This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW just got some pictures from a friend in the San Juan mountains outside Durango Co. They're supposed to get 3 feet of snow tonight. :p

Attachments

• Durango snow.jpg
    Durango snow.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Durango_Hogan.jpg
    Durango_Hogan.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 4
Three feet of snow...think I'll stay in TX and wrassle with the fire ants.....:p

Here in Michigan we have had snow storm upon snow storm, now we are having freezing rain and tomorrow it is supposed to be in the high 50's and the forecasters are predicting widespread flooding. I wonder what we did to deserve this?

Here in Michigan we have had snow storm upon snow storm, now we are having freezing rain and tomorrow it is supposed to be in the high 50's and the forecasters are predicting widespread flooding. I wonder what we did to deserve this?

Lived in Michigan?

Do y'all ever have power outages during ice storms? Here in the south, if you can sniff the scent of ice in the air....the power is gone.
We do have that problem, but it seems less common here in the city than in the suburbs or country. On my street anyway the power company is pretty good about keeping trees well trimmed. Some power outs seem to come from just the weight of ice on the lines, but around here I think more are caused by icy branches coming down onto the lines.

We're actually up to 81ºF now after being stuck in the 30s a few days ago. Windy as all get-out, though -- I guess the south wind from Mexico is keeping it warm, even if not all that fun to sit around in...

It is FINALLY beginning to warm up. The thaw has it's own problems. Down-stream a moorage lost several covered slips to the weight of ice, a large yacht began listing from water coming in a 'whats-it' (my non-mariner term for a hole in the hull used by engines) that was broken by freezing - a beautiful luxury boat would have been lost if an all-hands call hadn't resulted in a rapid pump and haul out. They will be blessed if a couple employees don't contract a chest infection. The vessel owner and their insurer should offer the hands a huge bonus... saved them about $1M, not including contamination clean-up costs.

Add that to the fact that the boat yard Norwegian Forest Cat fell through the ice and suffered hypothermia... it was a busy day.

The midwest is having odd weather. -5 F Christmas morning. Warmed up to 51 Boxing Day evening. Thick fog everywhere, we drove slow. And it was 34 back in Phoenix.

Thunderstorms in Chicago early this morning, melting snow, flooding, rain sewers blocked up, fog, high of 58 today--our 8 or so inches of snow is disappearing; black ice of yesterday that paralyzed the area is only a memory.... What next?

Thunderstorms in Chicago..... melting snow, flooding, rain sewers blocked up, fog, high of 58 today.... What next?

High winds starting later this afternoon and going into tomorrow........

Spare a thought for the poor Hawaians - heard Oahu is without power - Vog shade out all the solar panels? Corrosive ocean spray break line connections?

It got up to 61° today...starting to drop some now though. We've had about an inch of rain total, since the wee morning hours. Yesterday morning , there was about 7" of snow/frozen yuck on the ground....this afternoon....NADA, except where it was shoveled or lowed into piles, and they're nearly gone also!

S'posed to drop to upper 20's tonight, low to mid 30's & sunny tomorrow, and then back up into the 40's for a couple of days...with sunshine!

This sure beats the ice, sleet, freezing rain, and double-digit below zero wind-chills of the last couple of weeks!!!

Here in Colorado, 26 degrees, sunny, blue skies and windy. The wind chill makes it feel like 13 degrees!

It got up to 61° today...starting to drop some now though. We've had about an inch of rain total, since the wee morning hours. Yesterday morning , there was about 7" of snow/frozen yuck on the ground....this afternoon....NADA, except where it was shoveled or lowed into piles, and they're nearly gone also!

S'posed to drop to upper 20's tonight, low to mid 30's & sunny tomorrow, and then back up into the 40's for a couple of days...with sunshine!

This sure beats the ice, sleet, freezing rain, and double-digit below zero wind-chills of the last couple of weeks!!!

Wow, i'm only 200 miles north of you but it only got into low 40's today. Glad we got the rain. Melted a good amount of the snow although there's still alot left. Unfortunetly, temps will drop 15-20 by early morning and we'll get a couple inches of snow.

68F right now in Dayton OH; windows open.

1F a few days ago.

(snip)Do y'all ever have power outages during ice storms?
We do have that problem, but it seems less common here in the city than in the suburbs or country. On my street anyway the power company is pretty good about keeping trees well trimmed. Some power outs seem to come from just the weight of ice on the lines, but around here I think more are caused by icy branches coming down onto the lines.
I can remember one of our Seattle snowstorms (not this one) when my power was out for over 24 hours, within walking distance of downtown. As haha says it is more often branches coming down on power lines that cause the problem, and they will do that with or without accompanying ice loads, if there are strong winds. We had a big windstorm, I forget whether last year or two years ago, and that is the second time my power was out over 24 hours, inside the City limits (not the same house as before, though). There was no snow or ice that time, just heavy rain and very high winds which blew over many entire trees and brought down a lot of branches from the trees that didn't fall. Some of the folks at my church were without electricity for over a week but that was on the east side of the lake, not right in Seattle proper.

I got back here a few hours ago after two days at my parents' home. My car hasn't been out of the garage since before the first snowfall, which is getting close to three weeks now. I took buses, and got within about a mile of my parents' home, then walked the rest of the way (which was actually kind of fun). My aunt had a big adventure. She got in from Southern California on Monday evening—her flight was late but not canceled like so many others. My parents advised her to take a taxi from the airport to their house, and gave her directions for the best (i.e. least hilly) route, but the cab driver said, "Don't worry, I know how to get there". He drove her via a longer, hillier route than provided by my parents, and finally got stuck two blocks from their house. He unceremoniously put my aunt (who will celebrate her 85th birthday in about three weeks) and her suitcase out of the car, in the snow, in the road, at 9 o'clock at night! Fortunately, a :angel: neighbor of my parents saw her struggling up the hill and gave her a ride the rest of the way. The cab driver didn't even offer to help her with her bag or knock at the door of a nearby house and ask if she could borrow the phone so my aunt could call my parents!! :rant:

Wednesday evening we all got into the car and went off to church for the Christmas Eve service. The services at my regular parish were canceled altogether, but I wouldn't have been able to get there in any case. With chains on my dad's car, we made it to the church OK, as did perhaps 30 other folks. While people were preparing for the service, another member and I cleared the snow off the walkway. We had no de-icer so my mom got the saltshakers out of the kitchen, and there was just enough in them to sprinkle the cleared areas, which kept them from icing up again during the service. Afterwards, several of us helped the organist get her car unstuck from the parking lot.

We nearly made it all the way back to my parents' house after the service, but lost a chain just before the last corner coming up to the house. There was no way we could make it up that hill with only one chain! Fortunately, my dad was able to back the car off the hill and turn down the street before my parents' house. At the end of the block, there is a staircase going up to their street. My dad and I walked up to our house, brought back shovels and implements of destruction (to paraphrase Arlo Guthrie) and cleared some of the snow off the steps so my mom and aunt could get up them. From the top of the stairs, it was only half a block more, but the snow was quite deep, so my mom took my dad's arm and my aunt took mine, and we picked our way the rest of the way to the house. All arrived, tired but safe, had a late dinner and went off to bed.

The storm had a last gasp yesterday. It snowed on and off during the day, but the snow was usually mixed with rain. Today the temperatures are above freezing, and expected to stay there all night. I hope to be able to get to church tomorrow, but there is still a good bit of snow and slush on my street, which has a high crown. It is frustrating that a ten-foot stretch of slush may keep me from getting out of here! I'm hoping it rains a good bit tonight, which will get rid of enough of the remnants that I won't get stuck there.

I hope all had a Merry Christmas and are getting some relief from the storms, snow and "cabin fever".

I can remember one of our Seattle snowstorms (not this one) when my power was out for over 24 hours, within walking distance of downtown. As haha says it is more often branches coming down on power lines that cause the problem, and they will do that with or without accompanying ice loads, if there are strong winds. We had a big windstorm, I forget whether last year or two years ago, and that is the second time my power was out over 24 hours, inside the City limits (not the same house as before, though).

I believe that was November 06. Incredible rains and wind, my ex had a good sized Doug Fir come down on the roof of the apartment next to hers. I was staying with her that night, I didn't even wake up. It was plenty cold the next morning though.

Ha

I can remember one of our Seattle snowstorms (not this one) when my power was out for over 24 hours, within walking distance of downtown.
I believe that was November 06. Incredible rains and wind, my ex had a good sized Doug Fir come down on the roof of the apartment next to hers. I was staying with her that night, I didn't even wake up. It was plenty cold the next morning though.

Ha
No, I know it was before 1997, because that's when I moved out of that house. The '06 storm is probably the one I was thinking about for the second time my power was out for over 24 hours, inside the city limits. No snow that time, IIRC, but I could be confusing two different storms.

I spent several hours this afternoon on snow removal and hope I will be able to get the car out and go church tomorrow. It was raining a little as I came in, and that will help.

Talked to my sister Christmas day in Kalamazoo, MI. She was visiting her son and family and they were all going to drive the next day to Chicago to have a little Christmas with her other son. They had a lot of snow in Kazoo, just about a record for December. 54" I think she said. Then I see today its warming up any raining in Chicago. That has to be a real mess. Hope they made it OK. If the weather turns to freezing again, they will be in big trouble. They are returning to Kazoo Sunday and then leaving Tuesday for back home to NC. All the while, I'm sitting here enjoying the 80 degree weather. "Cold" front coming in Sunday, dropping the temps to the low 70's. Dang!

Hmmm - 29 and snowing in Kansas City. Snowed in Albuquerque, New Mexico driving thru yesterday after visiting friends in Sierra Vista, Az for Christmas.

My Sister called Christmas - 8 inches and 32 down the I-5 near Kalama Wa.

Nippy.

heh heh heh - :D May have to go visit N.O. again.

While in Hawaii, my BIL called some friends in Michigan who ask about the temperature. He said it was 68 degrees. They replied that it was 6 or 8 degrees there also.

Wisconsin has weird weather. In the 50s, higher than Phoenix. However, driving home it dropped from 50 to 34 in the space of 45 minutes as a front came in. A lot of the snow has melted and you can see green grass.

Sometimes I am glad to be far enough north to miss the freeze thaw thing that some of you are having. Blech. More snow on the way but better than slush. About 10 degrees and sunny today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom