing here in northern Michigan. Rain, rain, rain since early June, every couple days, and some very heavy rainfall events (one up to 6"!). Several 2-4" rainfall events, and lots of 1" rainfall events. Roads are washed out, lake and stream levels are at record highs, and my basement is getting wet also. It can STOP anytime!

We could use some of that rain in the West! Dang fires :-(

I feel like whining about weather.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday I was hanging out on my boat swimming and sipping beer in Minnesota. Upper 70s and sunny.

Yesterday and today our high is in the low 50s, cold northwestern wind, rainy and cloudy. Ugh. The drastic change makes if feel like late October.

There is nicer weather in the forecast for next week, so we are not going directly into winter.

JP

I feel like whining about weather.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday I was hanging out on my boat swimming and sipping beer in Minnesota. Upper 70s and sunny.

Yesterday and today our high is in the low 50s, cold northwestern wind, rainy and cloudy. Ugh. The drastic change makes if feel like late October.

There is nicer weather in the forecast for next week, so we are not going directly into winter.

JP

That is the saving grace. If we can hold off on that dreaded four letter word until after October, its a good fall in the North.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom