Transition to gmail

I hate getting emails from a couple. It's confusing (why is an email about a women's activity coming from someone called John?), I don't know to whom I am replying and do I'm not sure what I can write. In fact I find it creepy, as if the SO is "watching".

I agree and I would have to come up with an address that would be generic/gender neutral 🤔

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Does having all your personal data (email, address book, calendar) in the cloud creep any of you out? I'm a bit hesitant, but when I think about it I guess perhaps it is not a big deal as I'm not a particularly nefarious character.

Nothing I have is worthy of stealing... There are bigger accounts to hack.

Once you hit 'send', it's out there anyway.

You can draft email from the gmail web interface without internet access and send it later too.

I suspect like most people you'll be more comfortable continuing with the interface you have. The web interface seems fine to me, but it's missing a couple things like sorting by size (unless they've added that somewhere) to get rid of unneeded huge emails. Using folders and stuff seems a bit clunky too, but I'm used to it and mostly just leave stuff in my inbox, which is totally different from how I did it at work. Search is quick and easy to find stuff.

I'm a girl. What do I need penis enhancers for again??

[Must not respond.... Must not respond.... Stop! This is a family friendly forum! :angel:]

On a more serious note--I can't think of the last time I received spam on my gmail account. I'm sure it happens, but a very rare occurrence. (And never any of this particular ilk.)

Been on Gmail for many years. Love the idea of it syncing across phone, tablet and laptop along with all the other connected services (photo, documents, music, files etc)

My only suggestion would be to keep your current email active for a while, notify your contacts of a change and have your current email forwarded to your new Gmail address until you're sure all your contacts have your new address.

You have all convinced me. i'm going to make the plunge. Now there is that contact list. :(

Does having all your personal data (email, address book, calendar) in the cloud creep any of you out? I'm a bit hesitant, but when I think about it I guess perhaps it is not a big deal as I'm not a particularly nefarious character.

I'd say that whether you're 'nefarious' doesn't matter.

Just being on this online forum puts you at a certain level of risk.

Cloud, no cloud, email, address book, whatever...if someone decides on a massive hack, if you've ever been online, have an online account, a credit card or a SS number you're a possible target.

I've been on the Google cloud since it's inception (and on the internet since it was C prompt Arpanet); you take your chances, but the last thing Google wants is a security problem.

Does your current email provider allow you to forward your email to your new gmail account? If so, do it when you make the change.

I hate getting emails from a couple. It's confusing (why is an email about a women's activity coming from someone called John?), I don't know to whom I am replying and do I'm not sure what I can write. In fact I find it creepy, as if the SO is "watching".

Yeah, that's called "Wemail" and I'm not crazy about it, either. Even though I never write anything to the wife that I wouldn't want the husband to see (and vice versa), it's weird not knowing who will read/respond. If they're not careful to add their name at the bottom, sometimes I'm not even sure who responded.

I was an early adopter of everything Google. My original Gmail address (that I still have and use on occasion) was the beta/invite only version in early 2004. I have never, Never, NEVER looked back. I have never had an email go "missing", so I guess that would tell me that if there hasn't been an issue in the last 11 years, there probably won't be. The number of outages I have experienced have probably numbered less than 10...actually probably less than that. As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I couldn't access Gmail.

I use just about every product they have available on a daily basis. The syncing of information is flawless on all devices and is a life saver in so many ways. I have absolutely NO desire to find a new email provider....none at all. Google is always innovating and improving, I love looking at and messing with the development they have going on and that is available in Google labs and through the beta program.

As for spam, it's minimal and it's ALWAYS sent to the spam folder. I don't think I have ever had spam make it into my primary mailbox.

Lastly, I have a personal domain (several) that I can assign any username to. I have this set up so I can add and delete usernames as needed. I don't use it a whole bunch, but it comes in handy to organize items into my different inboxes.

Oh...OK, one more thing. In all the reports I have seen about our elected leaders that have had their emails hacked, I don't think I have EVER seen one such as this: hillary.clinton@gmail.com

And AOL?!? Really? People still use this?!? It still exists? ;)

You can save draft emails in gmail too.
I have ~1200 contacts. I must clean up that list one of these days. I guess I'll start with the As......:LOL:
I'm a girl. What do I need penis enhancers for again??

One person's spam is another's important email. That's why I'm impressed with the learning spam filters. With some training, they work quite effectively :).

You have all convinced me. i'm going to make the plunge. Now there is that contact list. :(

I can't remember who you said your provider is, but you should be able to save them as a CSV or XLS file and then import it into Google. Managing it then (through Google) will be infinitely easier...I would almost 100% guarantee it.

I know a number of people who use the Google features such as gmail, calendar, contacts, etc. as their base system. It will sync with most major services. Just make sure you make your changes on the Google services, and then sync them one way to the others.

I can't remember who you said your provider is, but you should be able to save them as a CSV or XLS file and then import it into Google. Managing it then (through Google) will be infinitely easier...I would almost 100% guarantee it.

I'm pretty sure Google has an address book import function. IIRC

I've been 100% Google (music, photos, storage, docs, Chromecast etc) for several years. Works great, never a problem.

I've been on Chromebook for a few years now and it's "the way the world's supposed to be" for me.

You just have to learn their 'way' of doing things and how they look at it; then it's duck soup.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You've got that right! :D

My small address book is on AOL so no problem.

When I was working, I used Outlook's calendar and loved it. I don't really need a calendar very often now that I am retired. Instead of keeping a real calendar, I just jot down stuff in Excel at home.

My mind is still used to seeing the little boxes of an old fashioned calendar. Thus, I'm old fashioned in just print out a monthly calendar then using a pencil or pen to write down my appointments. I supposed, if I needed to go out and about regularly, then I'd do the calender in a smart phone thing. But, I'm not that [-]important [/-] much of a busy body. :LOL:.

Does your current email provider allow you to forward your email to your new gmail account? If so, do it when you make the change.

Yes, that would be the plan... for at least 6 months to let things sort out.

IMO Google already knws enough about me that I prefer them not parsing my email too. Having your own domain name frees you from relying on any one ISP for email services.

I use outlook to collect my gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail, and other accounts in one place. If you only have one account, you probably don't need outlook

I've been a very happy gmail user since 2005. Used Outlook before that. I began using email with DEC/VAX/VMS in 1981. I did not like Outlook. I love gmail's spam filter- I rarely see spam mail. Originally I thought I should sort/save mail into folders (as in Outlook), but found the search capability to be very powerful instead. And I never need to delete email.

1. In Gmail, you can set it up to have email from most other providers forwarded to Gmail. You can then either keep that mail also on the original server or delete it. Once that email is in Gmail you can then respond using your other email address and not your gmail address. You can even forward email to a different gmail account to your mail gmail account.

2. So I never have to worry about a provider closing down and people not being able to find me, for most of my email I have my own email address for my own domain name that I pay for. I then have everything that goes to that email address forwarded to gmail and I respond using that email address. So people don't email at xxx@gmail.com. They email me at my actual personal address and then it is forwarded to gmail and managed there.

3. I have several email addresses that I forward to gmail. If your ISP is a typical one and you can forward to gmail I would do that probably even if you start using gmail as your primary email address. That way you wouldn't miss any email that were sent to the now dormant email address.

4. You can periodically download an Archive of everything that is on Gmail.

Back
Top Bottom