to sell or not to sell: Jarts

It makes you wonder how children ever survived the pioneer days of early America.
When they were busy helping with farm work while watching out for Indian attacks, they did not have time to play lawn darts.

Has anyone ever known of someone that was actually HURT with these? I loved them as a kid and I think they were great.

Yeah, I can't remember who the thrower was, but I have a vivid memory of blood streaming down a friend's back when I was about 8 years old.

Speaking of Jarts and banned 'fun' from the past, thought you might enjoy this web page: 8 Reasons Children of the 1970s Should All Be Dead - Flashbak:)

I agree with some of it but not most. I had a farm job where they just told us to get into the back of a pickup (along with our sharpened hoes) and a college kid drove 70 miles an hour from field t field. Not a pleasant memory. Most of this behavior in the article deserved to be outlawed.

I just received an email from AMAZON selling these supposed banned garden darts. They are called Giant Garden Darts and they will ship from UK to a USA address. :confused:

Garden Games Giant Garden Darts - 3 Games in 1
by ToyMarket

Price:$27.87
Ships from and sold by Ledbury Games Ltd UK.

Using the "roll over to zoom in" feature at amazon, these have much blunter tips than what I recall seeing as a youngster. That would alleviate a good deal of the risks--unless one were to sharpen them up!

Jarts were minor league in our neighborhood (though we did play Jarts alot). We played with something like this:

Amazon.com : Long Handled Dandelion Weeder

as a spear and chucked it at trees. One time a friend has behind the tree and stepped out from behind it just as I missed the tree and the "spear" went right into his leg. He's OK, but did get to visit the hospital. Excitement.

They haven't banned weeders yet, nor apparently these either:

Amazon.com : Gill Athletics Boy's Tru-Flight Javelin

Yes, we were 100% free range children. Just had to be home at dusk at night.

You know there has to be some adventure and risk in growing up. Otherwise kids now a days will be so unprepared for the risks of daily life that they will need a "safe place"
Wait, I think I just proved my point....

Being born in the 1980's, I wasn't sure what a jart was. My best guess was "farts in a jar". Hey, you folks did all kinds of weird stuff in the 1970's.

Send me a photo of the Jart box. I'll put it on eBay with a reserve of $10,000 and see how high the bids go, LOL! If the authorities come after me, I'll say I don't even have a set, and it's just an eBay infraction. It's way too easy to be a criminal in this day and age.

Speaking of Jarts and banned 'fun' from the past, thought you might enjoy this web page: 8 Reasons Children of the 1970s Should All Be Dead - Flashbak:)

That was funny and experienced it all but the second hand smoke. What didn't kill you, made you tougher is how we were brought up. Machismo is not totally dead though. Saw a funny split picture the other day on internet, titled "Who would you rather have leading your country". Had a bare chested Mr. Putin in the wildness with Mr. Obama on a bicycle with a safety helmut on his head. And no that was not a political comment! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 8 out of 8. Still alive and well.

Hopefully you procreated in your prime years, PB. You passed the social darwinism test with flying colors!!!...Yours is the type of breed-stock society needs to carry forward in a meaningful manner. How are we supposed to know with this generation? :)

I'm 8 out of 8. Still alive and well.

+1
And I think about all the Boy Scout camping trips where 20-30 boys of 11 or 12 years of age were all carrying large sheath knives and often a hatchet on their belts. Sloppy hatchet work to make kindling for campfires. Swimming across large lakes with no lifeguards around just because.

A very different world, wasn't it?

+1

And I think about all the Boy Scout camping trips where 20-30 boys of 11 or 12 years of age were all carrying large sheath knives and often a hatchet on their belts. Sloppy hatchet work to make kindling for campfires. Swimming across large lakes with no lifeguards around just because.

Yes it was....Do something stupid then it was your fault, do something stupid now, it is someone else's fault....Of course some simple safety changes have been added that should boggle the mind why it wasn't used back then.

Send me a photo of the Jart box. I'll put it on eBay with a reserve of $10,000 and see how high the bids go, LOL! If the authorities come after me, I'll say I don't even have a set, and it's just an eBay infraction. It's way too easy to be a criminal in this day and age.

Ebay will pull it in minutes. I'm almost sorry I posted this. I destroyed both sets last weekend. No way am I being part of a lawsuit.

+1

Yes and we all remember watching Davy Crockett and others on TV throwing knives and hatchets, so we all practiced that on our scout trips. I got pretty good at throwing my hatchet, not so good with my knife though. On our scout camp outs we were pretty much left to do what we wanted most of the day. Make our own fires, cook our own food, etc. Where I grew up our scout leaders were all Marines or ex Marines, so we were not expected to be watched over all the time. Actually never. :) A great time to be a kid!

+1

It sure was.. ruled by the law of natural consequences. If you carried a sharp knife carelessly and injured yourself it was your own stupid fault, not the fault of the knife manufacturer, the retailer who sold it, or the troop leaders. Ditto for other stuff.

Now that said... I concede that there is a bit of good fortune in my being alive today given some of the stupid sh!t stuff that I did in my youth (and I was reserved compared to many). Drunk driving, bb gun fights, etc. (statute of limitations is over) Not only that... I never really even got hurt... no broken bones or anything like that.

If my kids even thought of doing some of the things I did I would have a cow.

+1
But OTOH they didn't have to walk three miles in the snow to school, uphill both ways.

All kidding aside, my father took me to visit his family in rural Illinois when I was about 14 years old, and we stayed in his old house where his mother still lived so I got to see that part.

He had always told me about walking three miles to school and I was kind of skeptical, but he showed me his school and it really was about three miles away. No buses in those days, of course, just narrow country roads. The remarkable thing to me was that it was actually a one room schoolhouse, just like he said. He was skipped twice because he was smart, so he only had six years of grade school, and high school was out of the question so that was it for him. He was born a couple of years before the Sopwith Camel was designed and died long after men had walked on the Moon.

Looking back, it has been such an incredible time that I realize I can't even imagine what it will be like when our kids are our age. Simply impossible to extrapolate from our experience.

It sure was.. ruled by the law of natural consequences. If you carried a sharp knife carelessly and injured yourself it was your own stupid fault, not the fault of the knife manufacturer, the retailer who sold it, or the troop leaders. Ditto for other stuff.

Now that said... I concede that there is a bit of good fortune in my being alive today given some of the stupid sh!t stuff that I did in my youth (and I was reserved compared to many). Drunk driving, bb gun fights, etc. (statute of limitations is over) Not only that... I never really even got hurt... no broken bones or anything like that.

Ah yes, the drunk BB gun fights. The good old days.

Back
Top Bottom