This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss any other charms of Chicago and Illinois? :confused:

Good summary, but you forgot that we have the highest gas prices in the country!

Chicago’s Gas Prices Highest In Nation | theexpiredmeter.com

While going to get gas for my ATV/plow, I got my truck stuck in the driveway. Took me 8 hours to get the truck unstuck and plow. Still haven't done the sidewalks.

IMG_4518.jpg

That is some snow you guys got. I was a bit under a foot. My biggest problem was dropping the tractor's front wheels in a ditch and not being able to get it out.

I was in college during the 66 blizzard; it lasted three days here. After the storm ended there was a 22 foot deep two block long drift outside the dorm. The drift had about 24 cars under it; somewhere I have some pictures and will try to find and post them. During the 78-79 winter it went below zero a couple days after Thanksgiving and never made it back above until almost the end of February.

Last edited:
Wow all this lovely white stuff, plus the best government that money can buy, a quarterback who plays through pain, an ocean of red ink, and you Land of Lincoln folks want to point out that weather could be even worse.

We don't have chiggers, scorpions.... and we look kindly on Yankees.

I was in college during the 66 blizzard; it lasted three days here. After the storm ended there was a 22 foot deep two block long drift outside the dorm. The drift had about 24 cars under it; somewhere I have some pictures and will try to find and post them. During the 78-79 winter it went below zero a couple days after Thanksgiving and never made it back above until almost the end of February.

This is the one I remember as an 8 year old. I was living downstate near NYC, not upstate. We got the nor'easter that started the entire mess. Our small town only had 3 medium size plow trucks at the time. :nonono:

North American blizzard of 1966 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And then there was this one...I was upstate (east of Syracuse) for this doozy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1993

Wow! Looks like most of LA is covered in ice this morning. Not NO though. How are things at your place W2R?

Audrey

Wow all this lovely white stuff, plus the best government that money can buy, a quarterback who plays through pain, an ocean of red ink, and you Land of Lincoln folks want to point out that weather could be even worse.

But the white stuff is charming! Isn't it pretty? We had a lot of fun out there yesterday, and I plan to go out skiing today. I realized that this snow is a "great equalizer" - everyones yard looks like a picture postcard, no worries about the grass needing to be cut, dandelions, or anything. It's beautiful.

C'mon, you know you're just jealous. Those palm tree and beaches get boring after a while, right?

-ERD50

I feel a bit guilty about our beautiful weather of late...while the Midwest/Northeast are in a deep freeze.

I admire your toughness. The only thing between you and the North Pole are fences:(. Yea, just hang in there.

Remember us in California this summer when we have our 100+ temps for two weeks at a time!

Our Hawaii-born-and-raised daughter commented the other day:
Thank you Houston for giving me the coldest day of my life (20-30 Fahrenheit all day).

Our blizzard in 1966 happened on 2 March. Here are some pics of the digging out process. The one of the guys standing on the snow was taken from the third story dorm window. As you can see there is bare ground visible in the distance the wind piled up the 22 foot deep drift on the north side of the building.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 0
I hate winter. 28 right now and sleeting. I bet all the northern birds that flew south for the winter are pissed.

Our blizzard in 1966 happened on 2 March. Here are some pics of the digging out process. The one of the guys standing on the snow was taken from the third story dorm window. As you can see there is bare ground visible in the distance the wind piled up the 22 foot deep drift on the north side of the building.
:blink:
I looked up your location in your profile. Were these pics taken in ND?

Impressive! thanks for posting.

The water lines to the house are frozen. We only don't bury our utilities very deep around here.

I think my well head is frozen. I let a faucet run last night, and when I got up there was water splashed all over the sink.

I think the pressure tank drained and when it emptied, the pressure blew water over everything.

The well pump power is off for now.

We have a 300 gal drinking water tank, to hold us over until the thaw. Of course I had to thaw out the valve on the tank before I could get water.

12 in the afternoon and still not above freezing. It was 0.1 degree on the digital, I don't know if it shows minus. Never thought I would need that feature.

I was in college in Oneonta NY (out of reach of the worst of this TG) when this happened. My Mom saved the letters I wrote to her about feeling like I was trapped near the Arctic Circle. ;)

Welcome to H*ll in western NY and parts of Canada.

Blizzard of 1977 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lets see I started Friday of the storm in Mississauga where i lived at the time and went northeast of Toronto near Uxbridge. it was snowing hard but I was young. Early afternoon I returned to Mississauga and hunkered down. Late evening I noticed the snow had stopped and decided to visit my father and some friends who lived on the north shore of lake Erie. You can see where this is going. So I set out in my trusty 69 Fury 383 and reached Hamilton where it was snowing hard still. I passed many stalled and ditched cars but that thing was a tank and real good in snow. The road was closed at Caledonia south of Hamilton but a snowplow came and they let some follow it. Eventually I got to the side road where my father lived and turned down it. Five miles of driving on the wrong side of the road because the drifts were smaller I arrived, lined the car up across the road and aimed for the driveway. I got in two car lengths and walked the rest of the 500 feet. No one was home. My father got stuck in his way from work and stayed at my aunts. He worked about 15 miles away. A friend who lived close by had slept at work and did not make the five miles till Sunday. I was stuck till Tuesday. I wish I was that fearless again.
I could do without the aches and pains too.

YouTube - The Great Blizzard of 1977

Not so. That Tinkers to Evans to Chance combo was pretty good. And Ernie Banks. And Three Fingers Brown.

The water lines to the house are frozen. We only don't bury our utilities very deep around here.

I think my well head is frozen. I let a faucet run last night, and when I got up there was water splashed all over the sink.

I think the pressure tank drained and when it emptied, the pressure blew water over everything.

The well pump power is off for now.

We have a 300 gal drinking water tank, to hold us over until the thaw. Of course I had to thaw out the valve on the tank before I could get water.

12 in the afternoon and still not above freezing. It was 0.1 degree on the digital, I don't know if it shows minus. Never thought I would need that feature.
Yeah, but how are your hummingbirds doing? :angel:

Audrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom