Those folks who ask for money in front of supermarkets

Here we have Real Change, a weekly newspaper that mostly homeless people can sell. They pay 35 cents for a paper they sell at $1. These people are usually to always clean and sober appearing. I think if they were not they could lose the privilege of selling it. The paper is typical urban progressive, so not exactly to my taste, but I buy one a week anyway.

One black guy who sells them at Trader Joe is a real performer- and I mean that as a complimant. He has more friends than anyone else in the city I think. He is always upbeat, he is emotionally warm- and all this from a guy who sleeps on a peice of cardboard. But he is enterprising. He got some shop owner out in the North City to allow him to sleep in a protected spot, in return he sweeps the area every morning. He's got some girlfriend, and on his days off they take a bus to see a movie somewhere at a $1.50 matinee.

Another woman that sells Real Change I have known for a few years. Recently she was diagnosed with lung cancer. I suppose she could be conning me, but she is down to what looks like about 85 pounds on a 5'6"frame, and she can hardly beath, so I think she is for real. She says they won't operate on her until she weighs 90#- so I bought her a case of one of those liquid meals. When I don't see her for while, I fear that she is dead, but so far she always shows up again.

If I walk 1/2 mile, I will be panhandled 4-5 times, if I am walking where there are a lot of stores and people. I am alway respectful to these people because they have life that I could hardly imagine dealing with.

I don't encounter aggressive beggars often at all, and if I do I keep walking.

Ha

That reminds me of this one time - About 10 years ago, my SO and I were at a local dive bar and this homeless guy showed up and sat next to my SO and ordered a drink. I've seen it several times downdown asking for money from people. His hair and clothes were dirty and smelled (he was probably in his 40's), but he had a brand new pair of sneakers on. I was a little apprehensive, but this guy was happy and very cordial. My SO and he started talking. (Well, my SO was just listening.) He said he was an alcoholic, tried rehab but it didn't work. He has been on the street for a few years. His parents lived in Milbrae and he did visit them once a year. His brand new sneakers were a gift from his sister. He did in fact sleep on the street and he said he knew exactly how much vodka to drink when he is sleeping (he said he kept a quart of vodka with him) so he won't get sick (something about withdrawal symptoms.) Actually, he bought my SO a drink! (My SO said, no, let me buy, but this guy was insistent.) I saw this guy a few more times downtown after this meeting. I gave him money every time and my SO did the same thing. He didn't recognize either of us though. He disappeared after about 6 months. I hope he is OK.

Long time residents of NW Portland may know this story: a family that lived up the street from up the street from us permitted a homeless man to find shelter in their garage. He was harmless and often kept an eye on their children as the years passed. The mother contracted a then untreatable cancer and eventually succumbed. When a wake was held he was included, the caterer almost kicked him out until others intervened. He was a fixture in the neighborhood. Several years later he was murdered by another homeless man and the neighborhood gathered for his wake.

Not all homeless or beggars are liars and cheats. Sometimes they are lost souls.

One more thing I was glad to get rid of when I ERed 3 years ago was the panhandling I encountered in New York's Penn Station as well as the nearby subways, PATH trains, and, later, when I worked in Jersey City (New Jersey), the food court at the Newport Center Mall.

There were many nooks and crannies in and around the subway stations in which homeless people set up. Sometimes, however, they blocked stairways, either with themselves or with huge piles of their junk or spilled food which made parts of the stairways impassible, causing bottlenecks for the commuters trying to get up or down the stairways in the stations. Then there was the stench of themselves and their food which was sickening, especially in the summertime when it got really hot in the stations.

On the subways, there would be an assortment of panhandlers, even though it was illegal on the subways or platforms. Most were not very aggressive but sometimes they were, with or without the stench. The commuter trains were usually free of the panhandlers because of the many conductors but when the trains were in Penn Station with the doors open for several minutes being boarded before departing, there were some panhandlers with their "stories" of needing a few dollars to get a ticket to get home. Yeah sure. I never saw anyone give them any money.

Meanwhile, at the Newport Mall's food court, it was not uncommon to have panhandlers go from table to table begging for money. This violated Mall policy, and when I was on my way out of the mall I sometimes stopped at the Mall management office and gave a description of the panhandler so their security team could find him and throw him out.

Just glad to be rid of that part of my annoying commute (along with all the cell phone yakkers on the trains, but that is for another thread at another time).

I've been hit up for the gas can thing and just need a few dollars for bus fare and so on countless times. I used to give, so maybe I still look like a mark. I'm not nearly so generous now. I've been assaulted and threatened when I was giving, and I've seen people I thought I was helping turn up drunk or drugged out the next day. I'll give through a recognized charity, but the one on one threats and intimidation have put me off any street donations. Last night I got approached inside a fast food restaurant by someone going table to table. First time I saw that. He didn't get what he wanted from the shocked diners, so he cursed us all out and left with rude gestures and sound effects.

I'm sorry for the hard life these people must have, but I don't feel like I have to take care of them or support their criminal behavior. I'm unhappy to be approached and asked to do so every time I venture out in public.

You just reminded me of a couple of things...

Yes, the guy who goes from table to table in a fast food place... the ones I see most are deaf and are selling pens... I am there eating and reading my book and I see a hand come from the side... scares the heck out of me if I had not seen them before...

As for the verbal assult.... this reminds me of a time when I was in NY... there were people who would get on a subway car and sing or do something and then go around and try and get money... this one morning this guy comes on and say 'HI' in a loud voice... nobody pays attention... he tries it again and again... then starts cursing at everybody since they were not paying attention to the guy... I think it took him two more stops to figure out that nobody cared what he said....

Now that I think about it... NY and London had a LOT of people trying to get money in the subway....

One more thing I was glad to get rid of when I ERed 3 years ago was the panhandling I encountered in New York's Penn Station as well as the nearby subways, PATH trains, and, later, when I worked in Jersey City (New Jersey), the food court at the Newport Center Mall.

There were many nooks and crannies in and around the subway stations in which homeless people set up. Sometimes, however, they blocked stairways, either with themselves or with huge piles of their junk or spilled food which made parts of the stairways impassible, causing bottlenecks for the commuters trying to get up or down the stairways in the stations. Then there was the stench of themselves and their food which was sickening, especially in the summertime when it got really hot in the stations.

On the subways, there would be an assortment of panhandlers, even though it was illegal on the subways or platforms. Most were not very aggressive but sometimes they were, with or without the stench. The commuter trains were usually free of the panhandlers because of the many conductors but when the trains were in Penn Station with the doors open for several minutes being boarded before departing, there were some panhandlers with their "stories" of needing a few dollars to get a ticket to get home. Yeah sure. I never saw anyone give them any money.

Meanwhile, at the Newport Mall's food court, it was not uncommon to have panhandlers go from table to table begging for money. This violated Mall policy, and when I was on my way out of the mall I sometimes stopped at the Mall management office and gave a description of the panhandler so their security team could find him and throw him out.

Just glad to be rid of that part of my annoying commute (along with all the cell phone yakkers on the trains, but that is for another thread at another time).

Had not read your post when I posted my previous.... yes, this brings back the memories of the smells... the other one that I can remember is the piss.... these guy would piss anywhere... so a lot of the subway areas smelled horrible...

I volunteered at a homeless shelter for several years and learned a great deal about the homeless. Some of the same shelter residents at night could be found out begging during the day.

We never gave them money at the shelter but we would give them vouchers, food, toiletries, gloves, and the like. I do the same thing when I see them on the streets. If they are not scammers, they will appreciate it.

I was laughing about the panhandling being OK on Sundays. I was actually sure it had something do with Sunday being the church day.

I guess you missed my point.

I guess I did miss your point about Sunday being church day. I was thinking that finally people are so sick of the panhandlers that they want them out of sight but since Sunday is on the books about legally selling newspapers, they had to leave that day open to permit those sales. Others have mentioned that the newspaper for the homeless is being ramped up as an assistance tool for the needy. I'm sure they will find a way around the law to expand the newspaper sales.

Others have mentioned that the beggars are getting agressive. One of these days a panhandler will run up to some car and get his a** shot because he was charging the vehicle. It's probably happened already.

I guess I did miss your point about Sunday being church day. I was thinking that finally people are so sick of the panhandlers that they want them out of sight but since Sunday is on the books about legally selling newspapers, they had to leave that day open to permit those sales. Others have mentioned that the newspaper for the homeless is being ramped up as an assistance tool for the needy. I'm sure they will find a way around the law to expand the newspaper sales.

Others have mentioned that the beggars are getting agressive. One of these days a panhandler will run up to some car and get his a** shot because he was charging the vehicle. It's probably happened already.

Or worse.... this happened a long time ago (maybe 20 years) where a panhandler killed someone... the guy was being aggressive and this guy did not acknowledge him and walked past... the panhandler hit him at the base of his head with something and killed the guy... I don't think they caught the panhandler either....

I am seeing more and more "regular" looking people asking for money. It was the first time yesterday that I saw someone with such a small baby (I never got close enough to her to see if it was in fact a baby she was holding or some wooden log wrapped in blanket.

I would think you can get government assistance especially when you have small children like that, but what do I know? (I should go back again tonight and read the sign..)

Or am I just being conned? (I'd rather prefer to be conned in this case.) I hear regular people becoming homeless or end up living in a car, etc, so maybe this is a sign of recession seeping through our neighborhood?

Kind of disheartening.
Right after Hurricane Katrina, my supermarket developed serious problems after dark with drug dealers doing business by the front door. So, we now have a rent-a-cop and real law enforcement both hanging around the front door.

Although there were plenty of legitimate panhandlers at the supermarket right after the storm, the constant law enforcement presence due to the drug dealing seems to have put an end to panhandling at that location.

I have been approached by panhandlers at gas stations, at the gym (!), and so on. I usually ignore them since most here do not appear genuine. For example, the one at the gym was drinking bottled water from the machine and was asking for money for Cheetos from the other machine. I don't drink water from that machine because it is too expensive, nor do I eat Cheetos (especially expensive ones from machines), so I didn't feel bad about turning her down.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it... NY and London had a LOT of people trying to get money in the subway....

Absolutely true. The two worst cities in the world for subway beggars, AFAIK. And the majority of them have been doing it for so long that they are really good at it.

But there is little need for that in most places. Where I live, there are many places that will give free food (groceries) to anyone who asks. I support them generously, which is why I'm not bothered when I refuse a panhandler.

Many if not most of the homeless street beggars have mental problems. I feel sorry for them, but how do we solve this problem? They cannot function like normal people, and cannot take care of themselves.

I don't think many would be so cold-hearted to want to shut down the soup kitchen to let the above starve, but beyond providing them with food and shelter, the latter they may refuse due to certain requirements and rules that they do not comply with, what else can we do? Do we lock them up in mental institutions?

And then, there are the not-homeless but scam artists who tell of heart-breaking personal catastrophes that leave them stranded. They have more clean-cut appeal, hence have good credibility. These do not ask for coin changes like the homeless street beggars, but can get more from a smaller number of passers-by. In a youtube video, I saw the story of a young woman who stood at a freeway off-ramp with a sign saying "Stranded - need money to get home" and told a sobbing story about being kicked out by a boyfriend to motorists and now need money to go 1000 miles home. The cameraman found out that she lived two blocks away in a normal home, went shopping the next morning in nice clothes, and changed into rags to go begging in the afternoon. By stopping and asking the people who gave her money, they estimated that she collected $50 per hour.

I am sure there are families who face financial hardship in this bad economy, but I think they would be appealing for help at various government agencies and charity organizations, and not be standing out in the streets.

My heart really goes out to the day laborers who stand at some street corners or near some Home Depot stores, waiting to be picked up for some menial work. Surely, they are likely to be illegal immigrants, but they are the ones willing to exchange some honest work for a few bucks. Does that count for anything anymore?

Last edited:
Very interesting reading for me...living in a small town just east of Nowhere NY in the snow belt may have some advantages after all. :cool:
It is very rare for me to see panhandlers in my area. I would guess the extreme cold is not conducive to voluntary beggars (scammers).

I do remember being very rapidly approached in the parking lot of a fast food place when I was on travel to TX for w*rk. I had just gotten out of the rental car. This guy appeared out of nowhere and got right in my face.
I don't scare easily, and I gave him a good dose of Noo Yawker, verbally with a very strong body language stance. He backed off immediately. :LOL:

Last edited:
Do we lock them up in mental institutions?
Well, I don't know where you might find a mental institution. Most of them were closed in the 60s in favor of using psychoactive drugs for these impaired populations.

Ha

Very interesting reading for me...living in a small town just east of Nowhere NY in the snow belt may have some advantages after all. :cool:
It is very rare for me to see panhandlers in my area. I would guess the extreme cold is not conducive to voluntary beggars (scammers).

I do remember being very rapidly approached in the parking lot of a fast food place when I was on travel to TX for w*rk. I had just gotten out of the rental car. This guy appeared out of nowhere and got right in my face.
I don't scare easily, and I gave him a good dose of Noo Yawker, verbally with a very strong body language stance. He backed off immediately. :LOL:

Haven't seen it, because I have no compelling reason to visit, but my old hometown apparently has such a problem with crystal meth and oxycontin that there are now street [-]hookers[/-] walkers. This is a town of around 4500 people...

Right after Hurricane Katrina, my supermarket developed serious problems after dark with drug dealers doing business by the front door. So, we now have a rent-a-cop and real law enforcement both hanging around the front door.

Although there were plenty of legitimate panhandlers at the supermarket right after the storm, the constant law enforcement presence due to the drug dealing seems to have put an end to panhandling at that location.

I have been approached by panhandlers at gas stations, at the gym (!), and so on. I usually ignore them since most here do not appear genuine. For example, the one at the gym was drinking bottled water from the machine and was asking for money for Cheetos from the other machine. I don't drink water from that machine because it is too expensive, nor do I eat Cheetos (especially expensive ones from machines), so I didn't feel bad about turning her down.

During my only visit to NO, I was accosted on Bourbon Street by a couple of punks trying to shine my tennis shoes. We finally shook them when we ducked into a shop.

My heart really goes out to the day laborers who stand at some street corners or near some Home Depot stores, waiting to be picked up for some menial work. Surely, they are likely to be illegal immigrants, but they are the ones willing to exchange some honest work for a few bucks. Does that count for anything anymore?

I guess you don't have anywhere as many as we do...

There is a section of road where the day laborers (and yes, most are illegal) line up... about a one mile section that has HUNDREDS of them sitting around... the place is trashed out and the shop owners have to live with it... from what I understand, their rate is $10/HR, so it is not like they are being cheated...

They have made it so we do not want to take our business to any of these shops... so yes, I can complain about them also...

PS... this is not at a Home Depot... just close to the apartments where they live...

During my only visit to NO, I was accosted on Bourbon Street by a couple of punks trying to shine my tennis shoes. We finally shook them when we ducked into a shop.

Oh, well, Bourbon Street.... I wouldn't even count them as panhandlers. They were just trying to score some money off the rich tourist. You're lucky they didn't bop you over the head and steal your wallet once you went around the corner. That was smart to duck into the shop and get rid of them.

