This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you're in Sarasota. That is the area i'm thinking that I would go if I was going to leave winter behind. Right now, being near my family is what's keeping me in Wisconsin. Are there any downfalls to Sarasota. Muggy summers don't bother me a bit. Hurricanes don't worry me. Housing seems very reasonable. How are RE taxes. I know HO ins. is a little high but i'd be looking for a place well under $100,000 so it can't be that bad.
Sarasota is very nice. As a fellow Wisconsinite (once upon a time) let me suggest you check out Lakewood Ranch. It was originally bought and then developed by the Uihleins, the beer barons of Milwaukee. Lots of cheeseheads there -- a planned community east of Sarasota. May not be to your liking but worth seeing.

Rich

I see you're in Sarasota. That is the area i'm thinking that I would go if I was going to leave winter behind. Right now, being near my family is what's keeping me in Wisconsin. Are there any downfalls to Sarasota. Muggy summers don't bother me a bit. Hurricanes don't worry me. Housing seems very reasonable. How are RE taxes. I know HO ins. is a little high but i'd be looking for a place well under $100,000 so it can't be that bad.

I second Rich's recommendation of Lakewood Ranch but not sure if anything there is under $100,000. My RE taxes and HO insurance actually went down this year . Since you are looking well under $100,000 I'm assuming you are looking for a manufactured home . If so there are some really nice communities in Ellenton which is above Bradenton .

All that ice reminds me of December 1979 in MO. (yeah, a looong time ago) Anyway, we didn't have power or gas for three days and we, like most, had no generator. We did pretty well except we froze our buns off since we had a waterbed. :eek:....:p

Well, if you had told that story earlier, you could have had the BunsGettingFirm name. :)

Winter weather usually doesn't bother me -- until April. This week storms were kind of a novelty because I got to try out my new tires in the snow.

Well... uhm... ah... gosh, we had a big rainstorm last week that dumped 12" in 12 hours. (It's probably the same storm that Brat's dealing with now.) We had to shut all our windows and one of our roof vents leaked when the rain blew in. And all our lanai furniture was soaking wet, all the way up to the house wall. And a local reservoir almost overflowed and we had flash flooding in a bunch of gulches around the island.

And... and... and the surf temperature is down in the low 70s and it feels really cold when you first get in. I may have to buy a 3mm shorty for next winter.
l

Nords, don't forget the VOG (volcanic smog) its been pretty bad until today. I must say all this ice, snowstorms, wind chill below zero sounds very exciting, I am so envious of you folks with changing weather.>:D

Honolulu is so boring, forecast HI 79 Low 67 repeat through Christmas, maybe we will get showers on Christmas day, Friday we are due for a cold snap 77.

Honolulu is so boring, forecast HI 79 Low 67 repeat through Christmas, maybe we will get showers on Christmas day, Friday we are due for a cold snap 77.[/QUOTE]

Clifp,

I hope I live long enough to get bored with the weather in the islands. I suppose if I ever get too bored with it, I can go visit 'bad' weather on the mainland. Seriously, I did spend October in the midwest this year and it was perhaps the most beautiful weather and tree color I've experienced there in years. Maybe I miss that a little - but I'll deal with it!

Strangely, what I do miss is the "Weather Channel". Used to rely on that every morning before w*rk and every weekend before play. Even though weather rarely changes much here, I would love to have that channel in our lineup. Not only "local weather on the '8s" but they had weather stories from around the world. I always watched for the "tropical update", hoping to see the weather patterns over our islands. Now, I can see the weather here, first hand, but I still miss that channel. (Maybe it's the first sign of weather boredom. Oh, well!)

Oh trust me I love the boring weather here a lot having only being here 9 years. I often ask Kama'aina do you ever get bored with weather and they pretty much say are you kidding! Personally, I still chuckle every time I see the breathless promos for the local news with the two segments devoted to the weather forecast (although surf forecast is serious :) ) and the Hawaii severe weather channel. I play poker with one of the local sports casters and have asked why why the meteorologist don't video tape their forecasts a week in advance. He isn't sure either.

Personally CNBC this last year has been a great substitute for the Weather channel and associated hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes.

I'll admit is cruel to post on this thread,with many of virtual friends suffering, but I did use the right emoticon >:D

and a house a block & 1/2 away i was taking pics of yesterday - it took a good hit from an oak branch:

img_763182_0_97b3dd3588f7a80764436dc562f4b395.jpg

Yikes! This was what I was always afraid would happen to our house when we lived in PA. We had a HUGE oak tree - absolutely gorgeous - in our front yard. However, it was tall enough that if it went down it would have caused major damage to our house. We had a professional come in to prune it and also apply cables to it and another tree that was close to the house.

Not too bad here, a high of 21 F yesterday and 32 F today. We've missed out on the snow and most of the ice so far, but it's early in the winter yet.

Being an optimist (sometimes) I'm going to check out a slightly used Yamaha 1300 touring motorcycle this afternoon. From the description over the phone I'll probably buy it, get it home somehow, and store it in the shed until April.

