WATERCRAFT - no motors

Hobie Wave, two kayaks. Lake Huron always wonderful onshore winds for sailing.

We started sailing on a whim at 23. Had no idea what we were doing, bought a tiny sunfish replica. We cartopped it on a bug and went sailing. Woo hoo! First time we went out the winds were violent. We got checked by a water patrol officer who told me to put my paper permit back in the car and insisted we put on our life jackets. I'm glad he did!

Our adventure was short, but we managed to turtle the boat in a minute. The only other sailor on the lake yelled how to right the boat. We righted the boat and climbed in 5 times in as many minutes! Totally exhausted and glad we had life preservers on.

We finally righted the boat and immediately dropped the sail. Smart, cause now the boat wasn't flipping over. A group of Boy Scouts were headed out to rescue us, I was a bit embarrassed by the situation, but grateful for help.

We really enjoyed that boat after learning the difference between a tack and jibe![emoji12] Went on to own a Hobi and a Force 5. The latter was a great little boat. DW would go in most weather, sometimes she'd opt out, if it was extremely wild. She always managed to find one of her girlfriends who wanted to go sailing if I wanted company. They didn't know what sailing was so they didn't know enough to be afraid.

I kayak fish on the ocean, entering tournaments every month or so. Large fish include 31 pound Ling 40 pound salmon and a 40 pound Pacific Halibut.

I kayak fish on the ocean, entering tournaments every month or so. Large fish include 31 pound Ling 40 pound salmon and a 40 pound Pacific Halibut.
Now that’s impressive, I can’t imagine landing something that big from a kayak. Well done!

Now that’s impressive, I can’t imagine landing something that big from a kayak. Well done!

The best fight was the Pacific Halibut, I thought I was hung up on the bottom until it shook it's head. Took me an hour to land. Can't find the camera SD card with those on it. Salmon are difficult because you can't use a barbed hook on the Pacific Ocean to catch them. Lings are the easiest.

Not that big, but I can't find stuff I can link to here that easily so it's gotta do. A Ling...

20953650_10213601078566023_7422489122419458760_n.jpg

My fishing team mate and Lings;

18670892_10212687070156384_3802805683747870167_n.jpg

On the big blue, we are fishin'!
17522940_10212687069716373_1070213358559982604_n.jpg

Shelter Cove, CA bending the rod with something fishy on the other end. This photo was taken during a clinic for Salmon put on by one of my sponsors.
11329924_10206456862405084_6237867358857583644_n.jpg

Pretty fish!
1150985_10201670183661107_1051204901_n.jpg

Last edited:
We have a kayak and a SUP and use them frequently on a nearby bay in So CA. DH likes to kayak & I prefer SUP.

Our funniest boat story is the canoe safari we did on the Zambezi River in Africa. All of the other canoes were given guides, but DH & I were on our own. Just before we took off, they told us to be careful because hippos kill more tourists than all other animals in Africa combined. And there was a fierce wind blowing upriver, and big whitecaps as the river is a mile wide. Every time we stopped paddling for just a few seconds, our canoe would spin around to the opposite direction. I thought DH was going to kill me for suggesting this! But we survived and it makes for a good story now.

We canoe on the St. Croix river where we live and the BWCA. We have an aluminum canoe for local trips on the river or nearby lakes.
We have done a boundary waters trip every year for the last five years. There we rent a Wenonah Minnesota IV, a four seater 23’ Kevlar canoe. We started with a three day trip when my wife was pregnant with our third. This year was six nights and was the easiest as the older kids could help portaging. We still just do base camp with day trips. The canoe is pretty fast and can still hold the six of us plus gear easily.
Great trip-completely disconnected from the world. The stars and northern lights (occasionally) are amazing there without any light pollution.

Am currently into kayaking. Have been doing lakes and rivers for > 10 yrs in my Perception Acadia. Now we live closer to the ocean in NH so I want to get into sea kayaking. I just picked up an Eddyline Fathom LV. Sweet glide.

In my youth my brother and I would canoe. We did one long trip up in northern Quebec. Another trip we did the Fulton chain in the Adirondacks. Great times.

Forgot to mention, I have a cedar strip kayak build underway. I'll post pics in a day or two. I'm traveling right now.

I had a 1968 36' Columbia sloop I bought the year I retired. I gutted the inside and pulled out all the teak and took down all the hardware topside. After patching holes and rebedding hardware, I repainted topside. I changed all the standing rigging by myself by using a climbing harness and ascenders to go up the mast. That was scary. I resurfaced all the teak and reinstalled below decks and made new teak hand rails for topside. Also fabricated new trim for below decks at the Hickam wood shop. That was fun but very expensive. In Hawaii I was paying $25 per board foot for teak. The learning curve was pretty steep but being retired had nothing but time. I pulled out much of the fancy instrumentation. Broken radar, auto helm, etc. and returned it to the original configuration. I repaired fiberglass down below and painted below decks. Redid the head. Mom taught me how to upholster and I made new cushions for the cabin. Tuned up the diesel, lubed, and changed oil filters and fuel filters. Replaced the sink down below and the hot water heater in the settee. Took off the metal side rails, resurface them, and rebedded them. There were some considerably tight spaces. We had a slip in the military marina right next to Pearl Harbor. That was going to be our "vacation home" in Hawaii. Regrettably, the management at the marina changed the rules for retirees and the requirements became to challenging to comply. So, I ended up selling her to a young sailor interested in sailing. Took a HUGE loss but I believe she will be cared for and appreciated. The remodel experience was tough but satisfying. And she is FAST!!!

I have a single Perception kayak. I've had it for about 15 years. I mostly paddle in Intracoastal, rivers, and lakes. I have taken trips to the Keys and the Florida gulf and panhandle. I have gone on kayak trips to Baja and Alaska. I look for wildlife and quiet waters mostly, though I have done some small whitewater in North Carolina. I have done a little sailing. I had a very small catamaran many years ago, and rented larger catamarans for sailing in the intracoastal. Living in Florida, I have been tempted to use the kayak in a few of the floods we have had over the years! I'm looking forward to more time on the water when I retire!

One of my bucket list ideas from youth was to float down the majority of the Mississippi river. (Huckle Berry Fin/ Tom Sawyer inspired)

Have any of you paddled, floated, sailed this?

Back
Top Bottom