Used Boats are getting cheaper........

Inflatable kayaks... ;)

Best toy I ever bought ... a 17 foot Innova Solar inflatable kayak, good for lakes and ocean kayaking near shore. I've used that 4-5 times more than any boat I've ever owned. I paid around $700 for it about 5-6 years ago, and the Solar is no longer made, but wonder if those prices have come down. It was made in Checkoslovakia (is that still a country?), so maybe the dollar being down has kept the price up.

A couple more pieces of advice - boats need to be kept inside or under cover (preferably inside) - it will protect it & you can do maintenance at your leisure - boats deteriorate fast if left out in the weather - so clear a space in your garage or, if getting a pontoon plan to build a tall shed.

Learn to do all of your routine maintenance & most repairs yourself (maybe with the exception of the powerhead, hydraulics, & electronics - you should be able to basic electrical yourself) - boat mechanic shop are outrageous - most of it is easily doable yourself - do a little research on the internet, lots of DIY forums & advice columns out there on boat maintenance/repair

When looking at used boats - watch out for the hydraulic tilt/trim units on the motors - make sure they are functioning & strong - these are extremely expensive to replace & dicey to repair (I have a friend had to put a new one on a $2500 boat he bought - it cost $1100 !!! )
What would you consider to be moderate hours on the motor? Unfortunately I find many used boats where no hour gauge exists and the owner is guessing.

A Deep V will help some, but a 17-19 foot boat is just too small for open water on Lake Mich most of the season. On sunny calm days, mostly very hot in July & Aug you'll be able to go out a lot - whether you want to or not especially midday may be another matter (due to heat, flies and no breeze). Unless you're ER in which case your schedule is more flexible - May, June, Sept, Oct you'll spend many days on land wishing you could go out like the "25-28 foot beasts." I am not a big fisherman, but I think the fishing is often best early in the season when the weather is variable and can be far too rough for a 17-19 footer. Best of luck whatever you decide, it is a buyers market right now (although Apr-May it will be harder to deal) for new or used...

I spent a TON of "quality time" on Lake Michigan in my youth, so I have a lot of respect on the Big Pond. In addition, my dad and I rescued several boaters that decided and oversized duck skiff was the perfect boat to go out 3 miles in.............:eek:

I live halfway between Port Washington and Milwaukee, about 30 minutes from Lake Michigan. On a nice summer day, you can stay inside the breakwater, and almost ANY boat is fine. Going outside the breakwater, I am not going to do that unless the waves are calm to 2 feet.

My friend has a 21 foot cuddy cabin with a 300HP inboard. We're going out on it this summer, it may not be huge but it can handle normal conditions in the Big Pond.

My dad's first boat was a 20 foot WOOD Thompson. We were out in heavy seas several times,and that boat handled it well.

What would you consider to be moderate hours on the motor? Unfortunately I find many used boats where no hour gauge exists and the owner is guessing.

That is unfortunately the case with many boats - about all you can do there is rely on your assessment of the owner & what he/she is telling you & then if you get more serious about buying the boat - do the aforementioned compression checks if you can

When I first looked at the boat, liked it, felt good about it, & felt postive about being able to negotiate price - I scheduled with the guy to go out to the lake the next weekend for a lake test - before I left, i wrote down all the info on the motor - then went home & researched on the internet to get the cylinder compression #'s for that particular motor

I then contacted a local auto repair guy & asked him if I could bring a boat by Sat afternoon if he would do a compression check for me. (I've not done compression checks myself before, but I'm told it's not that hard if you have a guage)

I met the guy at the lake on Sat, drove the boat around a bit - everything seemed good - then stopped by the mechanics shop on the way back & he checked the compression on each cylinder - they were a little bit below factory specs, but all within 10% of each other.

I'm looking at 17-19 foot Deep V, with a motor between 115 and 150hp, with room for four.

I would love to find a used Lund around, but they carry a premium price new and have high resale. Almuacraft and Lowe also make nice ones.

I want one I can take on inland lakes, trailer, but also big enough to go on Lake Michigan on a calm day. I don't want a 25-28 foot beast that is tough to trailer............

1998 21' Carolina Skiff "Sea Chaser roll gunnel" with a 120 Nissan (actually 140 with restricter removed but don't tell;)). No frills, direct injection gas sipping 2 stroke, no wood, hard chines, reasonably high gunnel and transom, deepish keel right to the stern for decent "bay level" rough water handling, less than 2,000# fully rigged. Found on internet. Paid $7,500, including galvanized trailer but excluding moody blond teenager. No issues at all in the last 4 years (with the boat, not the teenager:p).

Dude, Good luck in your search

Attachments

• IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
1998 21' Carolina Skiff "Sea Chaser roll gunnel" with a 120 Nissan (actually 140 with restricter removed but don't tell;)). No frills, direct injection gas sipping 2 stroke, no wood, hard chines, reasonably high gunnel and transom, deepish keel right to the stern for decent "bay level" rough water handling, less than 2,000# fully rigged. Found on internet. Paid $7,500, including galvanized trailer but excluding moody blond teenager. No issues at all in the last 4 years (of the boat, not the teenager:p).

Dude, Good luck in your search

Looks sweet.......the BOAT I mean! Reminds me of a Boston Whaler............:D

I'll bet she handles rough seas well........:)

I found a 2025 Lund Pro Angler out there, but it's a 98 and the guy thinks it's a 2005............:D

Back
Top Bottom