This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to old stomping grounds here in the midwest. Reason ol' Koolau has been so silent of late. Bloody hot for June! Mid '90s last few days and I'm ready to go home to paradise (heard it's been hot there too!) Unfortunately, I have commitments to keep (and miles to go, blah, blah, blah.) Oh well, why do you think they call it summer? Maybe my foul mood is showing, so...

Aloha from sunny and warm Kentuckiana!

102.4 at 1:45 PM. Not a breeze, which is a bit unusual. 101 yesterday, the first century day for the year. I'm ready for October, tired of the heat, really tired of all the chiggers. Just got into the time of the year that I pretty much stay inside and listen to the A/C turn on and off.

Oh yeah.... don't move to Texas!

It was 95 with a heat index over 100 when I got to w*rk yesterday. Humidity was very high. Because of the heat from the machines, the temp in my work area is even higher. After 10 miutes my shirt was soaked with sweat. After 5 hrs, I literaly thought I was going to die. I was bent over trying to breathe and had a killer heat-induced headache. I don't know how I made it through 12 hrs. Luckily i'm off today and tomorrow. Friday will only be 5 degrees(or less) cooler than yesterday so i'm going to spend more time in the breakroom. I'll take a "note to file" for excessive break time if they really want to give me one.

66 degrees, headed for 70 with showers coming....but we did have a couple 90 degree days earlier this year! :cool:

Really, I do feel your pain! I hate hot weather....keep it 80 or under for me. :)

102.4 at 1:45 PM. Not a breeze, which is a bit unusual. 101 yesterday, the first century day for the year. I'm ready for October, tired of the heat, really tired of all the chiggers. Just got into the time of the year that I pretty much stay inside and listen to the A/C turn on and off.

Oh yeah.... don't move to Texas!

Brought to you by the Texas Department of Tourism...

It was 95 with a heat index over 100 when I got to w*rk yesterday. Humidity was very high. Because of the heat from the machines, the temp in my work area is even higher. After 10 miutes my shirt was soaked with sweat. After 5 hrs, I literaly thought I was going to die. I was bent over trying to breathe and had a killer heat-induced headache. I don't know how I made it through 12 hrs. Luckily i'm off today and tomorrow. Friday will only be 5 degrees(or less) cooler than yesterday so i'm going to spend more time in the breakroom. I'll take a "note to file" for excessive break time if they really want to give me one.

When I worked for American Can back in the early 70s, we would soak shop rags in the water fountain, and drape them over the backs our necks...

96 to 105 here, depending on where in the city. It's 99 at the closest measurement to my home. Unofficially 107 outside at my work. Excessive heat warnings.

It's 87 inside my house, with the A/C running nonstop. I turned on the ceiling fan, changed into my shorts, and it's really not bad. Ice water time.

I really need to get that attic fan fixed so that the A/C doesn't have to work so hard - - it's probably 115 in the attic, which is why the A/C can't bring it down below 87 right now. It will be as cool as I might want in the house by bedtime, though.

Last edited:
May I introduce the humble "poor man's AC"?
We used to use this in college dorm rooms before they turned the AC on, at a certain written in stone date.

1 mesh colander with a catch bowl beneath it
1 chunk of ice or lots of loose cubes
1 small personal size fan, table top preferred.
Place colander in front of fan, use a telephone book or two so ice is directly in the path of the breeze.
Point fan toward face.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :D

Brought to you by the Texas Department of Tourism...
104 at the house right now, official temp as well. I was trying to keep my grass alive but I think it committed suicide around Noon today. Hell has been calling wanting to use my place as a punishment for the really hard cases.

Stay away all you Kal-ee-fornee-ans and what not. Buy a new house in Pheoenix, it's a dry heat there.

May I introduce the humble "poor man's AC"?
We used to use this in college dorm rooms before they turned the AC on, at a certain written in stone date.

1 mesh colander with a catch bowl beneath it
1 chunk of ice or lots of loose cubes
1 small personal size fan, table top preferred.
Place colander in front of fan, use a telephone book or two so ice is directly in the path of the breeze.
Point fan toward face.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :D

I just *knew* there was something I forgot to buy in that shopping spree at Target, after I got my inheritance. A colander! I don't have one of any kind (and it would help in draining vegetables and pasta, too). I do have a personal sized fan, though. Oh well. I'm not that hot, and haven't even tried a cool shower yet. Thanks anyway! I'll remember it for another day when I am hotter, and that day is bound to arrive at some point.

I just *knew* there was something I forgot to buy in that shopping spree at Target, after I got my inheritance. A colander! I don't have one of any kind (and it would help in draining vegetables and pasta, too). I do have a personal sized fan, though. Oh well. I'm not that hot, and haven't even tried a cool shower yet. Thanks anyway! I'll remember it for another day when I am hotter, and that day is bound to arrive at some point.
Plan B - pantyhose, 1 leg only. Fill bottom 1/3 of a leg with ice and knot it. Make sure catch bowl is deep enough.
Have fun! :D

Anyone else have exploding cement. The main highway near me exploded in multiple places due to the heat and humidity.

Thanks, Freebird. :flowers:

Dark skies and suddenly VERY strong winds out there, gusts probably 50 mph. Wild weather! Black clouds swirling all about. The temperature is plummeting, felt colder outside than in and I think rain might be coming!

Nope, no exploding cement, Aaron. Cement up there really gets the temperature extremes what with your cold winters and hot summers.

Last edited:
It might have missed me. Not sure! I went outside, and nothing yet. Doesn't seem as wild. But I am hearing THUNDER!! :dance: <~~~ rain dance

Weatherman on TV says officially 101 here today, with heat index 115. That 101 is out at the airport, but 104 in town.

Yep. I'm jealous. Current temp 102...
Ditto on both counts. At least the dewpoint has been below 65 so the heat index has been almost tolerable.

Just calculated that from 4 PM yesterday to 4 PM today, we used 45 KWh of electricity.

Last edited:
We had a quick 5 minute rain shower about an hour ago, and with the cloud cover, it dropped from 100 to 89...

Looking at my records, I averaged 61 kWH/day in Sept 07... It's usually fifty-something from July to Oct.

Just went outside and got a drop of water on my face - - one drop only, but it sure felt good. Still no rain but it sure is trying.

Just heard on the news that the 104 in town (at Audubon Park) was the highest temperature for any date ever in history, in New Orleans. Previously the record was 103 which was in August of some prior year.

Ditto on both counts. At least the dewpoint has been below 65 so the heat index has been almost tolerable.

Just calculated that from 4 PM yesterday to 4 PM today, we used 45 KWh of electricity.

I average just over 50KWh/day for 5 months in the winter but the summers I average just under 10KWh/day. I haven't even been tempted to turn the fan on let alone the A/C even though it's been in the 90's and muggy. I live 3/4 under ground and I also sit around in just my boxers and t-shirt so i'm comfortable. Winters are a whole lot worse than summers IMHO.

This is starting to be ridiculous.
the continuing heat wave that sent Houston’s temperature to 104 degrees Wednesday, the hottest it's ever gotten in June.

The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory until 7 p.m. today for all of southeast Texas. Houston's high is forecast to hit 101 today, which would be a third straight record, breaking another mark set in the historically hot summer of 1980.

And the abnormally severe heat -- yes, even for Houston -- is not expected to abate through the next 10 days or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom