Today is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY Is January 21: Are You Ready?

Of course I thought of Khan on learning of this.:) We put old bits of bread and bird food out for our local squirrels. We have the standard grey ones around here. I have seen one unusual one lately with the standard grey fur and white ears. I'll try to get a picture sometime. In any event, I think this is cause for celebration!

Attachments

• Squirrel.jpg
    Squirrel.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 131
At our house we tell the squirrels when we fill the [-]squirrel [/-] birdfeeders, every day is squirrel appreciation day!

I'm just not a squirrel hugger.
My shepherd-lab mix Bruno is NEVER close to being able to catch, but is allowed to chase, the never-ending squirrels on my birdfeeder.
If I see the little varmints munching away, I open the back door a crack and announce
"Better RUN, Squirrel".
I count slowly to 5 to give them a chance to escape.
Then I release the hounds, Mr. Burns style (Simpsons).
If I say "Better RUN, Squirrel" in the house, the dog goes bonzo.:LOL:

I'm just not a squirrel hugger.
My shepherd-lab mix Bruno is NEVER close to being able to catch, but is allowed to chase, the never-ending squirrels on my birdfeeder.
If I see the little varmints munching away, I open the back door a crack and announce
"Better RUN, Squirrel".
I count slowly to 5 to give them a chance to escape.
Then I release the hounds, Mr. Burns style (Simpsons).
If I say "Better RUN, Squirrel" in the house, the dog goes bonzo.:LOL:

"Better run squirrel,
You're much too young squirrel.

Run squirrel,
Get off of my lawn
Bruno is chasing
You better be gone"

"Better run squirrel,

Run squirrel,
Get off of my lawn
Bruno is chasing
You better be gone"
:LOL:
ask me sometime (in the late spring) what I do to squirrels who try to eat my strawberries and blackberries. it does not involve killing.

The best way to show appreciation...

Squirrel Stew

~ 10 squirrels
~ 2 cups corn
~ 1 lb. bacon, chopped
~ 5 lb. potatoes, diced
~ 2 qt. tomatoes
~ 3 lb. onions
~ 2 lb. lima beans
~ 1 cup chopped celery
~ 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
~ salt & pepper to taste
~ flour

Put the squirrels in a large pan. Cover half way with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the squirrels are tender.

Remove the squirrels from the stock. Set the stock aside. Remove the meat from the bones.

Return the meat to the stock and add the corn, bacon, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, beans, celery, salt & pepper, and worcestershire sauce.

Cook for 2 hours stirring occasionally.

To thicken the stew add a small amount of flour mixed with water. Simmer 20 - 30 minutes longer

Serve with buttermilk biscuits.

Other recipes on request...

Who will vote for a National Squirrel Hugging Day?
:D
Sort of like the Presidents' Day idea.

Never been able to hug a squirrel. They'll occasionally accept a peanut from me but that's about it.

I actually could pick one up while it was taking a peanut from my hand; but I know those teeth can open walnuts.

Squirrels love to hang around the snack bar at my country club. The snack bar is right next to the #10 tee and the smart little critters wait for the golfers to get on the tee and then they make their move. I don't know how many times I have seen one run off with a pack of crackers from someone's golf cart. I have learned to keep snacks in my golf bag until I'm ready to eat it. :blink:

I call them tree rats or targets depending on my mood. I celebrate regularly by shooting off my 12 gauge.

My rule is they can eat as much as they want off the ground under the bird feeders, but if they get on the feeders or the house it is time to load the gun. They do get gun shy and harder to get a clean shot as they run into the woods or take to the trees. All part of the sport.

Jeb

I call them tree rats or targets depending on my mood. I celebrate regularly by shooting off my 12 gauge.

My rule is they can eat as much as they want off the ground under the bird feeders, but if they get on the feeders or the house it is time to load the gun. They do get gun shy and harder to get a clean shot as they run into the woods or take to the trees. All part of the sport.

Jeb

This just in: Droves of Army Squirrels seen heading for Jeb's house:rolleyes:

Attachments

• army squirrel.jpg
    army squirrel.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1

I think 12ga is overkill; I like my 20ga with birdshot.

When my liberal friends get all freaked, I tell them this is basically
the same combination of weapon and ammo that Dick Cheney shot his
hunting partner with (i.e. not all that lethal to humans).

P.S. I "shoot to scare" most of the time.

"Better run squirrel,

Run squirrel,
Get off of my lawn
Bruno is chasing
You better be gone"
Speaking of the little devils...we had a warm spell and it brought the grey and red-brown bushy tailed varmints out.
Bruno got a heck of a w*rkout. :LOL:
These "lyrics" are now burned in my brain. :rolleyes:

Speaking of the little devils...we had a warm spell and it brought the grey and red-brown bushy tailed varmints out.
Bruno got a heck of a w*rkout. :LOL:
These "lyrics" are now burned in my brain. :rolleyes:

Didn't think of the ending until last night:

You better run squirrel,
Or you'll die young squirrel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom