What are your 3 favorite British TV series?

Some other mini series on Netflix we've liked are The Paradise, Broadchurch, Happy Valley, Secrets and Lies, Mr. Selfridge, Island at War, Bletchley Circle, and The a Fall. I think The Hour is on Amazon Prime and that's also good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, I saw all of those and enjoyed them. I did not see The Hour or Island at War, so I will check them out. Of course I saw House of Cards (both versions), but trying to find some more. Yes, I agree, the Killing was great. I also watched and really liked Ricky Gervais in Derik (Netflix). You have to get past the first two episodes, as at first it will appear kinda weird and different, but then you develop a real appreciation of it and there are some really funny parts and it is very touching.

This is not British, but another good series, well done that I really enjoyed it is called Enlightened, with Lora Dern on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
Has anyone watched George Gently? I watched the first episode last night and liked it. I wonder if it gets better as it goes along. We just finished Foyle's War and are looking for another series. It seems like we've seen all the detective shows that are popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

After seeing several people mention "Grantchester", I've just found it on PBS so starting to watch. I think the pastor/priest played an attorney in "Death Comes to Pemberly".

After seeing several people mention "Grantchester", I've just found it on PBS so starting to watch. I think the pastor/priest played an attorney in "Death Comes to Pemberly".

That's right, he was the love interest of Georgiana.

...and his brother, Edward Norton, played a priest in "Keeping the Faith".

BTW, I really enjoy George Gently, set in the area I grew up, and in the same time period.

...and his brother, Edward Norton, played a priest in "Keeping the Faith".

BTW, I really enjoy George Gently, set in the area I grew up, and in the same time period.
Not brothers.

They weren't even born and raised in the same nation or continent, let alone being 15 years apart in age.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I have already claimed George Gently as my British series boyfriend earlier on this thread.

A good recommendation then. :)

One reason I find George Gently (the show) so good is that it is a period piece that moves through the sixties, but to me it is not self-conscious or even seemingly aware of it, and the characters mostly have the sensibilities and ethics of the time the show is set in. Some shows, like Downton Abbey and Madmen, are sometimes very awkward about reconciling the period with today's sensibilities, but I don't find that in GG. Imo GG (the show and my Martin Shaw as GG) just gets better and better.

Luther, Orphan Black, Being Human (the first couple of seasons)

I watch Downton Abbey and Grantchester. I don't think that I have ever watch any others, but I am on the look out for them now. I am really enjoying them.

Love Orphan Black but even though it's on BBC America, it's not British - it's Canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

A few I haven't seen mentioned that I really enjoyed:

DCI Banks
Jekyll
Jonathan Creek

Has anyone watched Cadfael? I know it's older, but we see it's on Acorn and highly rated on Amazon and IMBD. Any thoughts?

I sometimes watch.
"Death in Paradise" (liked the inspector in the 1st series, new inspector is fluff)
"Father Brown"
"Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries" (Aussie series)
They're cute.......
I'll be working on some metal embossing tonight so will listen to Rosemary & Thyme and Midsummers Murders.

I am enjoying "The Fall". Downtown Abbey" is in the queue.

Has anyone watched Cadfael? I know it's older, but we see it's on Acorn and highly rated on Amazon and IMBD. Any thoughts?

It's 'mild', but we enjoyed it.

It was really good, IMO. Made me go out and read the stories.

We had a few laughs over the dialogue in Vicious Vicious (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb (featuring Derek Jacobi, who played the protagonist in Cadfael), although, due to repetition, the ongoing meme is unsustainable long term.

We couldn't limit our choices to 3...or probably 3 times 3. Across Netflix, Amazon Prime and Acorn, there's just a plethora of good shows. If you're in to the older ones, Inspector Morse, Prime Suspect, Ballykissangel, The Vicar of Dibley and Cadfael are good choices. Newer, but having completed their run are Rosemary and Thyme, Land Girls, Inspector Lewis, Murder in Suburbia, Kingdom, Foyle's War and Luther. Currently on and great to watch are Downton Abbey, George Gently, Endeavor, The Fall, Doc Martin, DCI Banks, Grantchester...better stop before we exceed 3 times 3 times 3. Lots of good recommendations in the thread for us to explore. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom