Tv compatible with Chromecast-help?

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
Can someone please tell me what I need to see on my TV to know if I have a TV that will work with Chromecast?

Note that you need computer(s) compatible with it as well. My main computer (modern desktop) was
NOT compatible because it didn't use wifi.

Note that you need computer(s) compatible with it as well. My main computer (modern desktop) was
NOT compatible because it didn't use wifi.

I don't think that's true.

From what I understand, yes, you will need a wireless router for the chromecast, but your desktop could be connected to a wired port on the router.

I'm pretty sure that the way all these various wireless boxes work (roku, printers, etc), is that they communicate back to the router. They don't communicate directly with your computer. Though you can make your computer a wireless 'hot spot', but that isn't a requirement if you have a wireless router.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going on general knowledge here, never played with the chromecast itself.

-ERD50

I don't think that's true.

From what I understand, yes, you will need a wireless router for the chromecast, but your desktop could be connected to a wired port on the router.

I'm pretty sure that the way all these various wireless boxes work (roku, printers, etc), is that they communicate back to the router. They don't communicate directly with your computer. Though you can make your computer a wireless 'hot spot', but that isn't a requirement if you have a wireless router.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going on general knowledge here, never played with the chromecast itself.

-ERD50

This is exactly correct. What happens is that Chromecast gets it's signal from the Wifi, controlled by the computer regardless of how the computer is connected. BUT..they have to be on the same router.

My Chromecast works fine with my wired desktop. They are both connected to my local area network. You only need an HDMI port on the TV and a wireless network for it to use. I believe setup requires an ad hoc wireless network between a laptop or smart phone in order to connect the Chromecast hardware to your local wireless network. So a desktop-only house might pose a problem, even with a wireless router. However, it's a one time thing. You could get a friend to set it up for you.

Maybe it was just with an earlier version of the chrome OS, but I even went through google support and they assured me it doesn't work with a "wired only" desktop. I am not a novice with networking, so it really frustrated me. It can definitely NOT be set up without a wifi device, as there is no way to configure local wifi with a cable.

Maybe it was just with an earlier version of the chrome OS, but I even went through google support and they assured me it doesn't work with a "wired only" desktop. I am not a novice with networking, so it really frustrated me. It can definitely NOT be set up without a wifi device, as there is no way to configure local wifi with a cable.

I'm guessing there was a (human-human) communication gap, because that just doesn't make sense.

The Chromecast device itself definitely needs a wi-fi connection, it does ot have a wired port. The computer just has to be on the same network as the wi-fi.

Perhaps google support was trying to get you connected without a wireless router, and that would mean using your desktop as the 'hot-spot'? But w/o wireless in the desktop, that would be a no-go.

But if you have wi-fi, it should work with your wired desktop on the same network (but on a wired port of that network).

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom