Tiger in a pile of p/r poop.............

I think Tiger's life details are about as important as Paula Abdul's.

Ha

One of the shows on the speech had a body language expert on analyzing him. She said he was "robotic" and she didn't see any sincerity there as he had absolutely no facial expression at all. She said she didn't believe him, and she bet Elin didn't either. She really wasn't buying his apology.
Personally, I felt it had to be humiliating for him...and that he will be back swinging with the babes within the year. Sorry to be so pessimistic.....or totally realistic about this.

Things I've learned from Tigerpalooza in the last six months:

If you do something wrong, an apology can never erase that fact and it may not be accepted whether heartfelt or not.
Yeah, but covering it up with an "accident" followed by a period of denial doesn't make it more likely it will be accepted. What *does* make an apology more likely to be accepted is a belief that the apology really was sincere and heartfelt and not just "spin," damage control or for PR purposes.

I think back to Watergate -- what Nixon's people did wasn't right, but it wasn't that uncommon and (in the grand scheme) perhaps not even that serious. Dirty politics, but not several standard deviations outside the norm. And it was the cover-up and misuse of government resources to cover it up which was the "bigger deal" that accelerated his downfall.

Sometimes how you react to screwing up speaks more about your character than the original screw-up. Good people make mistakes. People with character own it rather than try to sweep it under the rug; they admit their mistakes, apologize as necessary, make amends where possible and vow to learn from it so they don't repeat it.

Yeah, but covering it up with an "accident" followed by a period of denial doesn't make it more likely it will be accepted. What *does* make an apology more likely to be accepted is a belief that the apology really was sincere and heartfelt and not just "spin," damage control or for PR purposes.

I think back to Watergate -- what Nixon's people did wasn't right, but it wasn't that uncommon and (in the grand scheme) perhaps not even that serious. Dirty politics, but not several standard deviations outside the norm. And it was the cover-up and misuse of government resources to cover it up which was the "bigger deal" that accelerated his downfall.

Sometimes how you react to screwing up speaks more about your character than the original screw-up. Good people make mistakes. People with character own it rather than try to sweep it under the rug; they admit their mistakes, apologize as necessary, make amends where possible and vow to learn from it so they don't repeat it.

Examples please of those instances where a heartfelt apology was accepted by all?

Examples please of those instances where a heartfelt apology was accepted by all?
Looking back, I don't see where I ever said something would be accepted by *all* people; of course that will never happen. I merely said that seeming truly sincere and contrite would make it more likely for people to accept your apology. Seems fairly "common-sensical" to me, and nowhere did I say anything about "all".

Last edited:
Looking back, I don't see where I ever said something would be accepted by *all* people; of course that will never happen. I merely said that seeming truly sincere and contrite would make it more likely for people to accept your apology. Seems fairly "common-sensical" to me, and nowhere did I say anything about "all".

Fair enough, and no apology would be accepted by all regardless of the path one followed in atoning for transgressions. Many people are on the record as believing Tiger was truly sincere and contrite in his apology, and many are on the opposite side of the fence.

Personally I don't believe him and I don't not believe him--he could be truly sincere and contrite, he could be a lying sack of sh*t. How would we know?

I was hoping he'd gaze sincerely into the camera and say "I didn't have sex with those women.......") :LOL:

I do find it amazing that folks who are not financially impacted by the business implications of Tiger's capers give a s*hit. He did apologize to his employees for reducing the business effectiveness of "Tiger, Inc." Other than those folks, who cares? Tiger is just one of millions of guys and gals who screw around on their spouses every year.

I was at lunch with former cow*rkers when it was being broadcast "live" on Friday. The large screen (52" I'm guessing) TV sound was off with close captioning on.
Being an avid observer of people's body language to begin with, I give him an "A" for effort but a huge "F" for sincerity.
Nice try but no cigar...:nonono:

Reminds me of Robert McNamara trying to apologize for his conduct and execution of the Vietnam War...

Can't remember if Jane Fonda ever apologized for her conduct. I think the closest she came was to complain about anorexia.

I was hoping he'd gaze sincerely into the camera and say "I didn't have sex with those women.......") :LOL:

I do find it amazing that folks who are not financially impacted by the business implications of Tiger's capers give a s*hit. He did apologize to his employees for reducing the business effectiveness of "Tiger, Inc." Other than those folks, who cares? Tiger is just one of millions of guys and gals who screw around on their spouses every year.

No kidding that he's just one of millions.
When this came on tv all I could think of was what a waste of tv broadcast time.

Being an avid observer of people's body language to begin with, I give him an "A" for effort but a huge "F" for sincerity.
Nice try but no cigar...:nonono:

He appeared almost as sincere as Michael Vick. Another great role model for the kids.

I don't see the point in a public apology. I couldn't care less what he does, and the ONLY person he owes an apology to is his wife.

Not to make a to fine of a point on the spin way back... but he actually said (the real quote)... "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."... and if you actually read the definitions... he did not... I still think he lied and cheated, just like Tiger lied and cheated... One was a abuse of power, the other just consenting adults doing what they do...

I thought Tiger Woods looked terrified, like he was living his worst nightmare. I think he also looked like he had been medicated, probably for that reason.

On the other hand, I really don't think his sexual habits are any of my business. Whether he works things out with Elin, or not, is not really my business either even if he does play great golf.

In my opinion he needs to stop talking about his sex life and get back to some intensive golf. Elin may leave him, but golf will remain.

Not to make a to fine of a point on the spin way back... but he actually said (the real quote)... "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."... and if you actually read the definitions... he did not... I still think he lied and cheated, just like Tiger lied and cheated... One was a abuse of power, the other just consenting adults doing what they do...

My quote marks were to indicate what I was hoping Tiger would say. No reference to any [-]hysterical[/-] historical figure was implied or intended. :cool:

My husband was of the opinion that Tiger should have traveled with his family, I don't think he understands how disruptive that can be for children. I think he should have cut back his schedule and spent more time at home.

However, some men feel they are entitled to sex when and how they want it. They do not see a sexual relationship in the context of a loving relationship that requires the balancing desires of both parties. Sexual selfishness is a personality flaw, or perhaps better described as immaturity.

For everyone that says the apology was completely insincere and not heartfelt. (I didn't watch it) Isn't that pretty much how Tiger has come across any time you have ever seen him interviewed, he just seems emotionless, going through the motions. Maybe the guy is just a socially awkward jerk who, but for his money and fame, nobody but his mother really enjoys being around...

For everyone that says the apology was completely insincere and not heartfelt. (I didn't watch it) Isn't that pretty much how Tiger has come across any time you have ever seen him interviewed, he just seems emotionless, going through the motions. Maybe the guy is just a socially awkward jerk who, but for his money and fame, nobody but his mother really enjoys being around...

I think your comments match what I'm seeing in terms of peer support. His peers have by and large left Tiger hanging. Very little "rallying around" other than the folks who worry about the gravy train he powers.

I play a lot of golf in San Diego and nobody seems to wish the guy well, so your comment about "socially arrogant jerk" is likely close to accurate.

I think your comments match what I'm seeing in terms of peer support. His peers have by and large left Tiger hanging. Very little "rallying around" other than the folks who worry about the gravy train he powers.

I play a lot of golf in San Diego and nobody seems to wish the guy well, so your comment about "socially arrogant jerk" is likely close to accurate.

I pretty much agree. But you would be amazed how many people support him on golf message boards. Yes, I'm a golf fanatic.:blush:

I pretty much agree. But you would be amazed how many people support him on golf message boards. Yes, I'm a golf fanatic.:blush:

Yes, but (with all due respect) the folks on the golf boards most likely don't know Tiger.
He's been told he was a "genius" since he was just out of toddlerhood, so I can only assume he is an isolated, aloof, arrogant, totally narcissistic guy. What else could he be with the life he's led so far?
Tiger's two buddies were Charles Barkley and another basketball champ (forgot who), and Tiger cut them off when this happened from what I saw on tv as Barkley was saying he couldn't get Tiger on the cell as the number was disconnected.
Tiger pretty much explained why he felt entitled to cheat in his speech. Seems pretty accurate to me that he felt "entitled" due to having worked so hard all his life.That's not saying it's right, tho.
The life of a wunderkind HAS to be an unreal/abnormal one: no playing baseball with the guys after school, no prom, no Boy Scouts, etc. He didn't get the normal socialization most of us get as he was always with adults for most of his life. Where's the typical "boy stuff" in his life? Seems he did make lots of sacrifices to be the great athlete he became (and I'm talking about on an emotional/social level of life).

I don't know. To be as consistently great as he is, especially under pressure, I think there must be some "mental training" going on to make you more, well, "robotic" (for lack of a better term) or more like a Vulcan from Star Trek. In any event, maybe Tiger has "trained the emotion" out of himself to some extent to help make him a better golfer less prone to choking in the clutch?

I don't know. To be as consistently great as he is, especially under pressure, I think there must be some "mental training" going on to make you more, well, "robotic" (for lack of a better term) or more like a Vulcan from Star Trek. In any event, maybe Tiger has "trained the emotion" out of himself to some extent to help make him a better golfer less prone to choking in the clutch?

Sounds right to me. That would make the act of sex all the more "freeing" for Tiger emotionally I should think...not condoning what he did, by the way.

I wonder if a lot of that support is because he truly is THE face of the sport right now. If you recall Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player, it was often a 3-way split as to who the fan's favorite was. But Tiger is basically all there is. Mickelson, Els, etc are just not sexy enough.

I have two golfing buddies who play every day if they can, one (who has never met Tiger) would lick the grass clippings off Tiger's shoes on the 18th hole of Augusta and the other (who has met Tiger a few times) would not wet down his face if it were on fire.

So I suspect knowing him up close is not to love him. And for the reasons Orchidflower mentions, he must be a very contrived personage.

Back
Top Bottom