Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Your phone went through the wash, and you let it dry thoroughly. Did it work again?
Yes 6 37.50%
No 8 50.00%
Other 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Tracfone Gets Laundered
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tracfone Gets Laundered

My new tracfone LG220 went through the washing machine today because I was tenderizing some steak without an apron.

I hammered a piece of steak and it squirted off the cutting board and hit me in the crotch at high velocity. I took the pants off, sprayed the crotch area with Shout, left them on the washing machine, and then continued cooking.

DW came home, I told her the story, and she put the pants in the washing machine. The phone was on at the time. She checked pockets, but the cell phone is small...

Anyway, it's now thoroughly laundered. I've seen plenty of reports of phones surviving this, following days of drying out. Mine (with battery removed) is on the output vent of the dehumidifier now, and I'll wait a few days before I try it.

If you've had a phone go through the wash, and didn't immediately toss it, please vote in the poll.

[I know, I know, don't say it: alternative title: Beating my meat with my cellphone in my pocket.]

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I dropped one in the Long Island Sound. After drying out is sort of worked and I limped on for a month before replacing it. I suspect that fresh water will be less destructive.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Buying ground beef would be more efficient easier... and less dangerous. (Not as humorous, however.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I hammered a piece of steak and it squirted off the cutting board and hit me in the crotch at high velocity. I took the pants off, sprayed the crotch area with Shout, left them on the washing machine, and then continued cooking.
I have this vision of Al naked from the waist down, with a barbecue tongs in one hand.....

My secretary dropped her cell phone in the toilet once. It was never the same again.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

they claim the best way to dry out a wet cell phone is to bury it in a bowl of uncooked rice (or silica gel packets) until thoroughly dry...a couple of days. The sooner the better
Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My secretary dropped her cell phone in the toilet once. It was never the same again.
The toilet?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[I know, I know, don't say it: alternative title: Beating my meat with my cellphone in my pocket.]
Why...I never would have thought of that for the thread title....

I've never washed a cell phone, but I did wash the garage door opener this weekend. After drying it and replacing the battery, it works fine.

(and I know, the title of my thread could be; I washed the garage door opener and he didn't complain once)
Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My new tracfone LG220 went through the washing machine today because I was tenderizing some steak without an apron.

That's so funny. I don't have an answer, but thanks for the laugh.

Maybe run it through the dryer?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Administrator

I washed and dried a metronome once... it was still annoying (and functional) after being laundered but the battery had to be replaced almost immediately.

Was the washer harmed?
How was the steak?
How about the target?
Your dignity?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I left my cellphone in my car and the sunroof opened . It rained and you could see the water level in the phone . It never worked again .
Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My 38 year old son spent six weeks at my house last year when he was recovering from Bacterial Meningitus. He was pretty much bed ridden for the first couple of weeks since he could not control his left side. He would talk to friends and his girlfriend several times a day on his cell phone while confined to bed.

Well, I changed his sheets on afternoon and washed his cell phone. It was never the same. I have a front loading washer that uses less water so I thought just maybe it would dry out and be OK. We trashed it and $300+ later he was talking again. The phone didn't recover, but I am glad to say that son did.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I also dropped a cell phone in the toilet. I regret to tell everyone I immediately reached in and grabbed it (and yes, I did spend the next 8 days washing my hand/arm area). Just from that short amount of time it never worked correctly again.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #13

I also washed a garage door opener (in the pocket of a motorcycle riding suit). Took the battery out and left it in front of the dehumidifier for a day and it was fine.

I guess garage door openers are less delicate than cell phones.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

DH dropped a phone in the toilet--put it in a plastic bag and brought it home eight hours later, still wet. Idiot. We did save the SIM card (which of course is the phone, the rest is just the bells and whistles that support the industry) to reuse in an old phone.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
they claim the best way to dry out a wet cell phone is to bury it in a bowl of uncooked rice (or silica gel packets) until thoroughly dry...a couple of days. The sooner the better
In my previous role, I was the boss of the boss of the people who issued company cell phones (yes, we're still in the 1990s). We used this technique (resulting in the occasional purchase order for rice) with some success. A thorough blasting with WD-40, or failing that, immersion in gasoline (remove the battery first... ) can also help.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

To re-enforce the issue - the MOST important thing is to get the battery out of the product immediately (not possible on most of the newer Apple products).

An electrolytic reaction between the battery current, water and metals can end up etching away conductors, permanently damaging them, or causing deposits to be formed which can permanently short out a circuit.

Don't replace the battery and turn on the unit until it is fully dried - we are probably talking several days minimum in a warm, dry environment.

With clean water, you have a decent chance of success; dirty water less so; salt water - you are probably hosed. With salt water, you might even be better off dunking it in pure water, or water & rubbing alcohol to displace the salt water, and then dry that solution out.

-ERD50
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Glad I'm not the only one to do this. I put my phone in one of the extra pockets of my cargo shorts and forgot I put it there. Got home and was soaked from the humidity after hiking with my mutt and decided to wash a quick batch of clothes. When I heard the clanking noise in the dryer, I knew I was in trouble. But bought a $15 replacement and it works better than the old one.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Just remember that the SIM card will have survived; those little buggers are damn near indestructible; you can just move the SIM to your new phone and you should have your numbers/etc.
The phone is dead....
I've never successfully dried one out.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #19

Didn't send it through the wash, but it got a good soaking in the toilet! Took the battery out, dried it for two days and it worked. As I was in charge of cell phones for our office, I swapped it out for another one. However, it was still working two years later, just not mine!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #20

I once had a samsung flip phone get washed the dried, it worked fine after that.

My blackberry that I jumped into the swimming pool with in my pocket, not so much