I'm the guy who registered a boat on a January day when the high temp was 5 F. The lady at DMV couldn't believe it.

Nords, don't forget the VOG (volcanic smog) its been pretty bad until today. I must say all this ice, snowstorms, wind chill below zero sounds very exciting, I am so envious of you folks with changing weather.>:D

Honolulu is so boring, forecast HI 79 Low 67 repeat through Christmas, maybe we will get showers on Christmas day, Friday we are due for a cold snap 77.

Yeah, but MY GOD CLIFP! YOU'RE STUCK ON AN ISLAND! ;)

Nords, don't forget the VOG (volcanic smog) its been pretty bad until today.

Ahhh, yes the dreaded VOG. Interesting what happens to certain types of security inks (used in printing financial documents) when exposed to the sulfur oxides, sulfate aerosols, trace metals and other chemical compounds in VOG. Half the fun was trying to figure out why documents printed on the mainland and distributed all over the US were fine except in HI, where the inks and paper did strange things...

Being an optimist (sometimes) I'm going to check out a slightly used Yamaha 1300 touring motorcycle this afternoon. From the description over the phone I'll probably buy it, get it home somehow, and store it in the shed until April..
Cool Walt! I hope you post some pics! :)

Oh trust me I love the boring weather here a lot having only being here 9 years. I often ask Kama'aina do you ever get bored with weather and they pretty much say are you kidding! Personally, I still chuckle every time I see the breathless promos for the local news with the two segments devoted to the weather forecast (although surf forecast is serious :) ) and the Hawaii severe weather channel. I play poker with one of the local sports casters and have asked why why the meteorologist don't video tape their forecasts a week in advance. He isn't sure either.

Personally CNBC this last year has been a great substitute for the Weather channel and associated hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes.

I'll admit is cruel to post on this thread,with many of virtual friends suffering, but I did use the right emoticon >:D

I like wide open spaces, so I would have claustrophobia living on a volcanic island..........:eek:

Ahhh, yes the dreaded VOG. Interesting what happens to certain types of security inks (used in printing financial documents) when exposed to the sulfur oxides, sulfate aerosols, trace metals and other chemical compounds in VOG. Half the fun was trying to figure out why documents printed on the mainland and distributed all over the US were fine except in HI, where the inks and paper did strange things...
Never thought of that! Should we laminate our currency, or just minimize the adverse effects by spending it faster?

Vog has dropped our photovoltaic production by at least 10% this year. But the sunrises & sunsets have been even more gorgeous than usual.

I like wide open spaces, so I would have claustrophobia living on a volcanic island..........:eek:
People either love living here or they hate it, but there's rarely ambivalence or apathy...

It's officially the snowiest december ever in my city with 33" so far. They're forcasting another 4"+ for the next 24 hours so we'll shatter the record :bat:

It's officially the snowiest december ever in my city with 33" so far. They're forcasting another 4"+ for the next 24 hours so we'll shatter the record :bat:
Visiting the sisters in Wisconsin and sharing the same snow. It was down from 8" that Fox was predicting yesterday.

Visiting the sisters in Wisconsin and sharing the same snow. It was down from 8" that Fox was predicting yesterday.

If you're down near milwaukee area you could still get up to 8 inches with this latest storm. Drive safely.

I cannot wait for winter to be OVER! I know....it's just begun, but I have had it already :(

78 today, 76 tomorrow, 77 on Friday! Jacksonville Florida :)Mike

We left Orange Park last Friday (12/19) and it had been great as we were down there a week. Driving back to Ohio the temperature was falling about 2 degrees every 100 miles, but it was still in the 50's when we got home. This past week has been a tad COLD. Currently, just put the dog out, it is a lot warmer and just a light rain. Glad we did not get a Ice Storm. We sill like the spring, summer and fall, here in Ohio better than the spring, summer and fall, down there, and we lived there (Orange Park) for 19 years. Just need to find someplace further south to hide for the winters.

We left Orange Park last Friday (12/19) and it had been great as we were down there a week. Driving back to Ohio the temperature was falling about 2 degrees every 100 miles, but it was still in the 50's when we got home. This past week has been a tad COLD. Currently, just put the dog out, it is a lot warmer and just a light rain. Glad we did not get a Ice Storm. We sill like the spring, summer and fall, here in Ohio better than the spring, summer and fall, down there, and we lived there (Orange Park) for 19 years. Just need to find someplace further south to hide for the winters.

I was born and raised in Chicago. My entire family still lives there. I left many years ago when I joined the Navy. Last Sunday when it was -27 degrees with the wind chill in Chicago, my son and I were teeing off at TPC Sawgrass Valley Course in shorts! :)

Mike

Cool Walt! I hope you post some pics! :)

Well, I didn't buy the Yamaha, but I did buy a 2008 Suzuki C90T motorcycle, black in color. With the economy supposedly going down the tubes this makes sense, no? I won't actually get it until next week because the dealer has to order some of the extras (driving lights, tachometer, luggage rack, etc.) that I want on it.

At the moment our driveway is covered with ice. I guess my timing could be better.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/C90TK9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom