This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay safe, everyone!

I think we are just far enough south to escape the bad weather. It rained hard earlier, and temperatures are supposed to go from today's high of 70 down to almost freezing. But it won't freeze here this week, and rain doesn't need to be shoveled, so I think we're pretty lucky. Hope all of you in the path of the storm stay warm and take care.

Aren't you glad you're not in Springfield yet:)

Aren't you glad you're not in Springfield yet:)

So true - - I've been giving that some serious thought lately! More on that topic in a few days.

But it sometimes has to be dammed. :eek:

The rain here just ran off into the canals, and didn't get dammed (or even d***ned) since we were having fun driving around in it. We even found a parking place adjacent to the door at our favorite restaurant. I wore my pretty rain jacket but it didn't even get wet.

Last edited:
The good times have arrived here in the Chicago suburbs. Our town has already declared disaster status (whatever that means). Schools and businesses have already announced closure for tomorrow.

This afternoon it was calm and we had a fresh dusting of powder. At 7:00 PM I opened the back door to toss a bag of kitchen garbage into the trash can I had cleverly placed nearby for the winter and was greeted with heavy snow, drifts and strong wind. Our house is quite tight and you can be unaware of conditions outside if you don't go look. I had no idea things had changed so quickly.........

Went to the grocery yesterday and stocked up with fresh fruit and veggies, nice snacks and treats and plenty of beer, wine and booze. No sense suffering if you're going to be stuck inside for a couple of days.

The wood stove is going, DW is sipping a glass of port and the house is slowly vanishing under a snow drift.

The good times have arrived here in the Chicago suburbs. Our town has already declared disaster status (whatever that means). Schools and businesses have already announced closure for tomorrow.

Do you have a link for a outdoor camera in the Chicago area? I'd like to see how bad it is.

Do you have a link for a outdoor camera in the Chicago area? I'd like to see how bad it is.

No I don't. Since I just look out the window I hadn't thought of checking for one of those live camera sites.......

I never made it down the driveway to the mail box today but I think the mailman did get here before the storm hit. Maybe I'll tie a rope around my waist and ask DW to hold the other end. Wait...... DW has already hit the wine pretty hard. How do I know she won't shut and lock the door instead of pulling me back in...... ?

Screw the mail.

Too bad I don't leave for Florida until monday.

Well here is some good news . Weather has been nice in Florida the last few days . High 70's ! In fact last night we were at a restaurant on the water at 5 Pm to 7:30 Pm and sat outside . Bring a light jacket or sweat shirt and enjoy the break .

Well here is some good news . Weather has been nice in Florida the last few days . High 70's ! In fact last night we were at a restaurant on the water at 5 Pm to 7:30 Pm and sat outside . Bring a light jacket or sweat shirt and enjoy the break .

Thanks for that update Moemg! What a relief! We've been so worried about you folks thinking maybe you were having to wear more than a light jacket or sweat shirt........ ;)

I have a hooded sweatshirt with me every day of the year. Although i'm going to be mostly near Orlando, I plan to spend several days in your general area. Maybe we can meet-up.

Stay safe, everyone!

I think we are just far enough south to escape the bad weather. It rained hard earlier, and temperatures are supposed to go from today's high of 70 down to almost freezing. But it won't freeze here this week, and rain doesn't need to be shoveled, so I think we're pretty lucky. Hope all of you in the path of the storm stay warm and take care.
Actually - it's that you are far east enough. The jet stream is doing this, and it's not dipping down in the eastern US as far as it is in the central.

ZtnXP.jpg

Oh, it's OK! Whether it is the incontinence of management, the cook, or the wait staff, I will dine elsewhere. Thank you for letting me know.

Actually - it's that you are far east enough. The jet stream is doing this, and it's not dipping down in the eastern US as far as it is in the central.

Obviously the effect is somewhat diagona at presentl, and at 90W longitude we are far enough south.... :rolleyes: And from what you said, at your longitude you are not. On the other hand, I don't think the fact that if I was east of aaron, for example, that I would be this fortunate. (I didn't think my post was that complicated to understand, sorry).

Last edited:
Thanks for that update Moemg! What a relief! We've been so worried about you folks thinking maybe you were having to wear more than a light jacket or sweat shirt........ ;)

Thanks ! I even had to wear socks this winter and occasionally a long sleeved shirt but I am handling it well .:)

Obviously the effect is somewhat diagona at presentl, and at 90W longitude we are far enough south.... :rolleyes: And from what you said, at your longitude you are not. On the other hand, I don't think the fact that if I was east of aaron, for example, that I would be this fortunate. (I didn't think my post was that complicated to understand, sorry).

Ask freebird wednesday morning if being east of me is good:nonono:

Aaron, we're doing our best in Chicago to use up all the snow in this storm before it gets to you, but I don't think it's going to work--there's a boatload still coming your way! Weird because the storm is coming from the south-southwest but the winds are coming straight off Lake Michigan to the east.

Texans On Ice... North Texas Chapter... believe me, that is one show you DON'T want to experience!

Monday night about midnight it was 50 degrees, looked out the window and saw two Armadillos playing and hunting for food. By 4 AM it was sleeting, by 6 AM schools were called off, some megacorps closed for the day, most governmental offices not to open. By 9 AM it was down to 18 degrees.

We got about an inch of ice, but it mostly fell as rain then froze, or fell as sleet. At least it wasn't freezing rain, that pulls down trees onto powerlines. So no power problems, at least. Sounds like mostly everything to be closed Wednesday, too. What little melted this afternoon refroze super-slick. Temp is now 11 degrees, will be single-digits for the next few nights, first single-digit temps in at least 15 years. Not supposed to get up to 32 till Friday, possibly some more snow then.

Hard to believe it was in the 60's Saturday, and the 70's Sunday morning.

It's about 2:00 AM local time. I just crawled out of the sack and took a peek out the bedroom window. There is now snow covering the picnic table on the patio. This is a drift, it's not that deep everywhere in the yard. But the wind and steady snow fall is really making some humongous piles.

I'm glad we have no where to go tomorrow. And more so that DS and DIL, and the 3 grandkids, will be staying home as well. Just clearing the driveway down to the street is going to be a big project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom