This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rain gauge shows we got 4 inches of rain last night. Our lakes have been full for about a month now. Methinks the birdies will have to grow gills...

It rained last night. This morning it turned into snow and snowed pretty heavily for about an hour. It didn't stick to the roads, but they are pretty muddy now. The good news is there is a prediction of one day of sun in the next ten.

I'm starting to think of moving to Seattle where the weather might be a little nicer!

Snow again this morning. Squeegeed an inch of slush and snow off the floor of the house again. It started snowing again and has been off and on since. Just had a nice little snow shower with great big, fluffy flakes at 2:00 in the afternoon. It shouldn't be doing this on May 19th. :peace:

The snow has stopped and I see patches of blue sky. Who knows? I may see some sunshine today after all. :clap::clap:

This morning it was only 29 degrees at our house. The early garden and flowering trees are now frozen brown and toast. Sometimes it just does not pay to plant early here in North Dakota.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Some of the churches in the metroplex have billboards up that say, "For those who have been praying for rain, please stop"

This spring has been cooler and wetter than usual in New Mexico. More rain today. The weatherman says we may not even have a fire season this year. Yippee!! :dance:

Great! Your rain comes down here and fills our lakes!

Yes, North Texas has been hammered with tornadoes, hail, straight line winds, and torrential never ending rains. Forecast shows rain everyday for the next week or more. I've never seen anything like this since we came to Texas in 1993.

We got here in 1981, and IIRC we had some flooding, but nothing like this. Woke up this a.m. to lots of rain; some parts of DFW flooding, and the temp in the mid 50s. But, hey, unlike in 1981, I don't have to drive to w*rk today or any day.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We got here in 1981, and IIRC we had some flooding, but nothing like this. Woke up this a.m. to lots of rain; some parts of DFW flooding, and the temp in the mid 50s. But, hey, unlike in 1981, I don't have to drive to w*rk today or any day.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Flooding pic from North Ft Worth, Hwy 114 just west of racetrack

Attachments

• flooding pic.jpg
    flooding pic.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 10
The rain and floods we're experiencing are having a huge impact on our local lake. It has gone up 27 feet in the past two days and is still climbing almost a foot an hour!

That is mind-boggling as this isn't a small lake - it has a surface area over 5,500 acres and holds 327,000 acre feet (106,553,417,143 gallons) of water.

Attachments

• LakesOnline_LakeLevel (2).png
    LakesOnline_LakeLevel (2).png
    34 KB · Views: 6
The rain and floods we're experiencing are having a huge impact on our local lake. It has gone up 27 feet in the past two days and is still climbing almost a foot an hour!

That is mind-boggling as this isn't a small lake - it has a surface area over 5,500 acres and holds 327,000 acre feet (106,553,417,143 gallons) of water.

I wish my portfolio would go up like that! Oh, I guess this is the end of the drought conditions in central Texas.

Us fish in Houston are not turning on our sprinkler systems this year, from what it looks like.

Wow....that's wonderful news REWahoo! :dance:
+1, especially given how little water that region has had over the past decade. Are the wells people use for residential water also filling?

I wish my portfolio would go up like that! Oh, I guess this is the end of the drought conditions in central Texas.

The drought update for last tuesday shows that for the first time since 2011 no part if texas is in extreme or exceptional drought. Further 70% of Tx is not in drought at all. compared with 10% a year ago. It is the way it works in Tx droughts give ways to floods.

Are the wells people use for residential water also filling?

Yes, well levels are definitely showing improvement.

A neighbor with a shallow (500') well told me a few minutes ago he has been able to almost fill his 2,000 gal storage tank from his well. It hasn't produced water for almost a year and he chose to pay for a monthly delivery of water and ration usage in the hopes the drought would finally break. His strategy was an exception out here. Most forked out ~ $25K or more to have a deeper well drilled.

We were very fortunate in having a driller who talked us into going down over 800 feet when we drilled ours 16 years ago. We had to lower our pump to 650 ft in 2011 but that was a fraction of the cost of a new well.

Rewahoo, That great news about the rain/drought. I can't believe how deep your well is. Ours is 50 feet. It's that deep cause they were trying to hit better water. We have a lot of iron in the soil. High water table where we are. In the Spring, we have underground water surface and run above aground. One year, it was so wet out back I had to wear my wellies and mow with a weed whacker.

All that TX rain started just at the end of my visit earlier this month and doesn't seem to have let up since I flew home.

I am happy for y'all.

This gives me hope for California.

Still no rain in the on the Peninsula of SF Bay Area. We are in desperate need! Send some our way.

It must have been in another thread, but several posters were interested in where the flooding was in Houston on Memorial Day, and how severe. Great graphic showing the locations of homes flooded here:
See the scope of the damage from Houston's Memorial Day flood - Houston Chronicle

Now the weathermen are saying we may get a repeat this Tuesday, from a still-forming tropical disturbance rated with an 80% chance of forming a storm. It's cause for concern. The worst flooding event in my 40 years here wasn't from a hurricane, it was from a weak tropical storm Allison. It came across the city slowing, then backed up and stalled.

Atlantic 5-Day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

two_atl_5d0.png

Although my map post above has moved on to forecast no new storms, the one that was brewing in the Gulf yesterday reached named status late yesterday.

Thankfully, it's looking OK for our area (most schools closed, government offices open). TS Bill is going to make landfall well south of Houston.

The rain projections are heaviest outside Houston, San Antonio and Austin. DFW may get dumped on - again - in a couple of days, though.

d12_fill.gif

yep - looks like Houston is on the "dirty side" of Bill

man I sure don't miss tropical cyclones - hope everyone in Tejas stays safe

There goes the drought in Texas.

It's been hot here in the SW. It is going to be as high as 115F for the rest of the week, so yesterday we escaped up to our high-country place.

Man, even at 7,000 ft it was 89F yesterday, although it felt so cool compared to the oven in the low desert. With humidity so low, 89F is tolerable, in the shade that is, but today I turn on the AC. We went for a hike at 8AM, but it was already at 80F, and it was hot under the bright sun. I wish I were back in the NW, where one can skip taking a shower for 2 days and still does not stink.

Yeah, well not yet. But here in the mid-Atlantic, we're looking at 2-4 inches of rain in the next 24 hr. 8 inches in the last 3 weeks. (Before that we had less than normal rainfall.) So our politicians are debating (actually, arguing and not talking to one another) about the Keystone XL pipeline, but why can't we consider a pipeline from East to West, bringing a flow of water from our excessive rain when it occurs from our soon to be flooded rivers and streams to...California? I guess there's not much $$ in water compared to oil...but one can dream about a life that makes sense...

Anyway, having lived 4 decades in CA through two major droughts, (as a teenager not flushing toilets and sending our laundry rinse water into a plastic garbage can to water the lawn for two years was a bit mortifying), and now living here 250 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, cursing my weeds and grass that needs mowing EVERY 5 %*%&%@*%& DAYS...I keep wondering how we can take some of that water that pools on our roads and overflows our streams and sends it to my CA farm and my dear CA friends and relatives so they don't have to live thinking about ordering water in a restaurant.

(Talk about a run-on sentence-sorry)

Anyway, tomorrow's rain is highly inconvenient for my family's plans--DS working a summer job in an amusement park and DH having to transport electric keyboards and gear from home to his performance venue in the rain. Too much rain and too little rain both suck. I want to see a friend play in a band concert in my neighborhood tomorrow night. I doubt that will happen, unfortunately.

Oh well. Thanks to anyone who reads this rant.

.5" rain yesterday, .5" so far today. 3.75" Monday night with a near miss tornado. Over 11" of rain this month. 4" is average.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom