What Did You Eat Today?

Breakfast was two cups of coffee and a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie (pretty sure the oatmeal wasn't steel cut)

Lunch at a friend's home who needed a hand installing new batteries in his diesel truck. His wife came out to the barn where we were working with a plate of Albacore tuna sandwiches with pickled jalapeno slices on them and a Dr. Pepper

Dinner was at Mimi's where I had a peppercorn steak with a salad and baked potato washed down with red house wine. (Mimi's had a 2nd entree free coupon that ended today we used)

I'm learning a low carb diet, so here goes:

Breakfast: one egg fried in olive oil. The olive oil was then poured over a baby kale salad on the side.

Lunch: avocado with some mayo, macadamia nuts, and coffee with cream.

Snacked on some nut thins (a Blue Diamond product)

Dinner:
I made pasta for the family and made a thick and chunky meat sauce with Italian sausage-it's really yummy that way. Not eating the pasta, so I had a serving of the sauce in a bowl, as well as a small snapper fillet portion pan fried in butter and coconut oil, lettuce salad with dressing, and a homemade low carb roll with butter.

I also tasted the pasta sauce and nibbled an oz of sausage while cooking.[emoji39]

I usually get more protein each day, but I was pretty busy today.

EastWest Gal: that sounds like a good start. I am NO EXPERT or DOC (I remember you were one), but have worked a successful low carb routine for a year now. You really have to watch the labels as you will be surprised where the hidden carbs are put into foods. I don't know what pasta sauce you used, but some of these are loaded up with sugar!

I suggest having a look at the Atkins site for info. It's free to look (LOL!).

My routine was (typically):

Breakfast - eggs any way, sausage or bacon (no bread, no potatoes)

Lunch - (if I had one) - Small salad, sometimes with grilled chicken, lite dressing

Dinner - Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, asparagus, or brussel sprouts - no bread or potatoes.

My plan was to not eat anything "white" (starchy) or if it had sugar in it. :(

Lost about 30 pounds, BP went back to normal from slightly elevated. All other systems, GO!

MRG, Happy Birthday!

OK, back on topic with a list of what I ate today:

Breakfast: One mug of coffee with sugarfree creamer

Lunch (restaurant): "Eat Fit Chicken Pita" (small chicken pita on whole wheat pita bread, no sides), with tap water to drink.

Dinner: Three scrambled eggs, water to drink.

I would starve...

Btw, heavy cream is sugar-free. [emoji56]

I would starve...

Btw, heavy cream is sugar-free. [emoji56]

Yeah, me too, but there's nothing I can do about it. I'm growing old so I just can't eat as much as I used to eat. Your time will come, too. >:D Or at least that happens to a lot of people.

Heavy cream sounds divine, but probably too high in calories for me.

Packaged a couple of dozen chicken legs and thighs that I smoked on the smoker yesterday into meal-sized FoodSaver bags and put them in the freezer.

Actually, you freeze them before sealing in the FoodSaver bag, but that is just a technicality.

We keep these for an easy meal when we have not planned or have been away for the day with nothing ready to cook or eat when we get home.

I had a pulled pork barbeque sandwich on a 6" hoagie roll with a sweet and sour mustard slaw. And it was GREAT!

A piece of bacon for breakfast, left over eggplant Parmesan and some grilled whitefish for lunch, 1/2 avocado and hummus with roasted red pepper between lunch and dinner, (I put too much red pepper and the hummus looked more like carrot purée but it tasted good) and a pork chop with onion/mushrooms and caponata for dinner. Probably over 2000 calories today. So stuffed.

I am feeling under the weather today and I have zero appetite. So far, I have eaten an apple, and drunk a cup of hot chocolate. :(

I am feeling under the weather today and I have zero appetite. So far, I have eaten an apple, and drunk a cup of hot chocolate. :(

Being sick is no fun. I hope you feel better soon.

You realize you are getting older when your sweet treat for the evening is a caramel oat fiber bar.:facepalm:

I actually like the taste, but still.:LOL:

For dinner we had my very first attempt at making a Chicago deep dish pizza. I tried to replicate the "stuffed pizza" style featuring an upper crust like we enjoyed on our last trip there. Topped it with sauce featuring home grown basil. It may not be quite up to Giordano's yet, but for a rookie effort it turned out surprisingly good.

I used a bread machine recipe to make the dough, but it baked out a bit thicker than I hoped. Anybody here who has suggestions on making thin crisp pizza crusts, please enlighten me and I'll be your best friend.

For dinner we had my very first attempt at making a Chicago deep dish pizza. I tried to replicate the "stuffed pizza" style featuring an upper crust like we enjoyed on our last trip there. Topped it with sauce featuring home grown basil. It may not be quite up to Giordano's yet, but for a rookie effort it turned out surprisingly good.

I used a bread machine recipe to make the dough, but it baked out a bit thicker than I hoped. Anybody here who has suggestions on making thin crisp pizza crusts, please enlighten me and I'll be your best friend.

You have seen this thread? It may answer all of your questions:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25283

Wife stated earlier today: "We will have scallop for dinner". Huh?

Turned out that she discovered a package of scallops in the freezer. Oh, big nice ones too! How long have they been in there? It's a shame if these expensive chunks got freezer burn.

Turned out that they still looked good. I seasoned with salt and pepper, then browned them with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. When done, thought about deglazing the pan with some white wine, but had a better idea. How about a couple of tablespoons of that Cocchi Americano, with some vodka and water mixed in (as the Cocchi is too sweet)? Then, some chopped shallot and minced garlic, then finished with some butter.

Then, the scallops were served on a bed of watercress (grown in the backyard), with some slices of juicy tomatoes (not home grown), drizzled with the pan sauce, and some lemon juice squeezed on top.

Oh man, life is darn good. I am going to make myself a gin and tonic now to top it off.

Last edited:
Chicken Tikka Masala

Shrimp salad for lunch. 4-5 fabulous jumbo boiled shrimp, about half an avocado, and remoulade. Mmm. Wished it was bigger. :(

I think I might boil some eggs for dinner, after reading the protein bar thread. Hard boiled eggs would really hit the spot. Maybe a fruit smoothie later on, too.

I had a salad and home made veggie curry soup for lunch. For dinner we had carryout dim sum from 99 Ranch Market.

Salmon poached in a dollop of orange juice with browned diced mangoes, side of sauteed diced zucchini and sweet red peppers sprinkled with oregano and balsamic vinegar while cooking. Lots of flavor; 15 minutes start to finish to throw together.

Went to the market earlier today, saw some mahi mahi, so got it for dinner. Texted my son to see if he cared for some blackened fish. Of course he could not refuse.

Just finished the meal. I cooked it outside on a very hot iron skillet. It is not as blackened as some special restaurants can do, but my homemade cajun seasoning is just as good. Side dishes are asparagus, pan roasted bell peppers, seasoned quinoa.

The meal was good! How often have I said that life is good?

Got the charcoal starting in the chimney and the swordfish steak glazed with macadamia nut oil and sprinkled with S&P waiting to go.

Side of steamed asparagus and a bottle of beer will be good to go!

Went to the market earlier today, saw some mahi mahi, so got it for dinner. Texted my son to see if he cared for some blackened fish. Of course he could not refuse.

Just finished the meal. I cooked it outside on a very hot iron skillet. It is not as blackened as some special restaurants can do, but my homemade cajun seasoning is just as good. Side dishes are asparagus, pan roasted bell peppers, seasoned quinoa.

The meal was good! How often have I said that life is good?

Sounds really good, Robbie.

While shopping a few days ago I spotted a package of chicken breasts that were dirt cheap because they had been priced to sell as I was shopping on the "sell by" date. I went home,sauteed some baby spinach with a little lemon, garlic, and onion. Filleted open the chicken and put the spinach mix inside and rolled them back up, vacuum sealed them, cooked them sous vide at 145 degrees. When done, plunged them in ice water and stuck them in the fridge for later. Last night I rewarded them at 138 degrees, then unpackaged them and "breaded" them with egg dip and a mixture of crushed BBQ flavored pork rinds and grated Parmesan, then quick fried them in coconut and olive oil. Served with cheesy mashed cauliflower and mixed veggies. The chicken was amazing. Fantastic way to do low carb breaded chicken. Sous vide left the chicken breast really moist and tender. The lemon and spinach and the crust made it feel like gourmet. We only ate half of it. Six servings for $5 (including all the ingredients). I'm feeling frugal.

Big Mac Jr. after yoga. We haven't had fast food for a long time, so it tasted good.

Homemade spaghetti sauce. Delalllo tomatoes with lamb and pork sausage meatballs. I was surprised that DW enjoyed the lamb, but she offered that she really enjoyed this batch.

Had a bowl of Cap'n Crunch for breakfast. Local Costco gets it for a short time each year so I indulge.

Back
Top Bottom