I haven't been to Bourbon Street for decades, actually. It's not my cup of tea (or, er, bourbon? :LOL:)

Here in Canada I see homeless people living in the street yet there are shelters the take them in and feed them as well as give them a roof over there head........for free. Only problem is there are conditions and restrictions such as, help out in the kitchen, clean up etc, yet some still decide to live on the street since they say "there are too many restrictions". Sooooooooooooo they beg for money. Tell me if I understand this correctly, our taxes pay for there free food and shelter and if they decide they don't want to help out I should give out more money to them on the streets so they can live a different lifestyle. Am I missing something?

Oh Please!

Oh, well, Bourbon Street.... I wouldn't even count them as panhandlers. They were just trying to score some money off the rich tourist. You're lucky they didn't bop you over the head and steal your wallet once you went around the corner. That was smart to duck into the shop and get rid of them.

I haven't been to Bourbon Street for decades, actually. It's not my cup of tea (or, er, bourbon? :LOL:)
Bourbon Street is the place where I tried to leave a bar at about 4:30 one morning to walk back to my hotel. People shouted, "NO!", a couple of them actually threw themselves between me and the door.

Explanation: "You'll never make it. They'll find your body somewhere after the sun comes up."

So I went back to partying.

But by 6 I decided I had enough. My hotel was only a block away, I had to get ready for my 10 am meeting, and I had a gun. Obviously I survived, but that moment when half the bar rushed to keep me from going outside was just way too weird. I've felt safer leaving bars in Matamoros or Piedras Negras at 4 in the morning (wasn't carrying a gun there).

The panhandlers on Bourbon Street are very aggressive, but at least they offer some entertainment. The stuff they come up with to con money out of tourists is hilarious. "Mister, I bet you $20 I can tell you what the last thing you take off is before you go to bed." Answer: "You take your feet off the floor. Now give me my $20!"

Apparently the con men are all recently released from the state farm at Angola, and after a certain hour they stop conning and start robbing. Thus the attempts to keep wayward tourists alive by preventing them from leaving the bar at 0430.

Last edited:

I believe I have shared this story on here before. We were out shopping for the day with our family. My observant six year old asked why that group of men were standing next to Lowe's. I said they are looking for work for the day hoping to earn enough money to feed their family and pay for their needs. We finish our shopping and go to Walmart.

On the way out of the walmart parking lot, there is a presumably able bodied person begging for money in the middle of the walmart driveway. My daughter then asks if she is looking for work like the other people at Lowe's. My response was "no, she just wants some of your money and isn't looking for work".

Good life lesson for my daughter (work hard if you want money, don't look to others for handouts). Although in reality, I bet the beggar got more money than those looking for actual work. The day laborers may not have been hired at all, hence earning $0 for the day. The walmart beggar at least got something.

Haven't seen it, because I have no compelling reason to visit, but my old hometown apparently has such a problem with crystal meth and oxycontin that there are now street [-]hookers[/-] walkers. This is a town of around 4500 people...
There have been several busts (recently) of meth labs in sleepy little towns in upstate NY. Small towns seem to be the location of choice, the type with big open fields and a building that looks rundown from the outside.

The reason I did the brass Noo Yawker thing with this guy was based on something I learned from a retired cop who taught a self defense class.
A meek woman wil always be robbed and/or abducted. :(
A strongly stanced loud mouth woman has half a chance to
a) draw attention from passersby (witnesses), and
b) make it look like it ain't worth the trouble to try to drag her away.

Panhandler or not, I treat any type of space invasion as a threat and respond accordingly, at loud volume and with aggressive body language. Better I go down fighting on the spot than as a victim.

Last edited:
Maybe there should be a certification program for panhandlers. They have an interview and if they can show that have a legitimate reason for begging, they get a card that they can wear around their neck. I'm half serious.

Maybe there should be a certification program for panhandlers. They have an interview and if they can show that have a legitimate reason for begging, they get a card that they can wear around their neck. I'm half serious.

Actually Al, I think this is a great idea . I would gladly give money to people in real need but how can we know if it's a scam or they really need the money ?

Back
Top Bottom