Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #1881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
It's 79F right now in my kitchen, but the 24 hour low was 72F. It's mid afternoon of a beautiful sunny day here in Hawaii.
Possible nasty wintery weather here in the DC area next week. I think I'd like to move to Hawaii, Florida, or Southern Cali right about now. Really. Geez. I'm getting too old for this sh!t. This sucks
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #1882
Give me a forum ...

Unbelievably nice today, sunny and 74. Went to the club to hit some practice balls and the course was packed. Made the mistake of hitting a demo iron my pro has been after me to try and it sure hit sweet. Ended up ordering a set from him. Damn nice weather cost me money! Later, I took the mutt for a walk at the reservoir. I saw people fishing, boating, jogging and lot's of picnic's. But with warm weather comes rain the next couple of days.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #1883

Sigh. Low 18 F tonight, after that rain/snow, then snow, then rain/snow, and after that more rain/snow.

Now I remember why my original Retirement Plan was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what it was.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #1884
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sigh. Low 18 F tonight, after that rain/snow, then snow, then rain/snow, and after that more rain/snow.

Now I remember why my original Retirement Plan was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what it was.
At one time that was sort of my plan also. Just go south until someone thought the block heater cord hanging out of the grill of my car meant the car was electric. It's -20 now.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #1885
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It is 34 below back home right now.

Oddly, it is 34 above where I am right how in Texas.
Where are you?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #1886
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Where are you?
I am over in Port Aransas. I hear your state park is open so I might eventually head down there, though it is mighty nice where I am.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #1887
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
though it is mighty nice where I am.
Except for?

Wahoo!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #1888
Give me a forum ...

Forecast high for today was mid 20s, now 36F.

Aint seen the sunshine since I don't know when...

But its all right now learn't my lesson well.

Passed time this morning by playing game tug of war with Charley the cat.

Supposedly big snow mess coming around midweek. DW is off to stock up on coffee, vino. Heh heh, all the essentials. Soon checking out the generator for potential power outage.

Edit add: DW back, no vino. We both forgot it was Sunday. tomorrow better luck at the state owned booze store.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #1889

This Afternoon: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -10. Wind chill values as low as -31. North wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -16. Wind chill values as low as -31. North northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near -3. Wind chill values as low as -30. North northwest wind between 5 and 9 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -21. Wind chill values as low as -40. North northwest wind around 9 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near -3. West northwest wind around 9 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -16.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 8.

Looks like the impending storm is going to miss us. However, the very strong high pressure cold air mass that's hanging out here will be a major cause of the storm. Warm wet gulf air is going to mix with our cold dry air and dump on a good portion of the country.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #1890
Give me a forum ...

It's minus 30 degrees C (-22 F) outside. With windchill, -45 C (-45 F).

Did I mention I'm moving?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #1891
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It's minus 30 degrees C (-22 F) outside. With windchill, -45 C (-45 F).

Did I mention I'm moving?
Not today, I'll bet.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #1892

Beautiful day here in Central Florida.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #1893
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful day here in Northern Illinois at 25 degrees and sunny. Waiting for the 18" of snow (maybe thundersnow), 50 mph winds, and 8-10 foot drifts that are supposed to begin tomorrow, followed by a nice cold snap.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #1894
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Beautiful day here in Northern Illinois at 25 degrees and sunny. Waiting for the 18" of snow (maybe thundersnow), 50 mph winds, and 8-10 foot drifts that are supposed to begin tomorrow, followed by a nice cold snap.
I am due for this Tuesday night and Wednesday. Can we go back to Alberta clippers?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #1895
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Forecast for tonight and tomorrow in SW Ohio: sleet/snow/freezing rain.
Ran errands today.
I hate ice.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #1896
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Forecast for tonight and tomorrow in SW Ohio: sleet/snow/freezing rain.
Ran errands today.
I hate ice.
Me too.
There USED to be some serious icicles hanging down from the gutter line along the back of my house. The longest icicle was approx 4 feet long, 4 inches wide.

I use a long flexible 1" PVC conduit pipe to knock them off (FROM THE SIDE NOT BELOW) so the weight of the entire ice dam doesn't bend the gutters. I can reach the icicles from the open walkway around my screened in porch. I also push some snowpack off to allow the sun to melt the ice directly. My algorithm w*rks!

I have heater wires along the edge of the roof to prevent melting water from the ice dams from leaking into the kitchen (edge of window at far right side of the pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg icegutters2011.jpg (32.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #1897

We are getting a tropical flow with moisture, and the tail end of the cold from the north. After almost a month of 60-70's we are getting winter.

Forecast for Eastern Cochise County below 5000 feet
Area Forecast For:
Issued: January 31, 2011 14:07:12 MST

Tonight: Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers. Snow level 4500 feet. Little or no snow accumulation.

Tuesday: Breezy. Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of showers. No snow accumulation. Highs 52 to 57. West wind 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of snow showers. Cooler. No snow accumulation. Highs 36 to 44.

Thursday: Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of snow showers. Highs 35 to 41.

Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs 45 to 50.

Friday night through Monday: Mostly clear. Highs 45 to 58.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #1898
Give me a forum ...

Ruh roh....the bolded text is never good news at this latitude.

from the NWS report for Binghamton NY...
WINTER STORM WARNING
* LOCATIONS: NORTH CENTRAL NEW YORK...THE UPPER FINGER
LAKES...WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY AND SOUTHERN TUG HILL PLATEAU.
* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS: 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY. 10 TO 15 INCHES OF SNOW TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.
* TIMING: LIGHT SNOW WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION LATE TONIGHT...AND TAPER OFF TUESDAY AFTERNOON. ANOTHER ROUND OF MUCH HEAVIER SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY...BEFORE TAPERING OFF LATE IN THE DAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY MORNING.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #1899
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ruh roh....the bolded text is never good news at this latitude. ............
Same forecast here. I'll report out if it is really as bad as predicted.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #1900
Moderator Emeritus

Our forecast for tomorrow:

Quote:
Areas of dense fog in the morning. Numerous rain showers and scattered thunderstorms in the morning...then widespread rain showers and scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe with gusty winds and large hail in the afternoon. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph shifting to the southwest 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
I almost feel guilty about those temperatures compared with what some of you are expecting.

But, overall, sounds like we have a rainy day ahead - - perhaps a great day for us to spend a cozy afternoon together at home.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread