Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #861
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When it comes to decibel levels, none of those aircraft could hold a bloody eardrum to the old F-4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I used to caddy for my dad at a golf course near MCAS El Toro, and the F-4s pretty much took the fun out of golf. I don't know why we dropped any ordnance in Vietnam. If we'd just dedicated 3 weeks to flying F-4s around at 500 feet and 150 knots with the landing gear, slats, flaps, aux tanks, gun pods, a half dozen SNAKEYE, and maybe a RAT hanging out in the breeze, I'm pretty sure Uncle Ho and everyone else would have thrown in the towel from all the gawdawful screaming noise.
Of course, we wouldn't have been able to see 'em waving the white flags through all the smoke . . .
One of my shipmates is an F-4 RIO, for whom neither the billet nor the Vietnam War will ever end. I must've instinctively blocked out thinking about that airframe.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #862
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's that time of year. I'm monitoring the radar to determine if I need to leave for w*rk early to avoid the highway with sn*w and freezing rain coming this afternoon and evening. I broke out the winter jacket, hat, and gloves.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #863
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This weather is unbelievable. Rain again today and 60% chance most of the week. The last 6 weeks has been wet wet wet. Golf game going to hell.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #864
Give me a forum ...

It's official...NWS radio just used the "S" word for Friday's extended forecast.
30% chance of Rain and S...Sn... Showers.
I can't even type it all out!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #865
Give me a forum ...

Soppy wet here too and I wanted to be the 4th frown smilie.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #866
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Soppy wet here too and I wanted to be the 4th frown smilie.
There!! I ruined the streak.

It is 85 and a little rainy here today. Could be a whole lot worse.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #867

50 and cloudy/rainy the last few days. I froze my *ss off boating Sunday.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #868
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Luckily the sn*w stayed about 100 miles north of me but I did just get done scrapping off the freezing rain that froze to my windshield while I was at w*rk.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #869
Recycles dryer sheets

Geesssh last year i thought I would never see the color green again and after what seems like a month of rain I think I will take a day off and build an ark...
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #870
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
It is 85 and a little rainy here today. Could be a whole lot worse.
Turned out it WAS a whole lot worse, just a couple of miles east of me where it rained 3+ inches in an hour yesterday and flooded low lying areas like underpasses, requiring police and others to rescue those who got trapped in the rising water. But, it never did rain that heavily at my house.

Today is a repeat of yesterday. Luckily I have no reason to leave home since I am off this week.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #871
Give me a forum ...

53 degrees ....it's rainin' like pourin' pee pee out of a boot! I think I'm gonna float away...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #872
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... no reason to leave home since I am off this week.
fourteen days. tick tick tick tick. Married off your daughter, stayed home last week. Looks to me like someone is clearing the decks....
Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #873
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
fourteen days. tick tick tick tick. Married off your daughter, stayed home last week. Looks to me like someone is clearing the decks....
Now that my daughter has been a happily married lady for two whole days (!!!) I do feel like I am clearing the decks!

I needed the time off prior to that, to adjust mentally to the idea of her marriage since my daughter and I have been unusually close. Taking time off to wrap my mind around it worked. Now, I do truly feel that I gained a son, instead of losing my daughter. Now, I can relax and be happy for them, and turn my mind towards my impending retirement.

I will go back to work on Wednesday. It is our yearly "employee appreciation day", so I can go in late and just work 2-3 hours. Good planning, huh? I will work from then straight through to my ER day, a total of 7 more work days. Mostly I will be doing my exit clearance and saying my goodbyes.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #874
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"employee appreciation day"
Oxymoron?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #875
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514
If you really want bad weather..you should live in Wisconsin...the weather here sucks all the time..
that is why we lead the US in binge drinking and amount of breweries ...you have to stay blasted most of the time
just to live here....bottoms up
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #876
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514 View Post
If you really want bad weather..you should live in Wisconsin...the weather here sucks all the time.
...bottoms up
Heh, heh, heh, BTDT.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #877

Not too many weeks ago we were hitting 100 just about every day. Suddenly a cold front comes through and it's 38 when I woke up this morning...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #878

Same thing. 100 last week, projected to be 85 today and 40 tomorrow morning. However, since it is only 72, I doubt we will make it that high. Fire watch because of the high winds and 5% humidity.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #879
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations W2R!!!

I wish them well.

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #880
Moderator Emeritus

Well, fall's over.

It's only the third of November (when the weather typically turns rainy) and already we've had three Nov days when it rained for more than a hour. So far this morning has been nine hours of rain.

Last night at taekwondo, the dojang was actually a bit cool (until we started the class). I drove the car home afterward without turning on the air conditioner. Our solar water heater, which usually ends the day at 150 degrees, was barely above 130. When I got up this morning it was a bitter-cold 72 degrees.

Today I'll probably shift from tank tops to short-sleeve t-shirts. I'll also have to check my emergency supply of long-sleeve t-shirts (both of them), jeans (one pair), and socks (five-- maybe even six-- pair). Tomorrow we'll try to find the hot chocolate mix.

We'll spend the rest of the week winterizing the home: searching for all the open windows, marking their location on the house plans for quick reference, and making sure that we know how to close them...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote