WalMart or Target for Most Things??

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW has a love affair with Target. I have to admit that our local Target is hip and cool, and has nicer brands of clothes and other stuff than WalMart, but the amount of CASH I save at WalMart is staggering........

Our "old" WalMart was too small, dingy, dirty, etc. But the new SuperWalMart has everything, and the food is about 20% cheaper than Target or the local grocery store.......

How can I make her understand?? :D:D

No Target here so it's the Super Walmart for me. The one close to my house is pretty new so it is nice. I still haven't joined Sam's. Do you think it is worth it for a single guy?

When I'm in Target I feel that I'm in the belly of the corporation/marketing/consumerism beast.

I prefer Walmart. But ive never compared the prices of them both. I thought they would be similar. I know Walmart carries those t shirts I like for cheap.

Target is where I shop, when I have to go to some sort of department store.

Walmart...only at gunpoint will I enter that godforsaken nightmare called the supercenter. I'd rather work the rest of my days if the only way I can retire is to shop there. Death itself would be more merciful than standing in the line to check out there.

Always feel like I am slumming on the rare occasions I set foot in WalMart. Target, eh. Its just a Kohl's with brighter colors.

Walmart is cheaper by far. Target has some really good disposable shavers, tho, according to my son.
Some advice from a woman: Let her win the battle before you lose the war, and just let her go where she wants to. She will love you all the more for it. She knows Walmart is cheaper, but the Target is less trashy and she feels more comfortable in it. I get it.

Walmart is cheaper by far. Target has some really good disposable shavers, tho, according to my son.
Some advice from a woman: Let her win the battle before you lose the war, and just let her go where she wants to. She will love you all the more for it. She knows Walmart is cheaper, but the Target is less trashy and she feels more comfortable in it. I get it.

She also loves Kohls and TJ Maxx, so I should just move on........:D

She COULD love Nordstroms and Macy's! :eek:

I couldn't care less if Walmart is "more trashy". It's cheaper for the same quality stuff or it may be less quality but the overall value is still better. I almost never go and buy "stuff" but if I do it's walmart. I just bought a condo and down the road is both a Walmart and a Kohl's right next to each other. The "Joneses" go to Kohls and the people who want to retire before their 70 go to walmart. I've never gone to walmart for groceries but now that there's one 1/2 mile away i'll try it.

I have compared prices at Walmart vs. Target. Many things were within a penny or two of the same price. Name brand stuff (food, toiletries, diapers, etc) were typically the same price. The biggest difference that I saw was that walmart has a store brand of most things that I buy and it was usually 5-20% less for the same product vs. target if they had the generic brand. However target seemed to have less store brands in general (the folks that shop at target probably wouldn't try the store brands anyway). The walmart store brand is usually 25-50% less than the Target name brand products. Produce prices at both were similar, however walmart seems to have cheaper deals on 3-5 in season fruits/veggies that varies week to week.

Target has better clearance items at 50-90% off, vs crap at walmart that is 25-50% off at best (but useless).

I shop at walmart for ~95% of weekly shopping and only venture out to the mall for the occasional clothes/shoes purchase (although walmart has acceptable clothes/shoes at very cheap prices).

One big reason I shop at walmart instead of target is that it is more convenient. 3 minutes away or so w/ only 1 traffic signal vs. a 5-6 mile commute on a major highway. Customer service and long lines are hit or miss at target and walmart (maybe a touch better at target because they don't ever seem to be as busy, hence faster service). Our local walmart is packed to the gills pretty much every time I go by there. Target on the other hand is much less busy.

A WalMart was built near my late-mom's house. The relatives loved to visit and escape into that store! I found it very useful for the same purpose.

Since I live near neither store, which is better for internet shopping?

I'd rather pay more for better quality.

I think that makes sense for some purchases. For many things though, the quality isn't really as important.

Where do you shop to obtain better quality merchandise at a relative bargain?

Closest Target is an hour drive so it is slumming at Wallys or Kmart.....

Target is where I shop, when I have to go to some sort of department store.

Walmart...only at gunpoint will I enter that godforsaken nightmare called the supercenter. I'd rather work the rest of my days if the only way I can retire is to shop there. Death itself would be more merciful than standing in the line to check out there.

Should have pressed the thanks button on that one! The last time I was at Walmart...well, that was the last time I was at Walmart. :bat:

A few years ago I decided to no longer shop at my local WalMart because it had a horrible vibe. No one who shopped there looked like they wanted to be there, and no one who worked there looked like they wanted to be there either. They always seemed to be out of something I wanted, the lines were long, and I always came out of there feeling more stressed and irritable than I went in.

It was like a reality show where they see how much suffering and degradation you're willing to put up with just to save a few bucks. :(

The nearby Target is so much better, even though it's a bit more expensive. But I figure my mental health is worth it.

Last edited:
Walmart is cheaper but I found their stuff disintegrates in short order.

Target is much nicer, has a better quality of goods, and doesnt really cost much more.

Besides, I do about 95% of my shopping at costco and sams club.

I'm with your wife Target & T.j.Maxx. Walmart is for when you need a few food items and chlorine for the pool and socks and it is on the way home .

I usually hate going shopping. Going to WalMart "enhances" that feeling. Too crowded, and I always wind up about 6 deep at checkout in the slowest line.

At Target I almost never feel worse coming out then I did going in. That's worth something to me.

It's like paying a bit more to eat the same burger at a nicer restaurant in a more relaxed atmosphere. I'll pay a bit more for that. I still go to Walmart at times but I have to phsych myself up for it.

DD works at Target, so if I have a lot to get I try to go with her to get her discount.

Food & Purdue chicken (horrible meat, otherwise): Walmart
Cheap clothing and kitchen utensils: Kohl's especially with their sale coupons
Sales and better quality items: Target

Tacky as it sounds, I go where the deals are.
The Walmart here after 6 pm looks so rough that I feel like I should be carrying mace with me. I just go in the morning.
FYI: For those that don't know, TJ Maxx and Marshall's are owned by the same corporation. I heard on good authority that the TJ Maxx people are very nice at the top.

Tacky as it sounds, I go where the deals are.
The Walmart here after 6 pm looks so rough that I feel like I should be carrying mace with me. I just go in the morning.
Same here, plus it is impossible to find a parking space anywhere in the lot. I could probably go there safely and find a parking place at 6 AM on Sunday mornings (but often feel a curious desire to sleep at that time). :2funny:

I prefer Target. During the past year I have been to Target once, and Walmart zero times. I work right across the street from K-Mart but haven't been there at all this year.

Somewhere along the line, I decided that shopping at cheap places wasn't saving me any money (because spending is spending, and I was spending). Now, if only I could really grok the analogous revelation that eating low calorie, low fat foods doesn't result in a thinner me, either (because eating is eating).

Haven't been into a Walmart in at least 10 years; went to Target in Feb. (go there once or twice a year).

Do most general stuff at Meijer or thrift store or online.

Back
Top Bottom