This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't even have gas here. When we bought the place, the kitchen and water heater were all electric, so when we added central heat we opted for a heat pump. We did that mostly because it rarely gets cold enough here to force the very expensive "emergency" electric-resistance heat strips to kick in, and because it would cost us about $12 a month just to have a gas account even if we didn't use ANY. Given that we'd only need gas for heating and we only need heating 4-5 months a year, it made economic sense to use a heat pump rather than conventional A/C and a gas furnace.
I'm glad it's working for you.:)

When we were in southeast MO many moons ago, we lived in a duplex with a heat pump. It did not work well in the summer. But, like I said that was a long time ago and perhaps the brand was crappy....

It's amazing how many things humankind has learned to do with science, and we can't get a stupid big high pressure system to move to a place that doesn't want any more rain... :)

Don't worry - - we have two or three more months for it to rise. Mine was only $74.40, but it was automatically deducted from my bank account on June 17th so I am expecting the next one to go up.

It did. The amount to be deducted on July 16th is $87.56 :( Oh well, could be worse and probably will be, next month.

Got my first "summer" electric bill. It wasn't as bad as I thought....

Got my first summer electric bill. It was $46.06. Wish it were summer all year. Winter averages about $175/mo with moderate suffering while summer's under $50/mo with less suffering. This is for a 860sq ft condo.

Ok...I'll fess up...my bill was $271. It was about $20 more this year than this time last year. I can't sleep hot. :p

Our last electric bill was $134. That was down about $24 from same period last summer. Elec. bill includes a separate security light account, and we also run some outside lights, and a 2 HP pool pump some hours each day. We have the house split into a main area, and a bedroom wing. Each area has it's own furnace/AC. The thermostat temps swap back and forth day/night.

Our water heating is gas, clothes dryer is gas. Last gas bill was $18, almost all of that was fixed costs, very little gas used this time of year.

I assume you have a ceiling fan in there to help out!

I'm curious how many KWH you used on that $271 bill. Ours was 970 total. I should be getting another electric bill in a week or so.

Our last electric bill was $134. That was down about $24 from same period last summer. Elec. bill includes a separate security light account, and we also run some outside lights, and a 2 HP pool pump some hours each day. We have the house split into a main area, and a bedroom wing. Each area has it's own furnace/AC. The thermostat temps swap back and forth day/night.

Our water heating is gas, clothes dryer is gas. Last gas bill was $18, almost all of that was fixed costs, very little gas used this time of year.

I assume you have a ceiling fan in there to help out!

I'm curious how many KWH you used on that $271 bill. Ours was 970 total. I should be getting another electric bill in a week or so.
Just looked at my bill online. I used 2060 KWH. The funny thing is, my neighbor's bill is usually $150 more than mine; her house is about the same size as mine and she's at w*rk all day. :confused:

Yeah, I've got six ceiling fans that help out a lot. I've got five skylights that are nice, but they can make it a little toasty at times...

I used 2060 KWH.

There's your problem. Maybe you can make a game of trying to reduce your kWh to 1500 for a while. Think of all the money you could save in a year if you got used to lower usage. :)

There's your problem. Maybe you can make a game of trying to reduce your kWh to 1500 for a while. Think of all the money you could save in a year if you got used to lower usage. :)
It's also a function of home size, of course -- one reason I'm liking our small, spartan digs. We used about 1200 kWh last month despite almost every day being over 100 and the A/C (3-ton, 14 SEER) being on almost constantly. We had the ceiling fans whirring and the thermostat at 78-80 most of the time.

Looking forward to a week of getting away from this in about three weeks' time.

Last edited:
Nah..ain't gonna sweat to save a few dollars. If I can't afford the utility bill and am uncomfortable in my own home, I'll go back to work.

Nah..ain't gonna sweat to save a few dollars. If I can't afford the utility bill and am uncomfortable in my own home, I'll go back to work.
That would be like asking me to turn off my hot tub in the winter. :nonono:
There's nothing like catching snowflakes on your tongue in 30 degree weather, up to your neck in hot water. :D

That would be like asking me to turn off my hot tub in the winter. :nonono:
There's nothing like catching snowflakes on your tongue in 30 degree weather, up to your neck in hot water. :D
I hear ya sistah! Once, there was a thread about what you would not scrimp on. For me it was A/C, food and sheets. Nothin' like dining on steak, then later sliding into pristine sheets with the A/C on full blast... I like my bedroom cool and my sheets smooooooooth. ;)

Ohhhh, a hot tub sounds wonderful too.....

I hear ya sistah! Once, there was a thread about what you would not scrimp on. For me it was A/C, food and sheets. Nothin' like dining on steak, then later sliding into pristine sheets with the A/C on full blast... I like my bedroom cool and my sheets smooooooooth. ;)

Ohhhh, a hot tub sounds wonderful too.....
That hot tub was originally bought as a home hydrotherapy unit for my RSI (repetitive strain injury) in my upper body.
The pain relief I get from using it is priceless. Cheaper than hands-on massage therapy! :D

6 ceiling fans? I don't even have 6 rooms!
Well, one of them is on the patio. :) However, I need to get another one for the master bathroom...but I don't have a ladder tall enough to install it. Living in TX, ceiling fans are a must...especially for me. :p

Pretty typical summer weather here.
weather.jpg

6 ceiling fans? I don't even have 6 rooms!

I thought that sounded like a lot until I realized that I have six ceiling fans in my house, too!

1. Kitchen
2. den
3. living/dining room
4. guest bedroom
5. other guest bedroom
6. covered patio.

They sure add up fast. I don't often use any but the one in the den. It came in REALLY handy during the hot weather a couple of weeks ago, when my A/C was going constantly and still wasn't keeping up.

Last edited:
I thought that sounded like a lot until I realized that I have six ceiling fans in my house, too!
We have four. Of course, that's every room except the bathroom in this house: living room, kitchen and two bedrooms...

[edit: Make that 6. I forgot about two above the front porch. Though technically I was right, there ARE four of them *in* my house...]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom