Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Update.

We've had it for more than 3 weeks. So far no major problems. Couple of times where the sound and picture became slightly out of sync.

Programming selection really needs improving. If you walked into a blockbuster video at 10pm on a friday night, whats in there is pretty much what you get here. Lots of tv shows, B movies, older movies, kids stuff, etc.

So far thats working for me. They have the full seasons of a few tv shows I didnt catch the last few years. The kids stuff is quite good. And the remote is so simple that Gabe has already figured it out. And unlike the directv dvr's remote, he cant use it to reboot the box, delete our shows, or do any other destructive things. All you can realistically do is watch a show. You *can* remove a show from your watch-queue but it takes 2 seconds to put it back.

If Netflix ever gets the majority of their content on here, especially new releases, it'll be a really great product.

As far as the EEE, I finally got to see one in...ummm...the flesh. Way, way too small for me. Even the larger screen model had such a small screen and keyboard that I'd have no chance of reading it without holding it a foot from my face and after 15 minutes of attempted typing I gave up.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Programming selection really needs improving...If Netflix ever gets the majority of their content on here, especially new releases, it'll be a really great product.
They are weak on the more mainstream stuff being available for streaming, but I've been having a lot of fun going through foreign language films, foreign TV programs, and documentaries. I hope that by the time I've worked my way through those that NF has improved the rest of the selection.
Quote:
As far as the EEE, I finally got to see one in...ummm...the flesh. Way, way too small for me.
It's more of an auxiliary and travel device than something you would want to use all of the time.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I get that. I was looking for something I could throw in the car and haul along with us when we're buzzing around in case I needed to look something up or got a little bored at the park. I think a 12" would be the smallest usable form factor for me though.

My wifes ipod touch is pretty amusing. The screen is so dang small its almost impossible to use it for any sort of web browsing. But she gave it to Gabe to play with in a restaurant and they must have had an access point in the area since he opened her email and typed a gibberish reply to one of our friends.

I hope they improve the content but I suspect the holdup isnt technical, its licensing of the materials. Offering something for free unlimited downloads freaks out the content providers.

If anything they're going the other way. The studios just forced the sat and cable companies who offer DVR's to expire PPV movies 24 hours after you start watching it. You used to be able to buy and record and then watch as many times as you want.

The major league baseball package on directv is also doing that starting this season. 24 hours after the game is over, it stops being watchable.

If the NFL guys do that, I wont be laying out $300 for their sunday ticket package any more.

Allegedly in a few years the cable/sat companies are supposed to start enforcing content protection through the HDMI interface. Which means if you want to watch high definition content, it'll have to be through one of the more recent vintage HDMI tv sets. If you've got an old HDMI set that isnt fully compliant or one with component inputs, you're be SOL.

If these bozos spent half as much time making good movies as they do trying to keep people from seeing them, there might be something decent to watch on tv...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #24

Quote:
I hope they improve the content but I suspect the holdup isnt technical, its licensing of the materials. Offering something for free unlimited downloads freaks out the content providers.

If these bozos spent half as much time making good movies as they do trying to keep people from seeing them, there might be something decent to watch on tv...
I had my suspicions that the lack of material was something along those lines. I support the right of artists and producers to protect their material from the blatant thieves that steal and resell their work, but they have taken the wrong track with "protecting" themselves against people like me. It's really cheesed me off, and what makes it so ridiculous is that the stuff they're doing only "protects" them from guys like me who don't want to steal from them but only want to have ease of access to the stuff that they're paying for.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Wait until your new tv has to run linux and a complete content protection system that keeps you from doing anything naughty...

Actually I think a couple of high end sets do have a cpu and memory run a microkernel OS...I'll have to go dig into that, might be interesting...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yep, here we go...

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...technologyNews
Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I'm suspicious that all of this new breathtaking speed and capacity will come with a new and breathtaking price structure.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Looks like comcast is pondering a very workable 250GB per month limit, while some of the smaller cable and dsl companies are looking at 5GB limits.

Thats fine for web and email, but not for streaming video. I have a funny feeling theres going to be a nice class action suit against one of these internet providers for showing us 5 years of ads about how you can stream video, and then offering to cap and charge you extra for actually doing it...

Frankly for web and email stuff alone, I could probably get by with dialup.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The Roku box with netflix continues to be an excellent source of tv goodies for my son. He's hooked on the 70's series "Emergency!". Its certainly a whole lot more wholesome than the modern day firefighter shows like "Rescue Me"...Scooby Doo has also proven to be a big hit.

I was initially pleased with a lot of tv series offerings I hadnt seen....however...it seems that some of the show producers have taken series that were axed and left in cliffhangers, put those on DVD and released them for video on demand. NBC seems especially enamored of this maneuver.

So the little boogers got me to watch 15 episodes of one show, only to find that it just stopped with all the main characters about to be killed. Super. At least with that knowledge I managed to avoid watching two other series that also ended abruptly and without conclusions.

I had sort of figured that nobody would release material without an ending, but on reflection I guess it didnt really cost them anything to do.

And comcast has put in the 250GB monthly limit I mentioned in my last post. VOD services generally are about 1-3 GB per hour. I'd imagine that most households can get by with that limit, even watching everything 'on demand'.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #29

Quote:
The Roku box with netflix continues to be an excellent source of tv goodies for my son. He's hooked on the 70's series "Emergency!". Its certainly a whole lot more wholesome than the modern day firefighter shows like "Rescue Me"...Scooby Doo has also proven to be a big hit.
I wish Rescue Me was on there. I discovered that show recently in reruns on FX and have become a fan. Emergency is a good choice, and I wouldn't let the little Bunny watch Rescue Me. Well, not unless you want to expand his vocabulary in some new and interesting directions.

Netflix signed a deal with Disney and CBS that will expand the "Watch it Now" offerings.
Quote:
The agreements, covering television shows ranging from the crime series "CSI" to "Hannah Montana," will let Netflix subscribers watch the shows over the Internet a day after their original air dates on television...The deal with Netflix will eventually add about 500 older television episodes from the Disney Channel and 350 episodes from CBS.

Analysts predict television watchers will begin gravitating to online video from traditional television watching as technologies improve for getting Web video to the television set.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Given all the trouble we've had with our directv dvr's, I'm about ready to do some 'gravitating' towards something else.

As far as dictionary expansion, I seem to be doing a fine job of that.

We're sitting in the car the other day when someones car backfired and Gabe yells "What the f--- was THAT?!?".
Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We're sitting in the car the other day when someones car backfired and Gabe yells "What the f--- was THAT?!?".
Well, as a good parent I hope you nipped that behavior in the bud and taught him the proper exclamatory vocabulary.

Everybody knows you're supposed to say "Holy s---, what the f--- was THAT?!?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, right after I stopped laughing.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #33

I just connect the 46" LCD TV to the family room computer via HDMI, and stream from Netflix to the computer. Works fine. You could just bring your laptop to the TV room and hook up using the DVI cable as well. I guess you'd need a sound patch cord in that case also. I use the computer/LCD TV setup for Blu-Ray movies as well.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Does an open source Roku change the content game? | Open Source | ZDNet.com

Roku officially releases their source code as open source. Now anyone can twiddle the bits.

Also re-re-reannounces plans to offer other sources besides netflix. Guess the content providers didnt notice the first couple of announcements.