This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marita, I'm in MN too. I figured the weather guys were exaggerating again, but we might get a full foot of snow in mid April before it is over. Amazing. JP

This morning I got up around 10 AM, and it was as dark as night for several hours. I mean REALLY as dark as night, not just an expression - - the street lights were on, and it was, well, dark! We had a severe thunderstorm watch and tornado watch, and the wind was getting gusty. Our cell phones blatted a rude automated dangerous weather warning at us.

Anyway, so far we have had 8" of rain today. EIGHT inches? That's a lot of rain, even for south Louisiana. It has just been beating down on our neighborhood as though we were standing under a waterfall. We decided to stay home instead of going out to lunch as we usually do. Luckily, our block has never flooded and the house is dry. I didn't look at the street, though; probably some water there I would think.

What a nice day to be retired.

When one is healthy with no issues, being healthy becomes something taken for granted. My wife and I contemplate leaving SoCal for myriad reasons, but after much thought, we realize we'll never move. To walk the dogs in the dead of winter in shorts and t-shirt is something I take for granted, but reading about your latest snowstorm I can certainly understand the frustration at this time of year.

In the paper today they were talking about people with contracts to have there driveways plowed and the contracts ended 3/31. A little extra bonus for the snowplow business.

We've got friends in that situation.

My brother clears snow in the winter, and the extra dough doesn't really make up for the fact that it's APRIL. The snow guys want it to be spring, too!

DH and I are going snowshoeing today. Might as well enjoy it!

This weather is awful!!

Yesterday and the day before 80s. It was a drizzly 41 degrees when I walked Dusty at 6:30 this morning. I only put on a sweatshirt and Geeze I was chilly...

Still great weather for the spinach, arugula and lettuce mix I planted yesterday.. it shouldn’t be long before we are eating fresh RayinPenn Salad!

Last edited:
So has been ice pellets beating down since yesterday mid-day and all night. It was a bit painful on the face out walking with the wind and the sharp little pellets pelting one's face yesterday. Interestingly, not dramatic accumulation because they are so compact. If it had been snow I bet easily 18" but more like 3" since ice. Predicting a transition to freezing rain this afternoon and much less accretion than originally predicted which is very good. Then a boat load of rain with thunderstorms overnight to melt and wash everything away! Should be one massive slushie by morning. Spring is scheduled to arrive later in the week apparently - we'll believe when we see it!

Unseasonably cold here in PV MX. Temps in the 70s and humidity in the 70s. Normally humidity is low 80s and temps in the mid-80s.

Ice last night cold and bleak all day.
Windstorm expected tonight.
Maybe we'll get a spring next year

Nice relaxing weekend of clearing my driveway 4 times. I will have to clear it again in the morning after the plow comes thru. My hip is starting to get really sore. I may have to use a vacation day to rest from the weekend.

How I wish I were retired and could have just sat inside all weekend. I could have sat inside for a week or two letting mother nature take care of the snow.

Green Bay - 23.2 inches (Sunday 5:07 pm)... that's snow they are talking about in inches. Whatever happened to April showers bring May flowers.

Green Bay - 23.2 inches (Sunday 5:07 pm)... that's snow they are talking about in inches. Whatever happened to April showers bring May flowers.

I live 40 miles from GB. We only got slightly less. Add in drifting and snow plow piles and it's pretty crazy.

Frankly I'm surprised at all the folks who live in heavy snow areas and don't invest in a snow blower. I finally broke down and bought the first one ~1990 or so (ended up giving it to FIL later and replaced it) and although we didn't see snowflake one for four years, eventually the law of averages caught up, and with a vengeance! We had about a 2 1/2 foot snowfall and I was thrilled with how easy it was to clear all the snow! True, turning that straight-shaft machine around at each end was an upper-body workout but it is far easier than shoveling, especially on the back.

Because that upper-body workout was getting a bit much for me by age 67, last December I bought one of these Ariens Deluxe 24" snow blowers that has a sort of power-assist turning feature. I've only used it once this year for an about 3" heavy wet snow in March, but I'm very happy with it so far. Granted you can find snow blowers cheaper at the big box stores but for what I generally see as a one-off expense I don't mind paying for high quality and durability. Plus, if it matters to you, they're made in USA. BTW, I gave the "old" snow blower to a BIL with some cardiac issues, who was a little bit reluctant to accept it. He figured if he owned a snow thrower that would make it snow!:facepalm:

This being mid-April, usually by now I feel safe in taking it down to the shed and draining the fuel & carburetor (with ~20 minutes run time on it I'm not going to bother changing the oil) but since we seem to be having a late spring arrival I'm going to wait a while yet.

Snow and sleet all day today, but the ground was warm enough there is no accumulation. Sure is nice to see Spring return! :confused:

Cold today in FLA. Only 68 degrees......

Actually got a very brief glimpse of that thing they call the sun yesterday and it unbelievably reached 70f ! Unfortunately it's also blown 45 mph for the last 48 hrs. It's 35f and blowing snow again as I type this!

We got about a foot of snow on sunday here in N. Michigan. Now it's just cold, with flurries. Worst April I can remember in many years. We should have stayed down in Texas another month :(

I live 40 miles from GB. We only got slightly less. Add in drifting and snow plow piles and it's pretty crazy.

I feel for you guys, I have most of my family up in that area, mom got 22 inches, cousins got close to 29 inches and snow predicted again for Wed. I was visiting and left early during that first 8 inches in the beginning of April. Hope no more roofs collapse as the list was crazy on Sunday.

Stay safe, hope your snowblowers are good enough.. I know from my facebook feeds lots of people who just couldn't push through the worst of it...calling for people to help out as the ends of the driveways just became almost impenetrable without heavy duty equipment.

After the scary rainstorm on Saturday, that I posted about in post #4427, the weather is smiling on us here in New Orleans. It was cold for a day or two, but today it is already 81F with sunshine and blue skies.

I am so glad to be back to what I call "shorts weather". I know the heat down here is pretty intolerable for some people but I guess I am just a hot weather person at heart.

Spring?

Attachments

• April.jpg
    April.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 18
Its 50° something, very windy, and dry. I could barely see the mountains to the east because of smoke in the area. According to the area fire department everything is contained, but it's a good time for caution.

Just had 17" of fresh snow, and apparently 1-3" forecast tomorrow. I think then we will finally be done with snow. Managed to go alpine/downhill skiing with my 67yr old dad. That was fun.

Temperature hits 97F (36C) today. Totally ridiculous!

We are headed to our high-country hideout tomorrow. Will not be able to stay long though, as I still have work on the RV to prep for the upcoming trip.

Its not really awful. Just a little late this year. We had 4 inches of snow yesterday and no wind. The temp was 15 this morning. It was a winter wonderland scene with snow covering all the pine trees. Now it is 50 and all the snow is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom