Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is or was your employment background?
Marketing/Sales 2 2.70%
Professional (Accountant/MD/Legal) 9 12.16%
Engineering 19 25.68%
Financial/Banking/Insurance 6 8.11%
Tech 19 25.68%
Government employee 10 13.51%
Too many to pick one 5 6.76%
Military 4 5.41%
Sandwich Artist 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What is or was your employment background?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HaHa -

Nice confession. I fish therefore I lie.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead

May I recommend a "Bloody Mary", and stalk of celery for breakfast?

Take care old buddy.

Jarhead
Thanks Jarhead. I went for the tomato juice. I'm out of vodka today.

Ha

Old 10-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Currently "migrant laborer".

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Still scary that more than half of the people are in a technical field (tech/engineering). Probably a low satisfaction level and long hours combined with a high degree of boredom. At least that was my case.
Vicky
Engineers - high earning potential, not as concerned with status quo and keeping up w/ joneses as compared to other fields (salespeople, MD's, attorneys). Great with numbers and spreadsheets. Many engineers deal with budgets and finances on a regular basis.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Let's spread some credit around.

* Paul Terhorst (who started this whole thing--thank you again, Paul!) was an accounting executive.
* John P. Greaney was a civil engineer, true.
* Bill Bernstein is/was a neurosurgeon.
* The Kaderlis were restauranteurs (OK, Billy was also a stockbroker).
* gummy (Dr. Pietro Ponzo) was a math professor. (Have you seen his web site lately? He is really prolific! Except I can never go back and find something I liked.)
* Bill Schultheis was a stockbroker who developed a conscience (a carreer-limiting move, most of the time).
* Joe Dominguez was also a stockbroker (also from Seattle?).
* Gillette Edmonds was a lawyer in the sports business.
* Scott Burns did have a bacheleor of science from MIT (in physics? unclear.). We know him as a financial writer of long standing. He also had experience in a family-connected business at the board level.
* Paul Merriman was a broadcaster.

And then there are the rest of us. It is great to see the variety of folks here who have decided to learn how to take care of their own future, including RE. Some of us won't be able to RE, but we can use the lessons.

It doesn't take "education" and facility with spreadsheets. More than anything else, it takes nerve. Consider our JG, a businessman who works on the back of envelopes. Have you ever seen stories about doctors who haven't planned well? (On the other hand, we have galeno, the only doc I know of on this board. I like his method. Maybe we could have it posted in a FAQ or something?) I am an engineer who didn't start looking at retirement realistically early enough (and there are a lot more like me). My kids will know better, though.

Cheers,

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #26

You know I am surprised we don't see more teachers in the ER forum. Pensions are pretty decent and I think many can get out after 20 or so years.

9% for the banking/insurance/finance? Maybe I am in the wrong biz
Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
It doesn't take "education" and facility with spreadsheets.* More than anything else, it takes nerve.*
I was thinking about this on my way to w*** this morning. In honor of my favorite, least PC holiday, I was thinking that making the big leap into FIRE is not entirely unlike what Columbus did. You are making a big leap of faith that your best, most educated guess about the shape of the future is right and that it will work out. The downside, in many cases, isn't all that pretty. But oh the upside...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Insurance would have been a good racket to get into. I know some that had to work pretty hard for a few years to get their customer base established, but after that........a fairly easy life. The ones I know take the afternoon off *and play golf. If I had a schedule like that, I might delay ER a few more years. *
Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #29

Quote:
I was thinking about this on my way to w*** this morning. In honor of my favorite, least PC holiday, I was thinking that making the big leap into FIRE is not entirely unlike what Columbus did. You are making a big leap of faith that your best, most educated guess about the shape of the future is right and that it will work out. The downside, in many cases, isn't all that pretty. But oh the upside...
Every estimate or projection is only as good as a person's logic & thoroughness. Maybe that is why ERs worry at times..."ahh maybe I missed something"
Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I was thinking about this on my way to w*** this morning.* In honor of my favorite, least PC holiday, I was thinking that making the big leap into FIRE is not entirely unlike what Columbus did.* You are making a big leap of faith that your best, most educated guess about the shape of the future is right and that it will work out.* The downside, in many cases, isn't all that pretty.* But oh the upside...
And don't forget the luck factor. *Even Columbus was lucky there was a big pice of land between Spain and the real Indies. *Still, I give Columbus a lot of credit for doing something nobody else either could not or would not do.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Insurance would have been a good racket to get into. I know some that had to work pretty hard for a few years to get their customer base established, but after that........a fairly easy life. The ones I know take the afternoon off *and play golf. If I had a schedule like that, I might delay ER a few more years. *
Yeah, but that person beat the very long odds. Even the best insurance companies count themselves successful if they have more than 20% of their new recruits after 4 years. You know what that means? A very, very high flame-out ratio.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #32

I dont know how to code "sandwich artist"?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Insurance would have been a good racket to get into. I know some that had to work pretty hard for a few years to get their customer base established, but after that........a fairly easy life. The ones I know take the afternoon off and play golf. If I had a schedule like that, I might delay ER a few more years
I'm a pretty sh!tty salesman too
Old 10-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Yeah, but that person beat the very long odds.* Even the best insurance companies count themselves successful if they have more than 20% of their new recruits after 4 years.* You know what that means? A very, very high flame-out ratio.
I was referring more to the independent agent who does not work directly for one company. A good example of what you just described is with a company like Aflac. I get calls from them all the time and it is never with the same person. They wear me out.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I was referring more to the independent agent who does not work directly for one company. A good example of what you just described is with a company like Aflac. I get calls from them all the time and it is never with the same person. They wear me out.
Actually, the independents have a very high flame-out ratio, too. The ones who are good salesmen do well, but they could make money selling anything (my dad went from selling fish to selling jewelry). Most of the others leave the business after a year or three, or eke out a living.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I dont know how to code "sandwich artist"
I was looking for "soup nazi" myself, but couldn't find that one either.

HH
Old 10-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
You know I am surprised we don't see more teachers in the ER forum.* Pensions are pretty decent and I think many can get out after 20 or so years.* *

9% for the banking/insurance/finance?* Maybe I am in the wrong biz*
My wife, exwife, sister & a bunch of (now) old girlfriends are teachers. These wonderfully optomistic people are remarkably clueless about retirement. Which is just as well because except for places like NYC and a few others their pensions are inadequate. My unmarried sister is planning to work past 70 to get enough retirement. My wife will retire at 58 in June 06 with 25 years of service with grad degree with about 20K pension (maybe 22k if she adds more hours this last year. It is based on her high three years of service so she has added projects that add to the base salery.) She is retiring because she is burned out (got the "class from hell" last year) and because she can based on my income/anticipated pension.
Her pension is "partially COLAd". She will not get social security. On her teachers salery she was unable to save significantly. Since we got married 12 years ago we paid off bills and started adding to her 403b and a Roth. On her own income she would never be an ER. But most of the teachers I know arre LBYM types which is a good thing. One good thing they do have is medical coverage although that is getting pushed back these days.
But aside from the finances there is just no consciousness of finances and systematic savings. Fortunately most of the teachers are married.
What passes for financial advisors from the 403b agents is almost criminal. Teachers need Vanguard and they are getting worse "service" than First Command.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfHaroldHill
I was looking for "soup nazi" myself, but couldn't find that one either.

HH
Professor HH, are you not the fly-by-night con artist who nevetheless gets the lovely librarian and sees the error of his ways?

Welcome to the board.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #39

Marth -- That's my story, at least for the time being . . . I am guilty as charged. Thanks for the welcome!

HH
Old 10-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #40

I see Big Brother added sandwich artist