This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were supposed to get heavy rain. Had some drizzle. MOTS tomorrow. MOTS=more of the same

Stay safe, Ziggy.

You must have got the rain and severe storms we were supposed to get today. So far, not a drop.

If you were in Springfield you would've got hammered yesterday.

We got some rain yesterday but not enough to get rid of all the snow. The 10 day forcast shows several days with possiblity of snow and all days with lows below frezzing. Late spring this year I guess.

Looks like the worst has passed. The worst part of it actually veered a few miles to the south of us, but we had a few minutes with very heavy rain, strong wind and a little bit of 1/2" hail.

Temperature is 54º now -- it was almost 80 an hour and a half ago...

Last edited:
More F...ing snow today. Still waiting for +5C (~40F). Normally, by this time, most snow has melted. This year, none has. Global warming, my a$$.

Global warming, local warming...

If you just want some kind of warming, come down to Phoenix in August. Record high 122degF ( 50degC). And it's dry heat too...;)

No kidding about the dry heat. Even in 110degF (43 degC), you'd feel chilly coming out of the pool, as the pool water might be on the warm side at 80+ degF (27 degC) and the water evaporates off your skin fast and cools you down below the pool temperature.

Global warming, local warming...

If you just want some kind of warming, come down to Phoenix in August. Record high 122degF ( 50degC). And it's dry heat too...;)

No kidding about the dry heat. Even in 110degF (43 degC), you'd feel chilly coming out of the pool, as the pool water might be on the warm side at 80+ degF (27 degC) and the water evaporates off your skin fast and cools you down below the pool temperature.

Believe it or not, we can get to 100F here in the summer. Dry heat, dry cold, it's all the same here. Usual RH is <10%.

Wanna trade?

Yesterday was great! Went for a long motorcycle ride with a guy from work. Temps started out in the mid-40's and by 2:00 PM was low 50's. Toe warmers in the boots and hand warmers in the gloves combined with lots of layers under the riding gear made it comfortable.

Rain today. Yuck.

Thunderstorms rumbling through in the wee hours last night, and lots of rain this morning with warnings of downed trees and deep puddles. We have a tornado watch, a flash flood watch, and a coastal flood watch. I got to wear my pretty new blue Goretex rain jacket to work, and left ten minutes early so that I would have plenty of time.

They say the stormy weather will continue off and on through Friday, and our reward will be a cooler weekend. :)

Thunderstorms rumbling through in the wee hours last night, and lots of rain this morning with warnings of downed trees and deep puddles. We have a tornado watch, a flash flood watch, and a coastal flood watch. I got to wear my pretty new blue Goretex rain jacket to work, and left ten minutes early so that I would have plenty of time.
I think that's the same front that roared through here yesterday afternoon. Closer to Austin there were reports of baseball-sized hail, just in time for the afternoon commute...

I think that's the same front that roared through here yesterday afternoon. Closer to Austin there were reports of baseball-sized hail, just in time for the afternoon commute...

What a mess!! And I can think of a lot of ways I'd much rather go, than due to being hit on the head by a baseball-sized chunk of hail falling at a zillion mph.

Hailstorms are yet another reason why I really want my ideal ER home to have a garage.

Looks like Dawg54's part of the country might have been affected by a tornado or two...

17 injured after tornado rips through Mississippi

by Holbrook Mohr, The Associated Press Thursday March 26, 2009, 11:11 AM

MAGEE, Miss. (AP) -- Severe weather across the South unleashed tornadoes in rural Mississippi, including one that shattered dozens of homes, flattened a church and injured at least 17 people, authorities said Thursday.
There were no immediate reports of fatalities, Magee Mayor Jimmy Clyde said. The most seriously injured were hospitalized, but most others had minor injuries.
The twister was reported around 1:30 a.m., and swept through Mississippi's pine-covered hill country between Hattisburg and Jackson as severe thunderstorms rumbled across several Southeast states.
17 injured after tornado rips through Mississippi - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

Hope you are all right, Dawg54! :)

But a warming trend has been spotted.

Ha, you might need to watch that video a few dozen times. It would serve as a good practice for your Spanish Language learning. She has very clear pronunciation and did not use a lot of idiomatic expressions.

"Tendremos una tormenta electrica" indeed!

And she's talking to you, Ha, at 1:54 in the video: "Sunset is at 7:47 para los romanticos". She's call you, man!

Wind.

I'm REALLY getting sick of high winds.

We've had a ridiculous amount of very gusty wind over the last few months. We've had sustained winds of 20+ MPH during the day almost as often as not. My trash can blows over every second or third day, it seems. That used to be pretty uncommon until recently.

Maybe I'd be less sick of it if I had wind power installed in the back yard so I'd have no electric bill. But until then, enough is enough.

Severe thunderstorms, 2" hail, tornado watch, windy... exciting weather today! The hail isn't right here, though we had some tiny hail earlier. The Causeway (23 mile bridge over Lake Ponchartrain) is closed. It is as dark as night with gusty winds and about 70F. A funnel cloud was just spotted about a mile from me but headed away from me.

Ziggy, I don't mind windy weather at all as long as it doesn't cause damage. I think it is exciting. But then, I have a sheltered covered patio where I can put things that I don't want blown around too much.

Edited to add: Oops!! Here are the severe storms. Wow!

Last edited:
Ziggy, I don't mind windy weather at all as long as it doesn't cause damage. I think it is exciting. But then, I have a sheltered covered patio where I can put things that I don't want blown around too much.
That's just it. I'm always paranoid that more shingles will blow off the roof, that detritus will fly through the windows, that the antennas I installed last spring are going to get messed up...

So far, I'm surprised at the antennas not getting messed up despite all the wind. Guess I did an unusually good job with those for someone who's admittedly not very handy...

Sustained winds of 32 with gusts as high as 50+ all day so far...

Wow, now those are *winds*!!! And kudos to you on some really sturdy antenna installations.

Frank is a ham, and has a big antenna in his back yard. I helped him to set it up with a system he devised, so that he can take the antenna down and lay it flat on his lawn singlehandedly when storms threaten. The tropical weather that we get down here was what inspired that (not to mention lightning).

Last edited:
Yesterday was great. Cloudy but no rain, temps in the low 60's. Rode the motorcycle through the battlefield in Antietam near Sharpsburg, MD, then through the historic district of Harper's Ferry, WV.

Rain for the next couple of days - yuck. So I'm going to be working, nothing else to do in crummy weather anyway.

It was snowing today when I woke up. It's too warm to stick, but I think this is one of the latest snowfalls I can remember around here.

Ha

It was snowing today when I woke up. It's too warm to stick, but I think this is one of the latest snowfalls I can remember around here.

Ha

There's a large snow storm coming saturday night into sunday for my area. The weather people don't seem to know what we're going to get though. Early computer models where calling for anywhere from 1" to over a foot. Hopefully by later tonight at the 10 o'clock news they'll have a better idea. Either way, just when the snow finally was all gone, we're going to get more. :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom