Toy Report

I'm suspicious that all of this new breathtaking speed and capacity will come with a new and breathtaking price structure.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TEC_INTERNET_CAPS?SITE=ILEDW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Looks like comcast is pondering a very workable 250GB per month limit, while some of the smaller cable and dsl companies are looking at 5GB limits.

Thats fine for web and email, but not for streaming video. I have a funny feeling theres going to be a nice class action suit against one of these internet providers for showing us 5 years of ads about how you can stream video, and then offering to cap and charge you extra for actually doing it...

Frankly for web and email stuff alone, I could probably get by with dialup.

The Roku box with netflix continues to be an excellent source of tv goodies for my son. He's hooked on the 70's series "Emergency!". Its certainly a whole lot more wholesome than the modern day firefighter shows like "Rescue Me"...Scooby Doo has also proven to be a big hit.

I was initially pleased with a lot of tv series offerings I hadnt seen....however...it seems that some of the show producers have taken series that were axed and left in cliffhangers, put those on DVD and released them for video on demand. NBC seems especially enamored of this maneuver.

So the little boogers got me to watch 15 episodes of one show, only to find that it just stopped with all the main characters about to be killed. Super. At least with that knowledge I managed to avoid watching two other series that also ended abruptly and without conclusions.

I had sort of figured that nobody would release material without an ending, but on reflection I guess it didnt really cost them anything to do. :p

And comcast has put in the 250GB monthly limit I mentioned in my last post. VOD services generally are about 1-3 GB per hour. I'd imagine that most households can get by with that limit, even watching everything 'on demand'.

The Roku box with netflix continues to be an excellent source of tv goodies for my son. He's hooked on the 70's series "Emergency!". Its certainly a whole lot more wholesome than the modern day firefighter shows like "Rescue Me"...Scooby Doo has also proven to be a big hit.
I wish Rescue Me was on there. I discovered that show recently in reruns on FX and have become a fan. Emergency is a good choice, and I wouldn't let the little Bunny watch Rescue Me. Well, not unless you want to expand his vocabulary in some new and interesting directions.

Netflix signed a deal with Disney and CBS that will expand the "Watch it Now" offerings.
The agreements, covering television shows ranging from the crime series "CSI" to "Hannah Montana," will let Netflix subscribers watch the shows over the Internet a day after their original air dates on television...The deal with Netflix will eventually add about 500 older television episodes from the Disney Channel and 350 episodes from CBS.

Analysts predict television watchers will begin gravitating to online video from traditional television watching as technologies improve for getting Web video to the television set.

Last edited:
Given all the trouble we've had with our directv dvr's, I'm about ready to do some 'gravitating' towards something else.

As far as dictionary expansion, I seem to be doing a fine job of that.

We're sitting in the car the other day when someones car backfired and Gabe yells "What the f--- was THAT?!?".

We're sitting in the car the other day when someones car backfired and Gabe yells "What the f--- was THAT?!?".
Well, as a good parent I hope you nipped that behavior in the bud and taught him the proper exclamatory vocabulary.

Everybody knows you're supposed to say "Holy s---, what the f--- was THAT?!?"

I just connect the 46" LCD TV to the family room computer via HDMI, and stream from Netflix to the computer. Works fine. You could just bring your laptop to the TV room and hook up using the DVI cable as well. I guess you'd need a sound patch cord in that case also. I use the computer/LCD TV setup for Blu-Ray movies as well.

Back
Top Bottom