This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sense in going to bed! We have a thunderstorm bearing down on us.

221505.jpg

The TV weatherman says to expect 70 mph winds and possibly tornados. Really? 70 mph? :ermm:

Hope you were ok. I just get nervous when I start to see purple sections, significant bowing and/or a defined hook showing up on those weather radars.

Hope you were ok. I just get nervous when I start to see purple sections, significant bowing and/or a defined hook showing up on those weather radars.

I am fine. It turned out to be a very interesting storm! There were plenty of those defined hooks and bowing in various places, and plenty of small tornados outside of town so the TV meteorologists were busy warning people. There were also straight-line winds measured at over 80 mph out in the countryside, but they were not really very strong at all, here. And the rainfall wasn't that bad.

What was amazing was the amount of lightning and thunder. The lightning was nearly constant cloud-to-ground lightning strikes, making it seem like daylight again. I have never seen so much lightning and at least one house burned down from it. The thunder began ramping up with one very deep roll of thunder that shook the ground and the house to the extreme, and kept rolling and lasted for almost 15 minutes. That was WEIRD. Even the meteorologists said they had never experienced anything like it. It felt like it was coming from under the ground instead of from the skies.

Anyway, the storm barreled on through leaving lots of power outages behind it but was gone in about an hour, much faster than predicted. So, I didn't have to stay up too late after all. :D

Last edited:
We are under a heat advisory in Chicagoland. Currently 90° with a "feels like" of 110°. But a "feels like" of 110° here feels worse than 110° in Arizona.

We are under a heat advisory in Chicagoland. Currently 90° with a "feels like" of 110°. But a "feels like" of 110° here feels worse than 110° in Arizona.

It's a weird day. I was surprised that it didn't feel that bad out here in the western burbs--I walked some errands in town just now and it felt like low 80s with a great strong cooling breeze from the east (thank you Lake Michigan) and cloudy skies. I planned to drive but it was only twenty minutes round trip by foot so I bucked up. Now, less than half an hour later, hot breeze from the west, no clouds, oppressively hot and humid.

I know - it came on very fast. I rode my bike this morning and it wasn't too bad. Then went to my workshop. DW came out a little while ago to check up on the elderly (me) as directed on the news. I stepped outside - it was an oven.

94° here, but low humidity so unless you're in direct sunlight it isn't bad at all. But then I like it warmer than most people.

Possible 99 in the DC area on Saturday. The feels like number will probably be 105. Good day to spend at home, in a mall or at the movies.

North of Houston, TX

Currently 97 F here and feels like 100 (what a relief today). Humidity only 32% 12 UV index (extreme)

96F and sunny right now, "feels like" 116F, humidity 60%. Lots of thunder and about half a thimbleful of rain earlier.

New Orleans in late July. It's bearable. October is our reward for surviving July and August.

96° F and high humidity so we're just staying inside except for going to the gym. And hoping nothing goes wrong with the A/C!

In six months I'll be complaining about the cold.

96° F and high humidity so we're just staying inside except for going to the gym. And hoping nothing goes wrong with the A/C!

In six months I'll be complaining about the cold.

I don't like when it goes into the 90s with high humidity but i'll never complain about it because it's much better than any weather we get Nov-Mar.

Ninety-five degrees and 24% here in the central valley, nice day - :)

97 degrees and 69% humidity. I love hot weather. We did cut back on our hike. One person in the group started to feel sick. Now it's like someone turned off the humidity switch. Supposed to be 95 tomorrow and low humidity. Monday may reach 99, yay!

New Orleans in late July. It's bearable. October is our reward for surviving July and August.

100 or so here; been high 90s recently; Jul-Sep is generally just miserable, though no NO or Houston humidity, but high enough. Air pollution orange pretty much all summer...

Speaking of October, I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me, but my electric usage per month in fall and late winter/early spring is in the 300-500 kwh range. In the summer, with the a/c running, I use that much energy in a week...

The thunderstorm that rolled in was not predicted, included an incredible downpour ,hurricane like winds and hail...the power was out for 2 hours. I watched it in awe...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

I think I just lost 5 pounds playing golf after work, in a cart with music blaring

High of 87F today but only 50% humidity so still quite comfortable unless working hard and no need to do that... I'm retired.

we had to be over 100 with "official" low humidity (10%) but they've thrown so much water on the golf course it was horrible

Likely brief respite from the 100s due to waves of clouds and pop-up t-storms in the afternoon, but still 90s, and humidity you could cut with a knife. Plus, lots of sound and fury, but very little rain at mi casa...

We had such a hair-raising, terrifying storm this afternoon! It was sunny and hot all day, and then around 4 PM without the slightest warning all h*ll broke loose. It literally became as black as night. Like midnight. For an hour or so there was a lot of thunder, a lot of rain, a lot of lightning, and a whole lot of wind. Once it had mostly passed, I turned on the TV and apparently there were several dozen rotations all around, of which at least one was officially a tornado. Some houses were knocked down, but AFAIK nobody was killed, thank goodness.

Tornado touches down in New Orleans, National Weather Service confirms | NOLA.com

Frank and I are fine but I sure didn't expect tornados to arise out of nowhere on this lazy summer afternoon.

We had a massive thunderstorm here last night. Here is a picture of a lightning strike just south of town.

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 14
We had such a hair-raising, terrifying storm this afternoon! It was sunny and hot all day, and then around 4 PM without the slightest warning all h*ll broke loose. It literally became as black as night. Like midnight. For an hour or so there was a lot of thunder, a lot of rain, a lot of lightning, and a whole lot of wind. Once it had mostly passed, I turned on the TV and apparently there were several dozen rotations all around, of which at least one was officially a tornado. Some houses were knocked down, but AFAIK nobody was killed, thank goodness.

Tornado touches down in New Orleans, National Weather Service confirms | NOLA.com

Frank and I are fine but I sure didn't expect tornados to arise out of nowhere on this lazy summer afternoon.

When I heard the weather news on TV, I was wondering how you and F made out. Was the storm close to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom